Swelling and Exercise

• Has anyone here experienced swelling in your hands and / or arms from exercising? I seem to only swell when I am walking outside and it gets 70+ degrees. If I come in and wash my hands in cold water it does seem to help and make the swell leave. Anyone have any other thoughts on how to handle it?
  • I do not experience it regularly but I was stung by a wasp last weekend. My hand swelled and even though it is getting better whenever I workout it tends to swell up...Not sure if is more to do with the exercise or more to do with that it was a wasp sting.
  • it may be your diet...if you are eating a lot of sodium. You may not even realize it. There is tons of sodium in prepakaged foods, frozen & canned, and pkged deli meats.
  • I was also thinking that I need to start drinking more water before I actually go out when it is warm. I definitely drink lots after but I am probably dehydrated from not really doing it before or during.
  • If I'm walking outside for exercise and if I happen to keep my arms down by my side the whole time my hands do swell a little. Or if its cold outside and I'm walking the same thing happens.
  • My hands swell whenever I get hot. Drinking water tends to help them. And the cold water helps as well. Try to keep your hands elevated as you work out. Example- when you walk don't let your arms hang down, Bend them. I know it looks kind of goofy, but that really helps me.
  • Same thing happens to me. The hand that I carry my MP3 player in doesn't swell. Just the one that "swings." It could be sodium (probably is). But I could just be that you retain water in your extremities and it's made more obvious when you sweat a lot. My doctor told me that that just happens to some people - not really much you can do about it if that's the case.