More yocheese woes!

• Sandra, help!!! Has this ever happened to you?

The first time I ever made the stuff, it was perfect. The whey all drained off, the remaining cheese was very smooth and just absolutely what I thought it would be.

All of the next times -- and believe me, I've tried four different times since then -- the yogurt has run straight thru the screen and puddled in the bottom. At first I thought it was because I tried using Swiss style, and then full-fat, so I threw that all out and got more of the FF plain. It still ran thru. I even tried putting it in a coffee filter and THEN putting it in the strainer, but then nothing at all happened.

If I can't get this figured out, I'll have to contact the Donvier people. I don't have the receipt or I'd take it back to the store, but it's not really the store's fault. There must be something I'm doing wrong.
  • omg i made this stuff this afternoon....its fantastic. I just used the coffee filter and strainer method,,,,,yum yum yum Im going to look for dip recipes..its so smooth.
    Wonder whats going on with yours Kathy..is there a piece missing from your maker?? did something fall out?? strange
  • No, there's just the two pieces. I am very confused. I still have some of the first batch I made and it's SO good. That's why I'm very disappointed that I can't make more.

I'll do the filter/strainer in a bowl if things don't improve soon. Did you cover yours while it was straining?
  • huh I wonder what the heck is going on..
    I dont cover it Kathy till its done , then place it in a container. The filter sort of falls down on it while its draining though.
  • Kathy I am making it now with the filter & strainer, I don't have it covered, I will let you know how it comes out. The strainer I use hooks onto the bowl which keeps in place.
  • Thanks, Niki. I was wondering about it getting all dried out while it strains. I think I'll check tonight on the batch I have in the box right now and if it's all messed up, I'll dump it.
  • Kathy update on the yocheese, it came out excellent, all the whey was on the bottom of the bowl and it is really thick, I did not cover it and it is not dry at all.
    I am even thawing out frozen cherries to eat with it as a desert.
  • Okay, that does it. I'll store my box in the cabinet and do the normal method for a while. I really like the yocheese with fresh fruit -- there's just such a comfort in eating sweet and slightly sour in the same bowl.