Question - Energy Level

• This question has probably been answered before so I apologize in advance! I'm only on my first day and already feeling VERY tired and hungry. When do you start getting all the energy that everyone talks about? Is it after the 2 weeks? Thank you!
  • texan-

welcome to sbd! when you first start the new eating regimen, you will find the lethargy that you were referring to as your body becomes accustomed to the new foods and lack of sugars. your metabolism is switching from using sugars/carbs as the main source of energy. this change takes a couple days. for me this lasted about 2 or 3 days. after that, i had diminished hunger, fewer cravings, and more energy. to help counter act it, be sure to eat all your meals and snacks. if you still feel hungry, add in some more snacks - like some veggies. in essence, be sure to eat enough, don't starve yourself. are you eating plenty of protein and the healthy fats? beans helped me some since they had the carby texture and higher carb content than the veggies. water helps too. again, for me, towards the end of phase 1, i really lost all the cravings for the "bad" foods. stick with it and you will feel great!

check in the SDB Frequently Asked Questions section and you will find tons of answers. Also, the recipe section can add some ideas of good snacks and meals that may aid you in feeling more filled.

congrats again on starting this! you can do it!
  • Thank you so much for your reply! I think I'm going to try the beans tomorrow to see if that helps.

• i hope it works for you! just make sure you use the beans on the safe list.
  • Dairy can also help too. It is important to be getting your milk or yogurt no matter what phase you are in. Some people are going by the old food list that didn't allow dairy but it is encouraged now.
  • Be gentle with yourself...it takes at least 3 days and sometimes as much as 5 to get rid of the sugar in your body. In the meantime, you feel like you're going through withdrawal or detox! It's not fun...but it really reminds you how much you were hurting your body with all that sugar and simple carbs.

Things that can help are to drink lots of water (plain water), eat good carbs that are allowed in Phase 1 (tomatoes, bell peppers, beans, and legumes), and just take it easy. By the end of the first week, I bet you'll start feeling amazing. I just woke up one morning and couldn't believe how alive and rested and energetic I felt. It was amazing! I know you'll get there very soon.
  • Try to keep yourself busy so you don't have time to dwell on how hungry and tired you are. When I'm sitting idle is when my mind starts to think about what I can eat next. Don't forget your snacks. Be strong! You can do this!
  • Ya'll are awesome!
    Thank you so much for all of your support!!! I'm going to try my best to stick with it and this board is certainly helping!