dont know why I am gaining weight :(

• I run 1 mile every day atleast 4 times a week/swim 4 laps. This is since last 3 months. I count calories and resist my sweet tooth temptations even at parties and I went from 154 to 145 lbs. (i am about 5 ft tall). But I dont know why I gained 2 lbs this week... :

I did everything right, ran despite my callous-problem, ate well... I am just so frustrated coz every single lb lost is very important to me. I gain a pound whenever I eat ANYTHING more than a salad (even half a sandwich or a taco occassionally).

I hope this weight gain is temporary this week Because I just dont know whats going on?

Thanks for listening to my frustration!
  • could be for a number of reasons..

not eating enough.... ?
    portion size increasing a little... ?
    period due... ?
    might just be your body adjusting..

stick with it... u will get there..
  • awww willmakeit, don't get frustrated. I've seen 2 lb jumps twice in the past month alone. They happen. Even when you're doing everything right, that scale will burst your happy bubble. Just keep doing what you're doing and it will go right back down. Make sure you're not eating salty foods as those will cause you to retain water, thus giving you the false idea that you've gained weight.

Keep going!!
  • I think we all understand your frustration. My bet is that you are retaining water. It is very heavy and is the likely culprit of any gains for you. It could be an indication of 1. your monthly, or 2. you are dehydrated and your body is clinging on to every ounce of water. Don't fret, don't give up, it'll come off.
  • I go with the others....drink lots of water fto lush out your system...You should have around 8 8 oz glasses a day. It is likely water retention and is temporary.
  • There will be times when you do everything right and the scale still won't cooperate. It's much more important to look at weight over time rather than a single weekly weigh-in. There is at least 1 post every week on this site saying exactly what you said - scale bobbles are a NORMAL albeit frustrating part of nearly every dieter's life. One of the best things I ever did was separate my feelings of success and motivation from the scale.

Before, if the scale didn't "reward" me, I could lose motivation and feel like all my hard work was for nothing. I can only control my own behaviors, I can not control the scale. Once I accepted that and made goals that I COULD meet that were not related to the scale, I stayed positive.

Plateaus and weight fluctuations are normal and to be expected. There are 50+ reasons why your weight could fluctuate. That doesn't mean we have to LIKE them, but don't let them rattle you.
  • What they all said.

Scales are and do not necessarily provide the best day to day or even week to week measure of our success.
  • willmakeit - As a fellow calorie counter I know how hard it is to work so diligently at being under a certain amount and working out only to have the math sock you in the gut with a gain...but hang in there. It could be your scale, could be water retention, could be TTOM...there are so many factors that influence this. Just keep up your good work. Have you thought about maybe going my measurements? They are far less likely to fluxuate and in my opinion more important than what the scale tells ya!
  • now that you all mentioned it, I agree I am drinking a lot more water last 2 weeks due to the heat. Also my TTOM is near!! But I hope I will lose all this weight after that!

Thanks.