Lap Band FAQ

You're on Page 3 of 7
Go to
  • you will be able to feel your port if you press on your stomach. it feels like the round end of a stethescope. your biggest scar will be on top of it or near it. good luck
  • Quote: My insurance will pay for the lap band surgery. I wonder about the port though. Will it be visible? Will you be able to feel it? I really don't want something that can bothered by clothing, or exposed if I'm wearing a swimsuit. Silly concerns, I'm sure, but concerns nevertheless.

First, you are VERY luck your insurance will pay.

You won't be able to see your port. As you start losing weight, you'll be able to feel it with your hand when you press on your stomach. (Just like Mistymed said!)

Good luck to you. If you have any other concerns, please post them. This is a great group and everyone has been wonderful to me!
  • I agree with the sister chicks....you prob won't be able to see it... only feel it. But isn't that small bump better than big rolls

Congrats on your insurance covering it.

• Leenie- so true!

I haven't lost all my weight yet, but I can feel my port if I press down on it.
  • questions
    What are the pre-operative procedures for LB Surgery?

thanks
  • Quote: What are the pre-operative procedures for LB Surgery?

thanks
    Hi Beckyjo, it really depends on your insurance. Some will make you jump through hoops and others won't. Most will require 6 months or more of supervised weight loss (doctor) and some medical testing. They may require you to go to a nutritionalist and a psychologists. A way to find out to find out is call your insurance company and ask them.

Good Luck, Leenie
  • September 26 is my last weight check (yeah!) and Ive seen the nutritionist and psychologist. With everything coming to an end and the surgery becoming more than just a hopeful dream, what are some things i can do to prepare for surgery? And for life after surgery?
  • MelJoi....I'm considering lapband surgery, when is your's scheduled?
  • Hi everyone
    I am considering the LB procedure, still going to look into insurance and such, but wanted to know about post op pregnancy......what if you become pregnant....how would that be delt with, does anyone know......
    I have a daughter she is 2 1/2 and wanted our kids to be close in age as my brother and i weren't...there is 6 years between us......but I am totally willing to wait if it means being healthy and not having high blood pressure while pregnant this go round. thanks for your help
  • Hi Roots Girl, and

From what I understand, if you become pregnant the doctor will remove the fill from the band so you are able to eat more. Thats it !!

But this is really something you need to discuss with the surgeon so that you can hear it strait from the horses mouth

GOOD LUCK !!!!
  • I am a 4 yr lapbander, 75 lbs lost..
    I eat what I want just less amount wise.
    I do avoid new foods in a public place just in case?
    I can not eat leftovers, as they are too dry and don't stay down.
  • If anyone wants anymore information just pm me..
  • I have to post three more threads to be able to pm so this is my third.\lol
  • Quote: I have to post three more threads to be able to pm so this is my third.\lol
    You might want to join us on the regular board... I'm sure the girls/guys would like to get to know you.

Leenie
  • I went to a seminar last night about the lap band. I am seriously considering it but I am very nervous as my twin sister almost died having gastric bypass. I know that the lap band is safer but it is still in the back of my head.
    One question I have is I am in the process of getting a divorce I am trying to decide whether to stay on my husbands insurance (Horizon blue cross blue shield) or switch to my own. A friend of mine who has already begun the process has Aetna and she only has to do 3 months of a medically supervised diet. I don't know how long my current insurance requires but I am looking to get this done as soon as possible.