May Walking Challenge

You're on Page 1 of 4
Go to
  • Ok!!!! We're in May now and it's time to begin our May Walking Challenge! I'm actually scaling back on my May challenge as I plan to follow the official 3-Day training program to prepare for the 60 mile walk for breast cancer in October. So, I've mapped it all out and I've figured out all of my challenges for May, June, July, August, September, and October!

May - 59 miles
    June - 77 miles
    July - 114 miles
    August - 135 miles
    September - 176 miles
    October - 101+ miles

I'll not only be walking the mileage noted above, but I'll also be doing cross training activities such as yoga, pilates and step aerobics two days a week. I plan to walk four days a week, cross train two days a week and rest one day a week.

So my official May walking challenge is 59 miles! What's your challenge?
  • Wow! That is a great challenge Genesis. I failed my April challenge miserably. I hope that May will finally get me moving. I'm going to set my goal for 15 miles, 1 mile at least 3 days a week. Hopefully I will get more in. Thanks for setting up the thread. Later - Amy
  • So far in May I've got in one 5 mile walk and one 25 minute cross training session!
  • Amy, Good luck with your challenge! You can do it!!!!
  • I'll go for 65 miles! Last month I started at 50 and ended up with 60.68, so I think that's a reasonable increase.

Happy Walking!

Michele
  • Hi Genesis, Amy and Michele
    Can I join you? My goal is 75 miles. I know it's lots, but if I don't aim high I might just always push it off unitl a different day. I'm going for a walk once my husband gets home from work he's always willing and that really helps me. I'm excited for this. Woohoo!
  • Welcome DewCan & Michele!!! Good luck with your goals!
  • I didn't make it on a walk today, but plan to complete 200 jumping jacks before bed! That's another challenge I've taken on, the 200 jj a day challenge! Definitely a long walk tomorrow! And, I've scheduled a long walk with my 3-day training partner on Sunday. We'll probably do about 7 miles. Good luck everybody!!!!
  • This may be a silly question, but for those of you who walk outdoors, how do you track your miles? Does a pedometer do that? I know a pedometer tracks steps but I wasn't sure what else it does. I take the train to work because of a long commute so every morning I walk 15 minutes to the train station and then 15 back at night of course. I also walk around 45 minutes over lunch so I generally get at least an hour in per day. Plus I go to a walking club some Thursday nights. So I know how many hours/week I walk but don't have a clue as to how many miles. Thanks for your help!
  • Hi everyone-I'd like to join you. I just started walking regularly again (4-6 mornings a week). I do lots of other cardio to supplement my exercise routing. I think my goal will be 76 miles for the month. So far I've done 12 of them.

Genesis-Which 3-day are you doing? This will be my 3rd year involved. I walked my first year and did bicycle route safety last year. I'll do the bicycle again this year. I'm in the Michigan walk. Its nice to find another 3 dayer around. How is your fundraising going? Is this your first time?

mayday-check out: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/
    very cool way to track your mileage.

Hi to everyone else. I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you.
  • ArtsyGirl - This is my first 3-Day and I'm going to walk the Tampa Bay 3-Day. I just mailed all of my fundraising letters out yesterday!!!! I haven't received a donation yet, but I'm fairly confident I will be able to reach the minimum $2,200 to walk without too much trouble. I'm very excited about the whole process....the fundraising, the training and the actual event! I talked a friend into joining me and we meet every Sunday for a long walk. During the week I try to do three 5 to 7 mile walks.

MayDay - My pedometer tracks miles as well as steps and I LOVE it!!! http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ance&n=3760901
  • I don't trust my pedometer. I've driven my usual route and it comes up 4.3 miles in my car and my pedometer comes in at 3.5 miles--and I'm not taking any shortcuts! In fact, because I'm following my dogs, I think I'm walking further than I drove in my car. I think I'd rather invest in a heart rate monitor and just try to keep within my range for a good cardio workout rather than logging the miles! Besides that, the heat is going up here and I may have to stay indoors and use my NordicTrak or do videos for the rest of the summer (I know, it's only spring, but in the desert it's already hit 95 degrees). I was walking 5 to 6 days per week until it got hot.
    Good luck on getting your donations for your walk! Sounds fun.
  • Hi,
    wow a three day walk sounds fun and tiring.
    I measure the distance with my bike odometer.
    I'm only at 5 miles, but I am going out for another 3 miles today.
    Have fun all
    need to go refill my coffee
  • Ok, it was really hot today so I only got in 3 miles. I live in FL and it's starting to heat up!
  • I'm at 9 miles so far this month! This morning I did the 2 mile WATP for Abs. Now I'm going shopping (which means more pedometer steps!)

Have a great Friday!

Michele