Lower fat PB spread

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Anyone have a lower fat alternative to Peanut butter? I know about peanut wonder, but can't find it here.
  • Do You Have Smuckers Natural? It Is Good
  • "Natural" or "reduced fat", peanut butter is pretty much peanut butter in the calorie department. Nearly 200 calories in 2 tablespoons.

I too have heard of the "better 'n butter" by Wonder, which is half the fat and calories of regular peanut butter, but I've never found it either.

I personally stay away from the stuff. Natural or otherwise.
  • YEP YOU ARE RIGHT LLV .. I checked the calories and for 2 TBS of smuckers natural it is 210 and the fat is saturated and 2.5 you stay away from it.? do you just not like it.. good on you for knowing the calories.
  • Quote: YEP YOU ARE RIGHT LLV .. I checked the calories and for 2 TBS of smuckers natural it is 210 and the fat is saturated and 2.5 you stay away from it.? do you just not like it.. good on you for knowing the calories.
    I love peanut butter. But I can think of LOTS more things to blow 200 calories on, lol
  • The odd thing is that I never really cared much for PB until I started dieting. Now it's probably my fav food, LOL.
  • Actually, every now and then, I get in the mood for a PB&J sammich. What I do is take ONE piece of bread, spread a very thin layer of peanut butter on just half of it, add a little grape jelly (or one of my faves, my blueberry preserves) on the OTHER half of the bread and fold it over.

That usually satisfies my PB&J craving
  • Have you tried Better n Peanut Butter? or Peanut Wonder?(which I haven't tried but apparently is the same thing)
    Some people like it, some don't. I'm in the camp that does. I know it doesn't taste just like peanut butter, but it's "peanut butter-ish" and I really enjoy it.

http://www.betternpeanutbutter.com/

http://www.hungry-girl.com/askhg/ask...s.php?isid=425

a not so good review:
    http://www.robert.to/reviews/betternpeanut.html

OH MY GOODNESS! hahaha
    I just read that you know about Peanut Wonder. I'm so silly. Need to pay attention! Well, maybe you can find Better n PB then?
    I wish there were more alternatives, too. Believe me! Why are nuts so calorie dense?
  • Hi, my name is Jill, and I'm a peanut butter addict.

I could NEVER give it up. I wouldn't care if it had 500 calories per lick, I'd still find a way to work it in

On a sandwich, you'd be surprised at how much 2 tablespoons really is. I LOVE peanut butter, but I can't even stand THAT much on a sandwich! I usually only use 1 tablespoon, and that's on a whole sandwich (2 pieces of bread).

I have recently switched to natural peanut butter (make sure the ONLY ingredient is peanuts) in order to avoid trans fats--they're found in almost every peanut butter out there (other than natural) because of the hydrogenated oils--they are what keeps the oil from separating. I've found, though, that if I put my natural pb in the fridge, it doesn't separate nearly as much, if at all, so no need for those pesky trans fats here

Oh, and mine has 180 calories per 2 tablespoons, so 90 for 1. I use a full 2 in my morning smoothie, though--better than having a craving and getting pb candy instead
  • Quote: [COLOR=indigo]
    On a sandwich, you'd be surprised at how much 2 tablespoons really is.
    Yes, that's very true. But some people like to just dunk a spoon into it and go to town, lol!

As I said, when I want peanut butter on a sandwich, I spread a very thin layer
  • Quote: Have you tried Better n Peanut Butter? or Peanut Wonder?
    I haven't tried it, but I'm not a huge peanut butter fan (only get a taste for it once in a while). My son, however, could live on the stuff.
  • Quote: But some people like to just dunk a spoon into it and go to town, lol!
    umm, hi, that would be me. I'll walk into a room with a jar of peanut butter, and someone ight ask, "What are you going to eat that on?" and I responds, "A spoon." I can only do this, though, with reduced-fat peanut butter (preferably Skippy) because it's n ot as sticky as full-fat peanut butter and it's sweeter than natural peanut butter. With the natural (which is all I buy for myself now), it's both too sticky and too bland for me to eat plain--thank goodness!
  • Quote: umm, hi, that would be me. I'll walk into a room with a jar of peanut butter, and someone ight ask, "What are you going to eat that on?" and I responds, "A spoon." I can only do this, though, with reduced-fat peanut butter (preferably Skippy) because it's n ot as sticky as full-fat peanut butter and it's sweeter than natural peanut butter. With the natural (which is all I buy for myself now), it's both too sticky and too bland for me to eat plain--thank goodness!
    Ha! Yep

Gee, I take it you're a PB-aholic.

• What is your peanut butter smoothie recipie? do you mind sharing? thanks much.
  • This is a little recipe I created and whipped up. Cut the calories in half and still get the full 2 tbsp. It worked out pretty well, if I do say so myself!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Lower Fat/Lower Calorie Peanut Butter Spread

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 11 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Misc.

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1/2 cup natural peanut butter
    8 ounces fat-free cream cheese
    1 tablespoon splenda Brown Sugar Blend
    1 teaspoon cinnamon

Combine ingredients.

Store in refrigerater.

Best used as a spread on crackers or bread as a PBJ sandwich.

Yield:
    "22 tablespoons"
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 102 Calories; 6g Fat (56.1% calories from fat); 6g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 2mg Cholesterol; 156mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0