Steel Cut Oatmeal

• What do you put in your oatmeal to make it less blah??
  • Steel cut oatmeal is my favorite too! I like to mix in a small container of tropical fruit (Dole fruit bowl). I drain the juice out first so it doesn't make the oatmeal too watery. Half a sliced banana is good too. A little cinnamon and maple syrup is also tasty.

To save cooking time (steel cut takes about 20-25 minutes to cook), I mix 1 cup of steel cut oats with 4 cups of cold water, bring to a boil then turn of the heat and put a lid on and leave it overnight to absorb the water. It doesn't get lumpy when I prepare it this way. The next morning I just take out a portion and microwave it for a minute. I then add a splash of milk and whatever toppings I fancy. I refrigerate the rest and it lasts me a few days.
  • I luv steel cut oats too.. the texture is different from oatmeal.. though I love a nice bowl of oatmeal too.. if it is cooked right..

I cook steel cut oats in a pressure cooker 1 cup of oats and 4 cups of water. I usually add dried fruit.. raisins or apricots or dried rasberries...

One cup is enough to last me for breakfast and a few snacks for several days.. I take it out from the frig.. heat in in the microwave and add some plain yogurt.. if I haven't added dried fruit, fresh strawberries or bananas top it off.. sometimes for a little crunch I add walnuts..

Right now I happen to be enjoying a bowl... I fixed it before I saw your post.
  • What are steel cut oats? Are they anything like old fashioned rolled oats?
  • Steel-Cut Oats are whole grain groats (the inner portion of the oat kernel) which have been cut into only two or three pieces. They are golden in colour and resemble mini rice particles.

How are they different from Rolled Oats? Rolled oats are flake oats that have been steamed, rolled, re-steamed and toasted. Due to all of this additional processing they have lost some of their natural taste, goodness and texture.

What makes Steel-cut Oats so special? Grains are essential to a healthy lifestyle and form the foundation of the food pyramid. Steel-cut oats are inherently full of nutritional value and are high in B-Vitamins, calcium, protein and fiber while low in salt and unsaturated fat. One cup of steel-cut oatmeal contains more fiber than a bran muffin and twice as much fibre as Cream of Wheat. The quality of Irish Oats and the distinctive crunchy texture make McCann's Steel-Cuts a gourmet delight.

This was just copy and pasted from McCanns website, I am no expert.
  • Thanks for the info. I wouldn't have any idea where to purchase such a thing, lol.
  • Most grocery stores carry them in the "healthy" cereal section. I buy them in bulk at Whole Foods.

They cook very quickly in the microwave- just make sure you use a BIG bowl, because they puff up bubble while cooking.

Mel
  • Quote: Most grocery stores carry them in the "healthy" cereal section. I buy them in bulk at Whole Foods.

They cook very quickly in the microwave- just make sure you use a BIG bowl, because they puff up bubble while cooking.

Mel
    Sounds wonderful because I love oatmeal.

I'll look for them
  • My local store has them in the gourmet section... which means that it is probably not something that a lot of customers at that store buy... too bad..
  • Try the health food section of your local grocery store. (I should have read the whole thread again before posting, didn't mean to be redundant)
  • I add one scoop chocolate protein powder to 1/2 sc cup oats, 1/2 cup cottage cheese, handful of blueberries, strawberries, or raspberries and a little splenda to sweeten the berries. I make a big batch and then heat in the microwave w/ a little added water so it will absorb the protein powder before adding the other ingredients.
  • 1. I put a banana in & mash it roughly, then add cinnamon.
    2. add a good pinch of allspice, mix, then drizzle a nice-tasting honey over it.
    3. add raisins or chopped dates during cooking so they soften & puff up (plus cinnamon or allspice).

cheers,
    Sue
  • Hmm, I use regular quick oats, but I usually put peanut butter in it, sweetened with splenda. Much more filling.

• Sorry if I missed it, but I suggest almonds to make oatmeal taste better. I dont know if it will work the same in steel-cut, but give it a try!