Some things I am noticing...new habits...

• Hi all! Since beginning my weight-loss journey in January of this year, I have noticed some changes in my habits and my mindset towards a lot of things. I was wondering if you all have had similar revelations about yourselves.

1) I am finding myself making foods for my family the more healthy way without even thinking about it. For example, I don't use margarine for cooking that has to have the fat, I use real butter. I use olive oil for all things that require an oil (except for like a cake or something like that). I have 2 toddlers and I find myself thinking far more about nutritional value than I did before for their meals (it can be hard to get a toddler to eat enough to add up to the recommended amounts).

2) When I go out to eat, I automatically go right to the 'diet' or 'weight-watchers' section of the menu...I don't even look at the rest. It has become shear habbit now. I am doing cal counting, but give serious KUDOS to the restaurants that are now supporting more healthy life-styles.

3) When I am at potlucks where I know I can't calorie count, I focus more on what looks the most nutritious so I at least am getting more nutrition even if I am getting more calories.

4) When I am stressed or have just had a long day, I now know that the chips and cookies won't relieve my stress...but exersize will totally nip it! At the beginning of my new life-style, I had to convince myself when I was stressed that I needed to go for a walk or something. Now, I am like "I am stressed...I need to get out and kick butt on a fast walk or get on the treadmill or something". My whole attitude is different when I get a good one in!...sweating heavily makes it even better!

5) I am now grabbing a cup of WATER instead of the diet pepsi!!! BIG ONE for me! I RARELY ever drank water before.

There are more that aren't coming to head at this moment, but I am sure you get what I am saying. These aren't just things I am always telling myself I need to do, these things have become HABITS!!!!!! ...and to me...well...that is a HUGE milestone!!!

If you feel the same way about some of these things or even other things that I haven't mentioned, please feel free to add on! I would love to think on other things that maybe I could train myself on. I am such a creature of habit!
  • Congratulations on the weight loss and the new habits. I have noticed very similar habits and it makes the weight loss so much more relaxed when It all becomes second nature to choose the healthier foods and exercise. I am definitely not as stressed as I was and find that walking helps to relieve my stress. I also just look at the "diet" sections in a menu, it's second nature now. Good luck on your continued successful journey.
  • Quote: Congratulations on the weight loss and the new habits. I have noticed very similar habits and it makes the weight loss so much more relaxed when It all becomes second nature to choose the healthier foods and exercise. I am definitely not as stressed as I was and find that walking helps to relieve my stress. I also just look at the "diet" sections in a menu, it's second nature now. Good luck on your continued successful journey.
    lilybelle...I rarely reply to general posts all over the board, but I read all over the place. I just wanted to let you know that you are a downright inspiration to me. I read your story some time ago and was absolutely amazed by you. You go, girl!!! I bet there isn't a day that goes by that you aren't loving the new life you have made for yourself.
  • 4) When I am stressed or have just had a long day, I now know that the chips and cookies won't relieve my stress...but exersize will totally nip it! At the beginning of my new life-style, I had to convince myself when I was stressed that I needed to go for a walk or something. Now, I am like "I am stressed...I need to get out and kick butt on a fast walk or get on the treadmill or something". My whole attitude is different when I get a good one in!...sweating heavily makes it even better!

This is so me too! When I get stressed I just want to go out and sweat my agression out.

Some things I am noticing -

1. I can now eat salad...I swear it was like I was allergic to veggies before this...

2. I cannot tell the diff in diet cheese, 1% milk, Low Carb Salad Dressing etc....find myself making all kinds of smart choices.
  • I've made it a habit to have breakfast and coffee at home every morning, and to bring lunches to work everyday.

Chopping vegetables happens so frequently I'm beginning to think it's a hobby.

Restaurant dinners are becoming more and more rare.

I look at nutritional labels on every single item I purchase.
  • Quote: Chopping vegetables happens so frequently I'm beginning to think it's a hobby.

I DITTO THAT!!!
  • This is going to sound silly I know but I used to hate chopping veggies but now I think it's therapeutic and I feel so good that I'm eating fresh veggies that I kinda like it! I'm weird I know.
  • Yes! I've noticed habit changes too! Feels good when someone mentions eating out at fast food places that I cringe now, for the most part! Weakness shines through now and then, but 9 times outta 10 I can't make myself do it.

I automatically check calories and such now, go for skim milk, fat free in some stuff, sugar free in others....

I think the biggest thing for me is that I'm making myself eat more often, and better things! I was in that cycle of eating 1 huge meal a day then snacking at night on oreos and stuff...I had to break that first thing!

Kim
  • Oh yes, lots of changes. Too many to count. For one, I'm super conscious of fats in foods. I didn't used to be. I'd just eat whatever without even knowing the fat and calorie content. And now that I look back, I'm horrified at some of the crap I used to eat on a regular basis. No wonder I was fat and had high cholesterol and blood pressure. After changing my lifestyle and losing over 80 pounds, both of those are now normal.

I find myself 'nitpicking' through foods more now, at restaurants or when I grocery shop. Like in the store, I used to just grab any old thing off the shelves and toss it into my cart. Now I stand and read every single label. Nothing goes into my cart without me knowing the nutrition info. And in restaurants instead of ordering just whatever looks good, I read all ingredients (and nutrition info if available) make sure nothing is deep-fried, fried in oil or covered in sauces, and even ask the waiters for modifications on certain dishes.

I find myself grabbing WHOLE grain breads instead of plain white bread. Although I'll still eat white bread on occasion, for the most part (pitas, tortillas, etc.) I buy the kind made with whole wheat/whole grain flour.

I walk right past bakeries. They can take that crap and eat it themselves.

I make sure I have something in the morning, even if it's just a glass of skim milk. Which is usually what I have most of the time. I just can't eat early in the morning and I know I need SOME form of nutrition, so an 8-ounce glass of skim milk is, most mornings, my breakfast. I used to not eat breakfast at all. I'd wait till 11 or 12:00 to eat and then pig out on junk.

I'm conscious of a lot of things now, but I'd have to say the thing I'm the MOST conscious of is calories. Nothing goes into my mouth that I don't know the calorie count for. Unless, of course, we go out to eat and I have something that I'm totally clueless about. But even still, I do my best to make the wiser choices and try and pick the lesser of all the evils. Usually at that point I don't even try to count the calories. I just mark it as an enjoyed meal without obsessing over how many calories I've eaten (if it's already eaten there's no point in kicking myself, it's done) and move on.
  • Thanks for sharing that great post. Same here! I am really starting to develop good automatic habits too! Like you said... in a restaurant automatically looking for the healthful items; and like today at work there was a BBQ -- without even really thinking I just took some chicken (and picked the skin off) and some watermelon... skipping the potato salad, baked beans and ice cream. And I did not feel deprived; I feel GREAT when I know I am doing healthful things!
  • Quote: Thanks for sharing that great post. Same here! I am really starting to develop good automatic habits too! Like you said... in a restaurant automatically looking for the healthful items; and like today at work there was a BBQ -- without even really thinking I just took some chicken (and picked the skin off) and some watermelon... skipping the potato salad, baked beans and ice cream. And I did not feel deprived; I feel GREAT when I know I am doing healthful things!
    Doesn't it feel wonderful? I find that after I eat healthy foods I feel good about myself. But if I slip and eat something yukky? I feel like a slug the rest of the day. Psychological, I'm sure, but still - I just feel... yuk.
  • Quote: I find that after I eat healthy foods I feel good about myself. But if I slip and eat something yukky? I feel like a slug the rest of the day. Psychological, I'm sure, but still - I just feel... yuk.
    I totally ditto that!
  • I am starting to crave healthy foods and for dinner tonight I BBQ some salmon kaboobs. MMMMM!!! Yummy!!!! They had onions, bell peppers and salmon they were great. I rarely eat a carb for dinner anymore. I eat some meat and vegie and some fruit. I am craving fruit more too.

One thing that I am working on is sugar. I have a hard time passing up cake and donuts so I don't buy those but when they are around at work I am getting better at saying "no" and if I do have one my body reminds me all day about what a bad decision it was. I feel yucky when I eat too much sugar now. That never happened before.

One more odd thing that I am doing now is I am looking for another job, but I don't want to give my job up now because I walk around 6-7 miles a day at work alone and I am afraid of getting a nice office job. I work retail now.