This Week's Healthiest Food - Cucumbers

• http://www.whfoods.com/index.html?PH...cf68e93580e481

Just had one the other day from a friend's garden. I personally just like to peel them, slice them and sprinkle them with a little salt.

How do you like yours?
  • I love cucumbers. I often make salad mixtures with tomatoes and cucumbers and maybe some chickpeas. I don't peel them though because I like getting the nutrients in the skin. I often buy the english cucumbers though because sometimes the normal cucumbers skin is a bit bitter.
  • All you have to do in order to keep the other cucumbers from being bitter is to cut the end off and then rub it in circles on the cut end of the cucumber - this draws out the bitterness - you'll see a little bit of white foam come out of the end. Cut another slice off the cucumber, 'cause that slice will have all the bitter flavor in it, and then you're good to go. These cucumbers have a chemical in them which develops when the vegetables get really hot while they're growing. It's easy to get rid of, and these cucumbers are often cheaper than english ones (at least here), and I think they're pretty tasty.
  • I'm having mine with Hummus right now!
  • I love, love, love the cucumbers. I do opt for the english one's, just because I like the texture better, but they're not that expensive here in CA.
    So, I slice mine up in a bowl, chop a bunch of dill, a little sprinkling of salt, drizzle of olive oil and mix everything. It smells and tastes very fresh and yummy and I just eat it with everything.
  • Quote: All you have to do in order to keep the other cucumbers from being bitter is to cut the end off and then rub it in circles on the cut end of the cucumber - this draws out the bitterness -
    I didn't know that. I'll have to try it, thanks
  • Cucumbers are so refreshing. Ya know how sometimes you just don't know what your mouth wants? maybe a drink, maybe a crunch? Cucumbers are perfect!
  • Make sure to try different cucumber varieties, if you don't like the ones you've tried.

My SO hates standard dark/thick skinned cucumbers, but is fine with armenian, english, and lemon varieties. They're all slightly different.

My favorite right now is to make yogurt/cucumber dip with nonfat plain yogurt, thinly chopped cucumber, and some minced garlic. Dip some veggies or pita in it...mmmm.
  • Quote: My favorite right now is to make yogurt/cucumber dip with nonfat plain yogurt, thinly chopped cucumber, and some minced garlic. Dip some veggies or pita in it...mmmm.
    Oh heck yes! I love making homemade gyros and use that for the cucumber sauce.
  • I eat cucumber literally every day! I often have a cucumber and tomato salad with a little sea salt, pepper, and balsamic vinegar with my lunch. And I always put some cumcumber on my green salad at dinner. I buy whatever variety they are selling at the farmers' market. I do usually peel them (except for armenian cucumbers), though.

Last week I had salmon, egg, and cucumber sandwiches for lunch (with NF cream cheese, chives, capers, and tomatoes).

I have also used cucumbers in stir frys. In fact, I have a recipe for lemony scallops and cucumber that I've been meaning to try for a while now.

- Barbara
  • I slice them into a jar with some sliced onions, cover with 1 part vinegar, 1 part water, and marinate overnight.
  • I love my in fatoush, a middle eastern salad.

Ingredients:
    1 cup diced cucumber
    1/2 lettuce ( Iceberg or Coss ) chopped
    4 tomatoes diced
    1/2 cup fresh mint chopped
    1 cup flat leaf parsley chopped
    1 onion finely chopped
    1/2 cup lemon juice
    3 tbs. olive oil
    1 pitta bread cut into small pieces and toasted under the grill