My first meeting tonight, and I'm nervous!

• My grandmother offered to pay for me to attend WW if I agreed to do it weekly. She is a "lifetime member" havign reached her goal weight at least 5 years ago, but she swears by this program.

I agreed to go tonight, and she of course has other plans but stopped in today to pay my first weeks cost. I'm thrilled to be going, but now that she's not going to hold my hand I'm nervous

I have no idea what to expect, and no idea what I'm walking into.

Can anyone please tell me what to expect? How long it will last? Is there anything I need to purchase other than just going to the meeting?
  • When I joined in March, I told the weigh-in people that I was a new member. They gave me some paperwork to fill out. Then they weighed me to get a starting weight. Your first goal with WW is to lose 10% of your starting weight. Then, I took a seat and we had the meeting. The meetings are not so scary. You don't have to talk or anything. You don't have to buy anything except your membership. However, most meetings have a variety of products to offer that you might be interested in.

Sorry so long--hope this helped!

Oh yeah: my meetings usually last about a half-hour. The weigh-in starts 30 minutes before the actual meeting time starts.
  • Thank you for your fast reply!

I should plan on being there 30 minutes early or so? I was just going to go at 6 when it starts I'm so glad I asked now!
  • The meetings are easy and a good place to get information. You will also stay for a few minutes after the meeting for a brief orientation with the leader. She just goes over a few things with you and bascially tells you what to do and what not to do.

I look forward to the meetings for the most part. Everyone there is in the same boat you are so don't worry about it very much. Just enjoy it and maybe you will meet a new friend or two

Good luck!
    Princess
  • Quote: I look forward to the meetings for the most part. Everyone there is in the same boat you are so don't worry about it very much. Just enjoy it and maybe you will meet a new friend or two
    That reassures me a lot! Thank you (And a new friend or two would be nice, since I'm new in town!)
  • My meetings are at 7:00 pm but they start weighing in at 6:30. I would try going a little earlier than your meeting time just to be on the safe side (since you have to fill a form out).
  • So if the meeting is at 5:30, I should plan on going around 5?
  • A few more thoughts that I've had!

I usually weigh myself first thing in the morning (before eating anything) and naked... so I'm a bit nervous to see the scale go *up* tonight! (I know it will because plain and simple I have clothes on!)

So how do you all weigh yourselves? Do you only step on the scale at the meetings?

Also, I've been reading through this forum and I saw that if you lose more than 2 pounds per week you need a doctors note? I'm not planning on losing more than 2 pounds, but what if, by some freak accident I lose more than 2 pounds? I don't have health insurance right now, so a doctors note isn't really an option...
  • Also, you say after your first meeting you stay for a short introduction? How long is this introduction? The meeting starts at 5:30 and I have to pick up my little sister at 6:30
    Hi,

Good luck at your mtg. Just so you know yep your weight will probably be up if you are weighing at night and the added clothing. Just remember though that next week when you weigh in at the same time it will reflect weight lost so don't worry about the fact that it is night time.

Also, don't worry about losing more than 2 lbs. I lost 5.6 lbs the first week (alot of water weight) and they never said anything. I think this is just a disclaimer for liablity reasons. I wouldn't worry about it.

Good luck!!
  • Very good point, that it will reflect next week!

I'm a little nervous that I won't be able to stay the full time... but I won't be able to go again for another week...
  • The little meeting afterwards only took us like 15 minutes but maybe if you tell them that you have a time limit then someone could give you a brief overview if you get there early. If your meeting starts at 5:30 I would be there by 4:30 but that is just the first time, for the rest you can just go a little bit before your meeting time, it just depends how long the line is to weigh in.

No one knows what you weigh except you and person that is weighing you in so don't worry about that. It is not public and they are very discrete.

Hope this helps,

Princess
  • Oh ya, about that loosing too much too fast thing...

Well my husband started the same time I did... we are on our 8th week... he has lost 28.6 lbs in 7 weeks and they have not said a word to him... not one word. I have lost 12.6 but for some reason he is just dropping the weight way faster then I am.

Good luck! I know you will do great!

Princess
  • Thank you so much for all your help! I will plan on getting there about 4:30... will someone be there that early?

I ask because I tried to go to WW back in January, I had looked up the meeting and everything and when I go there there was no one there. I waited until 15 minutes after the meeting was supposed to start, and still no one there. No sign on the door saying meeting cancelled or anything *sigh*

Also, should I take paper for notes?
  • Well, I'm off to my first meeting!! Wish me luck

I can not thank you all enough for your replies!