Bariatric surgery for teenagers ?

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • I absolutey would never allow my teenager to have the surgery (if I had a teenager). I was obese throughout all of my teen years, and though there were very difficult times, I actually feel like I am a stronger, more open-minded, and more mature person because of it. Of course I wish I had been thin like all the other girls, and I could have been if I had had the proper guidance (I seriously think I needed to be in therapy to deal with a lot of issues, but on our budget and with my old-fashioned parents, that just wasn't an option). I 99% cannot believe that as a teen, these people have already really tried (and by "really tried," I mean they actually stuck to a smart eating plan, not just cheated and said it didn't work) enough diets to know that they can't lose weight without surgery.

I'm 23 years old, and I had a boss at my last job who tried to convince me to have the surgery (she had had it). I told her I was too young and that I've still got plenty of time to change my habits and do things MY way