Soooooo disapointed!!

• I have lost a total of 45 lbs since the birth of my daughter in May, but now I seem to have hit a platue. I jog/walk at least 4 times a week and do 6 miles in a little under 2 hours and I do strength training and toning also. Any suggestions? If you ever hit a platue how did you get past it? I have been stuck for almost 2 weeks now. Or am I just getting worked up over nothing?
    Thanks
    Jessica
  • Jessica, I was plateaued for a month...BUT my measurements were changing so I was not going crazy. My weight stayed the same however I lost inches in my waist and my hips. You know especially with running I bet you are building muscle. 5 lbs of muscle weighs the same as 5 lbs of fat but takes up less room. So you may have lost weight in fat but gained some muscle. I suggest you start taking your measurements and stick to your good behavior. Maybe try changing your workouts up. Now that you've got the running part down ever thought of training for a traithalon? Trying swimming or biking?
  • I have ben thinking about doing something like that. my mother in law does marathons for the Lukemia society I thought about training for one, but right now I still get pretty winded right now. I really would like to do one for The march of Dimes, but couldn't find anything about it on thier web site.
    Jessica
  • I would definitely not consider "almost 2 weeks" to be a plateau. Sure, it is frustrating to not see a loss every single time you step on the scale, especially when you know you're doing the right things. However, our bodies just don't work that way. Ask anyone who has lost weight all the way to their goal, and I'm willing to bet a million dollars they did not lose weight every single weight or even *gasp* gained a few times along the way. There are so many factors other than just our diet and exercise that affect that number we see on the scale (water, hormones, muscle, sodium...). What I see a lot of times, too, is that someone will not lose anything for a couple weeks and then BOOM a big loss out of nowhere as everything finally catches up.

I was once eating about 1200 calories a day and did not lose weight for almost 4 months. 4 months! Then I moved, and my eating schedule/menu changed, and I started eating closer to 1700 calories a day, and I dropped 10 pounds in a month. So, ya never know!
  • Jessica, 2 weeks at the same weight is frustrating but just look at it like a test of your dedication. Its really good practice for maintaining.....just chill out and keep doing what you are doing an the weight will move too.

I've been stuck now for 3 months at the same weight, but I know that my measurements have changed and I know that I am getting fitter so its ok.

Hang in there, it'll all work out.
  • Thank you
    Thank you everyone for replying, it has made me feel better. I will "chill" and continue with my efforts.
    Thaks again
  • Hang in there! You are doing great!