Popcorn?

• Hi guys-

I can't find popcorn anywhere in my little Gold booklet.

DH buys the raw corn (no sodium-whoopee), then puts it in a paper bag and into the microwave.Lots cheaper and healthier!

My gold book has 1/2 of cooked corn, but not popcorn - or maybe I'm looking in the wrong place??

Thanks!

Ange
  • 3 cups popped=1 S
  • Its not really on the program until maintennance though, according to my books. How does he cook it in the microwave, that sounds awesome..do tell!
  • It's so amazing - 99 cents for a 2-lb bag of plain popcorn -no sodium-get in the popcorn aisle with the microwave kind...

Get a small lunch-type paper bag, put about 1/4 cup of kernels in the bag, microwave for 2 1/2 minutes.

We seasoned with Mrs. Dash table blend, or LiteSalt and a tiny bit of splenda would probably make it like Kettle Corn.

Enjoy!

Ange
  • How do you seal the bag? I actually prefer popcorn TOTALLY plain..this would be awesome!
  • Three or four folds over - like you would do for a lunch...you wouldn't think it would work but it totally does! Our microwave isn't very strong, you may want to do 2 min. if you have a really strong unit, or a lower percentage. But it's safe to experiment with!
  • I was wondering about this because I have a hot air popper, didn't know if popcorn was off limits.
  • I asked at my center about popcorn. I was always eating the 94%FF micro kettle corn, but they told me to stay away until maintenance.
  • I joined LAWL last week and the counselor was asking me what kind of snacks I usually eat and I told her 94% fat-free popcorn. She frowned and said that she's sorry but I can't have that now. I know it's high in sodium and that's a big thing for LAWL. I love popcorn but I can live without it for a little while.
  • I was told that 1/2 cup unpopped kernals = 1S. My COD also said that it was fine to have this on weight loss and just to make sure that I count the butter as fat. She also indicated it was a great way to get the salt substitute in.

Suzanne
  • Just so LAWL is being consistant about inconsistancy! Popcorn or no popcorn...that is the question! I vote for it. And the way Mary described making it seems like it would be okay. Who really knows?!
  • Popcorn is allowed on maintainence as someone said. 3 cups airpopped = one starch; however, was always a bit curious to me that although it is forbidden on weight loss, if you buy the LA Lowfat Popcorn(three cheese or toffee pecan) snack it counts as a starch. I think the 3 airpopped cups is probably better for you. Use at your own discretion.
  • IT HAS TONS OF *FIBER*****!!! Gotta love that.

Ange
  • I say measure it (1 cup popped) and get the salt and oil free version from the health food store. Toss a little Morton Lite Salt in, a little melted salt free butter (if you have a fat left) then count it as 1 starch.