#165 Bale of Turtles enjoying good times

You're on Page 2 of 3
Go to
  • Judy: Good job! You are doing great and I am so happy that you have joined WW. Let me know if you need anything at all...

Eliz: Love the fair and love the funnel cake! I grew up on the east coast so it was all about the funnel cake... out here in the midwest they have elephant ears that are kind of a cross between a soft pretzel and a funnel cake... they are good but the funnel cake is what I covet

Chris: Very cool quilt! I would love to learn how to do that...

Bandit: Welcome back and great job on the walking!

Ariana: How are you doing? Anything new in your neck of the woods?

Talk to you all soon!
    Princess
  • Pictures, Life, My Favorite Turtles (All Of You Ladies!)
    Welcome, Eliz!

Bandit -- good to hear from you! It sounds like you are already getting on track!

Judy -- you quilt too? Awesome! I'm proud of you rejoining now, instead of waiting. It shows that you have the determination to do what it takes. And you're right. It's better than gaining, some of it could be muscle, and my clothes do fit better.

Chrily -- you are a quilter too -- that's great! Hey, down is down, and better than gaining. That's beautiful, Chrily!

Princess -- work is nuts. Nuts, nuts, nuts. I just need to clone myself 3x, and then I'll have enough resources to get it all done. Life is pretty good.

On my end, ladies -- I had a great weekend, went out to dinner with a new friend, saved a bunch of points for dinner -- Saturday, my super high day on the Wendy plan, I went to a Roller Derby game (SO MUCH FUN! ), and I saved some points and had nachos and a Mike's Hard Cranberry Lemonade. The nachos didn't taste as good as they used to, but at least they were part of my points for the day. On the plus side, the alcohol upset my stomach (or maybe the nachos did?) and talked me out of my sweet tooth on the way home. (I have acide reflux, so certain foods sometimes caused instant upset.)

My body has been screaming for sugar and fat these last two days, and the stress is not helping. But I'm holding (by my fingernails, yes, but holding on.) Friday afternoon, I leave for Phoenix, and I'll be gone until Wednesday afternoon, so you guys won't hear from me after tomorrow, probably (Thursday -- grocery day, Friday -- leaving before I can post.)

Here are the quilt pictures, and pictures of me, before I started to lose weight, and now....

(The quilt looks rippled because of the way it's laid out, not because it is actually rippled)

• Dear Turtles,
    I feel so warm and cozy here. This group has grown into a "bale of turtles" all pitching in and helping out. First of all, thanks for your support about my rejoining WW. It was necessary and I thank you all. Who knew that we had so many quilters in the group? Chris, I can't imagine that you'd call yourself a beginner after crafting such a gorgeous quilt. It's beautiful! And Ariana, first of all==you look awesome. Weigh to go! Keep up the good work. I also love your beautiful quilt. You girls have gotten me inspired to get out my machine and continue the Halloween quilt I started and then had to put away because too much was happening. I want to make time for it, so I will.
    Princess, thanks for the offer of WW's help.
    Bandit, glad you're right on track and walking on the track LOL this week.
    Eliz, thanks for chiming in to this great group. I feel like we're all on a roll.
    Gotta run and set up my machine. You all take care and do well.
    Love,
    Judy
  • Ariana: Awesome pictures! I think I have those same sandels that you are wearing in your current pictures... lol. Love the quilt! I really would like to start quilting but don't even know where to begin... I can sew and enjoy it so I guess I just need to pick up a book for beginners and get started.

Judy:You rock! You are an inspiration and a wonderful pal! Can't wait to watch the scale go down and to cheer you on while you are on your journey!

All: Happy hump day! Best wishes for an awesome day!

I made it for just shy of two miles last night on the elliptical machine... now that is a whole new ball game... I can walk a long way but the elliptical is more like jogging and way more of a work out... I think I actually broke a sweat

Have to run but have a great day!
    Susan
  • Thanks for the compliments on my quilt. I've been doing okay for the last few days. Yesterday I was fine with eating. I didn't get much exercise in but did get to try 15 min of my belly dancing video. Definitely works some muscles I thought I had. OUCH! Today I already got in a 20 min walk. The girls started school today so we walked Kayla to school. Now without all the distractions around here, my house is going to be easier to clean and I can get some much needed things done. Plus school starts Sept. 6 for me.

Ariana...my gosh you have changed! You look amazing. If you don't mind my asking, how long has it taken you to lose that much weight? P.S. I really like your quilt too. I'm not sure if I'm ready for a BIG BIG one like that so I'll stick with my baby quilts for now until I get it all figured out.

Well gonna go find some more stuff to do. I'm so happy to get the kids back in school. I got this grin permanently planted on my face today. They were just getting so bored and fighting constantly. I'm enjoying the peace and quiet. Now me and Nicole can have more mom/daughter time and then maybe she will settle down some and not throw so many tantrums.

chris
  • Judy: We're happy to offer support. We all need it at some time. Thank you so much! I don't think I realized just how much my looks have improved -- my weight has not gone done as quickly as I like, but I have gained a lot of muscle, and that definitely helped. Re the quilt -- thank you again! It's fleece. I've never done a cotton quilt before. I have two scrap quilts made from fleece left to finish -- working on them now -- and then I have a bunch of cotton to start on. Go for the quilting -- it's relaxing (at least I find it to be.)

Princess: Thank you! The sandals are from payless. Well thank you. I can sew as well -- I made the dress I'm wearing in that picture -- but the quilting I do is self-taught, on fleece. I have a quilting book, and I'm going to start with that once I use up my cotton fabric and teach myself. You could do the same, I'm sure. Congrats on your two miles. When I started on the elliptical, I could barely do 30 minutes. Now I can do an hour. You can do it!

Chrily: Keep focusing on exercise and eating well. You'll make it. I forget. What are you studying in school? Re pictures: Why thank you! I hadn't realized how much I'd changed -- I knew the numbers, but I didn't realize how much I'd changed until I saw those two photos side by side. No, I don't mind. I did WW seriously for about 9 months and lost the first 25 pounds. Then I stopped counting points, thought I could do it without counting points...and I gained back about 5 points and then hit a plateau for a long time. My job was so horrifyingly stressful and I was trying to find a new one, it was all I could manage at the time. A few months after I moved down to Tucson, I was still trying to lose weight, but not counting points as well or as often as I should -- I would start, be very good, then stop counting points -- it was just so tedious. I reached a turning point in the spring (April? May?), at which point I posted in this group about having "just had it" and I dedicated myself to losing weight fully...I started the Wendy plan...and I lost the other 20 pounds. So, in terms of time actually dedicated to weight loss? About 13 months to lose 45 pounds. In terms of actual time? I started Curves January 2004, and WW at about the same time. So that's 2.75 years. It's a long, long time, and I used to be aggravated that it took that long, but honestly, it took me 4 years to gain 60, and if I had been focused and dedicated, it would have taken only 13 months or so. But there was a lot going on in my life that interfered, and it took me some time to develop strategies and change behavioral patterns that had gotten me in trouble in the first place (such as stress eating.) I took out two of my big stress relievers -- food and shopping -- and so I had to find new ways to cope (hence the sewing and the working out.)

As for me, ladies, today has been my worst day at work yet. Everything that could go wrong has, and in a big way too. My body is just screaming for junk food. But I'm not going there, because today is Subway day, and I am going to work out and have my subway sandwhich and baked chips and a cookie. It's all about the bribery and the delayed gratification. Still. I could really use some chocolate right now. I won't, but I could really use it. Know what I mean?

Alright ladies, back to work. Unless I get a chance to post tonight, I probably won't be here again until next Friday...I'm going out of town, and I won't have time to post again until then...
  • Morning all!

Ariana: I am pretty sure that I picked my shoes up at payless also... too funny! Have a safe trip and we will see/talk to you when you get back. If you do an hour on the elliptical then you are so my hero! I can only do about 15 minutes which equals about 2 miles for me... it will take me a while to build up to an hour.

All: How is everyone doing today?

Not much new here... my son and I are going to enter a 10 miles bike tour in September... I am so excited! It is not a race... just more of a ride but it should be fun and good experience for me.

Have to run!
    Susan
  • I'm doing great and nothing is showing on the scale yet. Boo hoo. Of course I expect to drop thirty pounds overnight and I guess that won't happen. I got to a meeting last night and am determined to figure out how to balance very busy family life with social activities and losing weight. I may have some good news soon and I'll share when I know.

Ariana, we look forward to hearing from you when you get back.
    Princess, I think it is so cool that you'll hop on a bike and enjoy a long ride with your son. Really nice activity.

All goes well and I'm in a hurry as usual. Take care, do well and chime in.
    Judy
  • I had a few extra minutes to chat today. I decided grocery shopping today was silly, since I'll be gone until Wednesday, and I always grocery shop on Thursday. I'm just going to wait.

Thank you, Princess. When I started, 30 was difficult...I'd already been doing Curves for about a year at that time. I worked my way up to an hour, and you can too, if that's what you want. Ooh. I love long bike rides, although I haven't ridden in years. I used to ride everywhere in college.

Judy -- thank you. It will show up. Keep going.

As for me, ladies, I am a bit frustrated. I am feeling very hungry, but I don't seem to lose weight. I think I'm being good. My mom suggested that I am not eating enough period -- which might be possible, but I think it's unlikely, or that I may not be eating enough protein. What do you guys think? I stick to Wendie plan pretty well, and I do 45 minutes of weights 2x a week, 30 minutes of cardio 2x per week and 1 hour of cardio 2x per week. Do you think I'm not eating enough, or just not enough protein or what? I'm open to suggestions at this point.

Well, I'm almost packed for my trip. I leave town at noon tomorrow. Have a great time ladies, and I'll talk to you when I get back!
  • Ariana,
    Just a quicky response. I think your mom may be on the right track. If you are sure you're eating all your points, then change the food you're eating. It's the simplest and best advice when a plateau hits. If you're eating a lot of chicken, try beef and vice versa. If you're eating quite a bit of fruit, switch to veggies for a week. Good luck you're looking great.
    Judy
    and yes, i respond to lean protein better than everything else.
  • Happy Friday!
    Ariana: I agree with the "not enough protein" part if you are doing that much cardio and weight training... I also agree with judy... maybe adding some free veggies in each day would help and also maybe a big pot of the "free" veggie soup would help you get thru the days... I make a pot of that about once a month when I am feeling hungry and a bowl at lunch or supper helps me get thru the day a bit better.

Judy: Your doing great and the scale will show it very soon... keep the faith! Are you getting your water in to help with the initial flush? That gets me kick started sometimes when the scale is not moving... I drink water until I float

Chris, Bandit, Eliz: How are you guys doing? Any big plans for the weekend?

Have to run but will check back later on.
    Susan
  • Ariana, my gosh your story is like mine almost to a tee. In 2004 I did WW for around 9 months too and lost 27 lbs. I gained back 8 of it when I figured it was easier to not track anything. I've been screwing around and not taking it as seriously as I should and my lack of weight loss is showing. I need to get it together and keep it together.

As for your plateau...I'm with the others. Change up your food a bit. I also agree that you probably need more protein. I think that may be part of my problem too. SInce starting back on WW, I have ben staying within my points most of the time (that's not giving it 100% though...my bad), but I know I am not taking enough protein in. I really should try to get more. I also have this nasty aversion to vegetables and fruit. Veggies are tasteless to me and fruit is just too sweet. I'm more of a starch hound and not really a sweets kind of girl.

TO all: Hope the day is going good. I'm going to hang out at home. I did something to my back a couple days ago and its feeling awful today. It hurts to my shoulder blades and down through my hips. It throbs, hurts, and feels like I have a heating pad set on high permanently stuck to it. I don't own a heating pad. It feels warm to the touch though. I don't get it.

Well gonna check my other junk and go do some laundry.

chris
  • Introduction
    Hi All!
    Wow! All of these forums are a bit overwhelming! This is my first post on here. I am currently in my 4th week following the WW program. I've lost 8 1/2 lbs. so far. I love the name of this group and so thought I'd post here. Hope I can remember where I found you all now. I want to take this weight off in a healthy way and keep it off!! I will be 41 in Oct. and have 4 kids 12,8,4, and 3 who I want to be able to keep up! Looking forward to getting to know you all better.
  • Zhai-LYnn!
    Thanks for letting us know a bit about you. I am sure you'll love this group.
    We are very supportive and help each other out. Our group is growing and expanding --the group, not our waistlines!. Good luck with continued success with WW's. You're doing great so far!
    Judy
    Everybody==have a great weekend.
  • Welcome Zhai-Lyn! I'm one of the newer members of this group. I really love it here and I'm sure you will too.

Gotta make this super short for now. I'm supposed to be getting ready to take the girls' to get registered for dance this year. And my hubby is at the hospital with his sister who has been very sick and it doesn't look so good. She has charcot foot from being diabetic and so her bones break really easy and she is extremely obese. So this morning she snapped another bone. She called and wanted my husband to come out there and help her out. He told her no because she has been letting this go and go and not getting the help she needs. She can't even do the basics for herself. SO he told her he would call an ambulance and they came and got her so this is where it all stands now. She is in the end stages of a kidney disease, and has heart problems. Kelly just called and said she has a bad break in her leg. Her kidneys counts are showing that her kidneys are failing, her iron level is low so she's anemic now, and she is severely dehydrated. Doesn't look good but so much of this could have been helped if she would have quit saying that all is okay and told the truth to her doctors. Her friend took he to her appt just last Monday and Robin told the doc. that she felt fine and her foot was just a little sore. Holly was mad and asked Robin why she did that and Robin told her because she doesn't want to be taken from her house to a place she doesn't want to go. How can you possilby know and help someone out who hides it all??? I feel bad because I was P.Oed for her calling for stupid little things all the time, like my husband having to go through an hour worth of drive time to lock her front door for her and turn the light on over the stove. I'm not good in these situations. I blew at him the other night and told him to bring her butt to town and all her meds and force her to stay at their mom's house. We can't keep her here because we live in a tri-level house and there is too many stairs for her. We can't lift her or do all that because of her size. Okay...I said I was keeping this short but I just don't have anyone to talk to and my husband's not here and I don't know what's going on and it stresses me out and frustrates me beyond the norm.

chris