Hmmm...bathroom problems?

• Hi everyone-

So I started Phase 1 on Monday and I'm already down 5 pounds....so great! I'm excited!
    But I can't go to the bathroom. I feel that I have to go, but nothing is happening.
    I can't help thinking that maybe if I do go, I'll lose another 5 pounds.

Any suggestions? I'm eating my legumes and nuts, so I think I'm getting enough fiber. Has this happened to anyone else?

Sorry if this is TMI----
    Michele
  • Water
    I have that exact same problem. When I went for my check up yesterday, the doctor told me I wasn't drinking enough water. He said he tells his female patients to drink at least 80 ounces a day. I'm thinking I'd stay on the toilet half the day if I did that!! I'm going to try to increase my water and hopefully I won't float away or blow up!
  • I always eat a ton of veggies and legumes and drink a lot of water but I still have to take sugar free Metamucil powder when iam in phase 1. I still take it even now in phase 2.
  • Hi Michele, yep... another commonly reported transition symptom. Some folks have used stool softeners, upped water intake.. or increased fiber intake with SF benefiber tabs. I'm sure the gals here have other suggestions for ya..but mostly, "it will pass"
  • Metamucil or Benefiber is your friend.

Careful of the nuts. Please stick to the recommended ONE serving per day. Nuts are high calorie and really don't have much helpful fiber. One cup has 12 grams but we sure as heck can't eat a whole cup!

Water and extra veggies will make everything come out all right.
  • Thanks everyone! Off to the drug store I go! I weighed myself today and had a slight GAIN...must be the nuts. I appreciate your help.
    Michele
  • Definitely drink LOTS of water. Especially if you are in a warmer climate. Bathroom habits are an excellent indicator of whether you are drinking enough water.
  • I am on Atkins so not sure if you can have this or not. But I have had lots of problems with constipation. Since adding a bowl of oats 3 times a week for my breakfast, I haven't had a bit of problem.
  • ground flax!
  • Michelle is only on Phase I so flax and oatmeal are not allowed. They are great solutions for this problem on Phase II, however.