Food Intolerances

• Hi Guys!
    I went to Dr&Herbs, the Chinese doctor chain in my local shopping centre and they did a food intolerance test which involved cutting a little bit of hair of the back of my head and sending it off. I was just wondering if anyone had tried this and if cutting stuff out of your diet had made much difference to weight loss.
    I am intolerant to (apparently):
    -Oat
    -Durum Wheat
    -Alcohol
    -Mushrooms
    -Orange
    -Satsuma
    -Raisins/Sultanas
    -Corn Syrup
    -Milk Protein
    -Whey
    -Milk
    -Butter
    -Cream
    -Yoghurt
    -Ice Cream
    -Cheese
    -Blue Cheese
    -Milk Chocolate
    -Cashew Nuts
    -Walnuts
    -Lobster
    -Crab
    -Prawn
    -Herring/Mackerel
    -Chicken
    -Animal Fat
    -Corn Oil
    -Brussels Sprouts
    -Carrot
    -Celery
    -Yellow/Red Peppers
    -Crisps
    -Chick Peas
    -Coffee
    -Cola
    -Pop
    -Beer
    -Port
    -Sherry
    -Red Wine
    -White Wine
    -Whisky
    -Tartrazine
    -Sulphites
    -Aspartames
    -Chlorine
    -Fluoride
    -Detergents
    -Hair Dye
    -Bubble bath
    -Toothpaste

and I am deficient in
    -Iodine
    -Iron
    -B6
    -B12

Oh....and I don't drink enough water!!!! Most of it I can live with since I am a vegan but aspartame seems to be in everything!!!!
  • Toothpaste? Were you eating that before hand?
  • Quote: Toothpaste? Were you eating that before hand?
    Yeah, that's my secret...when I get hungry I have a squirt of colgate!!!
  • I am intolerant to fruit but it didn't take a test for me to find that out.
  • I'd be very sceptical about chinese herbalists I've had a few bad experiences. Holland and Barrats do food testing it might be worth trying that
  • That's some list! What can you eat??? I'd be very skeptical of this test... Since you surely consume some of these foods regularly, did it hit the mark? Have you experienced digestive troubles after consuming any or all of these?

Was there a fee for this? Also, did he suggest any sort of food plan or supplements?
  • It was £30 and I was quite sceptical as well. To be honest the reason I went vegan was because milk products seemed to upset my tummy so that made sense. I am allergic to nuts so I don't eat them anyway and I did notice yucky tummy things after eating citrus fruits. I looked up aspartame intolerance on the net and a lot of it made sense and I figure it won't do me any harm to give up the diet drinks and drink plain water instead (it might actually help!) but since I live on mushrooms and carrot juice there isn't much chance of me giving those up! I will probably go have it done again with Holland and Barrett and see what correlates.
  • did thry take the hair from root/folical?
    coz grown hairs is dead in certain terms, apparently the hair at ur shoulders is approx 2yrs old, so u may have been deficient, but not anymore?
  • thought this may be of interest to you

http://www.bbc.co.uk/insideout/south...ga_tests.shtml
  • Thanks, that is interesting! I am not taking it as gospel, far from it, just cutting out stuff that I already know to cause me trouble. I guess I just wanted a piece of paper to back up what I already thought!
  • I kind of realised that the test was a bit off since it completely missed the things I have diagnosed medical allergies too (nuts and sunflower seeds) althought they cover for that by saying that things you already cut out of your diet won't show up on the test.
  • Quote: I kind of realised that the test was a bit off since it completely missed the things I have diagnosed medical allergies too (nuts and sunflower seeds) althought they cover for that by saying that things you already cut out of your diet won't show up on the test.

So if you're vegan, why did all those meats and dairy products make the list?
  • I thought that too and I called them and like someone on here said some of the hair is really old and I've only been vegan for a few months, vegetarian for longer which I guess explains why no meat showed up (no I can't explain why chicken showed up either!!!) I guess the end to my question is that it is all a load of b0ll0cks!!!!!
  • as I said be really wary with chinese herbalists. I had a problem with hair loss and they said they'd treat me through accupuncture and hair tonics. The accupuncture was going to cost £500 which is expensive for accupuncture because I looked it up and when I asked for the ingredients of the tonic they wouldn't give them to me. I read a thing about chinese tonics which made me really wary I think alot of these places are just after your cash. They were vary alarmist as well when I had my consultation when actually it grew back on its own within a few months.