French Food and Alcohol

• Hi,

I'm studying abroad in France for 6 weeks starting in June! I know its a long way away, but I'm worried about my weight! I want to continue losing weight and reach my 155 goal by the end of the summer, but I'm not sure if I'll have enough room to pack a scale, I don't know a lot about french food point-wise, AND my schedule might be too planned-out and tightly-packed for exercise! Do people have different eating habits there? What can I expect? I'm also worried about alcohol -- I'm in college, and I know everybody will want to go out on the town at night... and we all know alcohol=points. I don't know what they drink over there, and how many points everything is!

Help!
  • it is a different culture completely and especially when it comes to food.

i would recommend getting a couple of books i know of that document french culture so you can try to avoid some faux pas. Almost French by Sarah Turnbull (this is about an aussie girl who moves to Paris) and French Women Don't Get Fat. I am sure you have heard of the latter.

French Women Don't Get Fat should give you some good ideas on how to enjoy yourself while watching your weight and is ideal for you.

Moderation is the key with french cuisine.
  • French food is not as bad as we think it is. They actually eat very well. They don's consume as much fast food as North Americans do and they eat smaller portions and the meals don't seem to be as heavy.

The trick is to get plenty of exercise by walking, (which most French people do) eat plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables, limit sweets - but don't deprive yourself- and watch your portions on bread, wine and bakery items.

Drink water with lemon or drink Perrier with meals and have have one glass of wine per day if you want to.

Enjoy your trip!
  • Lots of fresh fruits and vegetables will be easy to get. Portions should be smaller as well and way more expensive, unfortunately.

Try ethnic food options -- moroccan and japanese are lovely in Paris. I have no idea where you are going to be, but I know that I will seek out these cuisines when I'm in Paris.

Farmer's Markets are abundant in all parts of France. There you can stock up on fresh fruits.

I would stay away from the bread unless you can find some whole grain breads.

You can get non fat yoghurt in France (sans maigre) and non fat milk as well.

Drink lots of water, less wine and walk if you can.

I was in Paris and Brussels in March and came back lighter. It can be done.

lala
  • When I was in France, I had no problem. First of all, their portions are WAY smaller and most of it is healthier. But watch the croissants and the french bread (they serve with breakfast). The only unhealthy food I ate there was a cheeseburger and fries (at Planet Hollywood). Where are you staying? Paris? Since the Metro has a million stops, get off at an early stop so you can get in some extra walking. I lost weight while I was there actually (and I ate crossaints and buttered french bread EVERY morning).

I only wine tasted while I was there and didn't go out drinking. So I can't offer you any advice in that arena, but the consensus regarding alcohol and dieting is rotating one alcoholic drink with a glass of water to keep the calories to a minimum.
  • Wow thanks for the great comments! Just so you all know, I'll be in Rennes for 4 weeks, then Paris for 2, so your advice is certainly something I value! I'll be sure to use the phrase "sans maigre" beaucoup (merci lalala) and its great to know I'll be able to find farmers markets! I'll also definitely use moderation and try to read up on french food!

As for the alcohol, thanks for the tip, Harpo! That water trick will certain serve me well not only in france, but at college in the states as well!

Thanks guys!
  • I picked up a car in Rennes once. Drove through the city, lovely, lovely, lovely.

Make sure you have time to explore the countryside and maybe take the train up toward the coast (St. Malo comes to mind).

A great book on Paris markets is Paris in a basket.