Any Suggestions On Workouts

• i just started a diet today which is basically the Atkins Diet modified...i also wanted to workout as well...does anyone have any suggestions of effective workouts for someone just starting off??
  • Well when I first started working out...I just walked for 15-20 mins a day 5 days a week. That was 4 months ago. Now Im running/walking 30 mins 4-5 days a week. I also added in some weight training. Anything is better then nothing when you are first starting out. Good luck!
  • Depending on what you can physically handle, I would suggest doing cardio of some form 4-5 days per week and starting some strength training 3 days per week. Try to go for more than 30 mins cardio (I personally aim for 45 mins to 1 hour).

For the strength training, you could get some resistance bands, free weights and a stability ball and have a look for a good DVD so you can do it at home. Otherwise, pick up a fitness magazine and flick through for some ideas. If you are completely foreign to strength training, pehaps post a message in the ladies who lift section and they will be able to give you some more specific details. I have never used it, but Body For Life for Women is a popular program on here for strength training.

Remember, any movement is better than none
  • One thing you might consider is the the Walk Away the Pounds series by Leslie Sansone. (think I spelled that right)

Anyways, her tapes are great for starting out for any person no matter what kind of shape you are in. These workouts are basically walking at home workouts. The smaller you make the moves, the easier they are and the bigger you make the moves, the harder they are. I started these when I was at my heaviest and still do them now once in a while now that I have lost weight.

There are lots of threads about these workouts in the exercise video section. I think you will really like them.