Anyone else deal with 'mouth hunger'?

• I know, it's a strange concept and I'll try to explain.

My mouth wants something to eat. I'm not hungry or thirsty, I have no emotional things going on, I'm not bored. It's not satisfied with gum. And it only happens in the evenings after dinner.

Unfortunately I tend to grab a piece of cheese or a slice of deli ham or turkey. One slice of cheese wouldn't be a problem, it generally turns into 2-3. Sometimes it's a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. If I'm not careful I can eat a second dinner or more in the evening.

To combat it I've tried a few different things that sometimes work and sometimes doesn't:

Get away from the TV and family room.

Drink a quart of ice drink ( I use the invisible kool-aid 1/2 teaspoon powder in 1 quart water + 3-4 packets of splenda) with lots of ice. Then keep filling it up with water as I drink, I wind up drinking between 1-2 quarts of ice water in the evening.

Drag hubby for a walk around the neighborhood-not so much now that it's so hot and humid.

Am I the only one with a strange mouth? What do you do to combat it?
    Is it acutally just boredom eating and I don't realize it?

Sarah
  • Same here Sarah... I'll be hunting for something to snack on even when I'm not hungry at all.. and no emotional drama is afoot. I think fer me it is a form of dealing with boredom. Although I have thought perhaps I am trying to fill some "emotional hole" or need ?? I'll drink Ice tea or suck on SF lemon drops, and turn my attention to going outside to find rogue weeds or pick up a magazine or book to read.
  • Oh boy, I have the same problem! I think I can eat for every reason BUT hunger! Boredom, stress, when I'm a bit down...
    I found if I chew gum ,that helps, or chomp on some ice. Sugar free hard candies are good too.
    And I also have to keep very busy and away from the kitchen or pantry!
  • all the time and the worst time for me is night!
  • I know I'm gonna want to eat every few hours and that includes at night. At first it started out being that my stomach needs enough food in it at 10pm so I can take my meds without hurling. Now I'm just used to it. I actually plan these. I know I'm gonna eat breakfast, lunch, supper, a snack mid morning, a snack mid afternoon, and after dinner. I keep things low and plan something filling for the last snack so I don't go for something else. My evening snack last night was a 5g (double fiber) of fiber wheat toast with cherry jam (1 tsp). It was sweet and healthy. I eat all day so I don't feel deprived at all. It's the days when I DO'NT do this that I feel deprived and binge late.
  • Is the Pope Catholic? ROFL!!!

Raising my hand! Yesterday for example, I made the delicious Taco Bake. It is filled with nutrients and I have to say, that a serving really made me feel satisfied. I still had the urge to eat - out of mouth hunger. It tasted so good, but I was full. I had a couple of nibbles but contained myself with the thought that I can make it anytime I want and have some later if I got hungry. It's a big downfall for me. Something that I will have to be constantly aware of and en' guard of D------> (that's a sword) LOL. We are in the learning process. I know that it is something that never goes away, but requires dicipline and self-control. Unfortunately, there will be no short cuts here.
  • Sometimes I eat a serving then put it up and if I still want it or am thinking about it an hour later, I allow myself to have another serving.
  • Last night the munchies hit as I was making my lunch so I ate a big dill pickle. It seemed to satisfy what ever my mouth wanted and I didn't eat the rest of the night. Yeah!

Sarah