Wonderful wonderful Cauliflower

• Good thing about this stuff is you can eat a whole head of it and not take in many calories. I love mashed cauliflower, making it similar to mashed potatoes, simply adding in a little salt and fat-free butter spray. I also love it in cheese sauce, but for obvious reasons I don't eat it that way very often. I also like it raw.

How does everyone here fix their cauliflower?
  • I agree!! Last weekend, I found at the grocery store, prepackaged, cut and washed cauliflower and broccoli. I bought two bags (wish I bought more!!!). Just pop in the microwave for 4 minutes and the veggies are steamed to perfection.
  • I love cauliflower but it is one of the vegetables that my SO refuses to eat in any form, so most of the cauliflower I eat is off vegetable trays at parties. I would be hard for me to go through a head of cauliflower by myself, so I almost never have it at home. But maybe I'll be inspired by some of the ideas posted here. They have it at my farmers market and I always look at it wistfully.

- Barbara
  • YUMMMMM.....me too! I especially like mashed cauliflower with roasted garlic!

It is also good grated and used in stir fry --like a pseudo rice
  • I love fresh cauliflower, just cooked plain with a little salt/pepper and butter. I'm not crazy about it raw, though in a salad it's fine. Mashed is good, and yum on the cheese sauce Linda. I've also got a recipe for curried cauliflower, though I haven't tried it yet.
  • Roasted Cauliflower in the Oven is awesome to me and even DH likes it.

Cut into florets, spinkle with olive oil, salt pepper and I add red pepper flakes. Bake until browned and tender. I like it kinda crunchy..Yum Yum
  • Yummy Yum!

I love it too! Steamed with butter! I'm going to have some tonight.
  • I've got lots of Indian recipes for cauliflower. (traditionally they may be high in calories with butter etc...but I make it with no/minimal oil and low in calories. I also add it in tofu stir fries.

one of my fav spicy cauliflower recipes:

Take a non-stick pan and spray a single splash of "I cant believe its not butter".
    Then add 1 tsp of cumin seeds.
    Add 1 cup of cauliflower florets and stir briskly on high flame for 1 minute. Add 1 tsp of red chilli powder or cayenne pepper, salt and a pinch of splenda. Mix and stir briskly for 1 minute.
    Now add a sprinkle of basil and oregano and mix.
    sprinkle 3-4 tbsp of water and cover it for 5 minutes stirring occasionally. Keep on low flame.

Now squeeze 1/2 a lemon and its ready to eat!
  • I'm exceedingly lazy, and cutting up a head of cauliflower is just beyond me. But I do love it, so I buy it frozen most of the time.

Green Giant has these boxes of cauliflower in cheese sauce. The whole box is only 150 calories, so I sometimes have a box as my lunch or dinner. Well, why not? Better than a dinner of macaroni and cheese, and it's more filling!

I'm another one who makes Indian recipes with it. Aloo Gobi (cauliflower and potatoes) is a favorite.

I also put it in tomato-based vegetable soup, along with a bunch of other veggies.

When I'm willing to cut up a fresh one, I'll munch on it raw, sometimes with a low-fat, low-cal dipping sauce.
  • We get fresh cut cauliflower in our grocery store.
  • Quote: Green Giant has these boxes of cauliflower in cheese sauce. The whole box is only 150 calories, so I sometimes have a box as my lunch or dinner. Well, why not? Better than a dinner of macaroni and cheese, and it's more filling!
    I buy those all the time. I also buy our store brand cauliflower in addition to Green Giant. All of their frozen veggies are in a lowfat cheese sauce and I often have them as sides to something else or I'll even eat a box as a mid-afternoon snack.
  • I buy it raw in the bag.
    Quote: I love cauliflower but it is one of the vegetables that my SO refuses to eat in any form, so most of the cauliflower I eat is off vegetable trays at parties. I would be hard for me to go through a head of cauliflower by myself, so I almost never have it at home. But maybe I'll be inspired by some of the ideas posted here. They have it at my farmers market and I always look at it wistfully.

- Barbara
    In the produce department, where the bagged salad mixes are, they have already cut up bags of a cauliflower/brocolli mix. Works well for me, none goes to waste this way.