How much do you gain at TOM?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Ladies, I am just curious how much you guys gain at your time of the month and if it comes off again relatively quickly.
    I have come to the realization that if I stay the same that week then I've done a heck of a job!
    And if I do gain (usually around 3-4 pounds) then I seem to lose it very fast.... sometimes.
    I realize that it is probably water weight but still it is very discouraging to see the scale moving in the wrong direction.
    Being a woman is annoying! Well... when you are trying to lose weight anyway .

-D.
  • Its my TOM now, Im weighing a few pounds heavier than I would be if it wasnt TOM. It is so irritating, I could easily manage life without it. Still, least the weight does move off quickly.
  • I agree seeing the scale move up even when we know it is due to TOM is not very encourging. I like you though know that if I stayed the same the next weigh-in is going to be awesome. If though I due gain it is anywhere from 2-4 pounds and is gone by a few days after TOM takes a hike. All's I can say is be prepared for a little discourgement each month and hopefully soon it won't bug you because you will know to be ready for it. P.S. I usually don't even weigh myself anymore the week of my period!
  • I am currently living in PMS **** right now. I should start tomorrow and I have a terrible problem with bloating. I do not weigh myself but I know that I bloat up light a ballon b/c how my clothes fit.

It is so depressing feeling like this! I know that it should pass by next week, but I do feel sorry for those around me since I get in a very foul mood. I would est. that I gain 5-7lbs of water weight. I have thought about trying water pills but someone told me when they did it they got a nasty UTI. Has anyone else expierenced this side effect???
  • Quote: I am currently living in PMS **** right now. I should start tomorrow and I have a terrible problem with bloating. I do not weigh myself but I know that I bloat up light a ballon b/c how my clothes fit.

It is so depressing feeling like this! I know that it should pass by next week, but I do feel sorry for those around me since I get in a very foul mood. I would est. that I gain 5-7lbs of water weight. I have thought about trying water pills but someone told me when they did it they got a nasty UTI. Has anyone else expierenced this side effect???

mmmm midol I tried it last month for the first time and it de-b*tched me!
  • I usually cycle about 2 lbs around TTOM but it makes my eating so bad so it may be more...
  • I gain about 2 -3 lbs. For me, I've found that the bloating decreases when I've been eating clean. Anything chipsy or fatty and I bloat UP plus I don't lose all the weight I gain () so I try to incorporate salads as much as possible the week before as my appetite goes through the roof. I'm with everyone else: If my weight is the same when I'm bloated, I'm going to be REALLLLL happy in a week.

Right now, I'm getting incredible hunger pangs. I think it's because the weather's getting colder and that stimulates my hunger senses. Just downed a packet of salted peanuts...hehe. They are my weakness.
  • I actually start losing weight faster the week before my period. I'm also hungrier, so I'm pretty sure my metabolism changes during that time. I don't grudge myself an extra hundred calories or so on those days, and it sure makes me feel better.

I usually gain 1-2 lbs the day before my period and it lasts until the day before the last day of it. I don't worry about it, as long as it drops back to where it was before the water weight gain.
  • I generally gain 5-10lbs of water. It's starts the day before and lasts 3 days afterward. So yeah, I'm running around in stretch pants for a whole week of the month because everything is too tight and I'm too puffy and crabby to care how I look anyway!
  • I haven't gained any. For the last 3 months that i've been doing my plan, i've lost between 2-4 pounds during that TOM. Maybe I would have lost more? Can't really say. I think drinking over a gallon of water every day and no salt helps me.
  • About 5-8 pounds. It only lasts for about three days, so it isn't too bad.
  • lets see - extreme irritability 1 week before. extreme sadness 4 days before. self image goes down the drain on that 4th day before as well and lasts until its almost over. and i usually gain 3-7lbs which is gone by the end of it. blah.
  • Evening Primrose oil helps me with a lot of the PMS symptoms.
  • LOL...One of the reasons I quit gauging my progress by the scale is that once after my TOM I had a 14 pound weight drop in a 24 hour period. It makes it kind of hard to realistically judge how much fat you're losing.
  • I think 12 pounds was the most I'd ever gained in WW while on TOM. That was during my early 20's, and it was like that nearly every month. But heck, I was an itty-bitty tee-tiny 115 pounds back then!!!

Right now, all I can think about is chocolate. THICK, GOOEY CHOCOLATE. Something like a half-melted Hershey Bar.... WITH ALMONDS. OH WELL!