Fashion is the healthiest motivation for losing weight

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • This is a quote from Karl Lagerfeld in this month's Elle magazine (UK version)

It made me smile, coz I felt sick of the whole thing today!!! And I think it's true. It's not the healthiest reason but in terms of motivation he could be onto something. Losing weight for future heart health, for example, is a great reason, but does it get me motivated to hit the gym and work a little harder, nope. Does wearing killer slim fit jeans, with Jimmy Choos and a tight leather jacket inspire me to do 10 more lengths of the pool???? You betcha!!!

So what would you really like to wear when you get to goal???

For me:

Sass and Bide Jeans
    Wheels and Doll baby t-shirt (could I get away with one of their polk a dot tutus???)
    Day Birger and Mikkelsen tunic
    Ghost dress
    Chanel suit (never in my wildest dreams could I afford one, but a girl can dream!!!)
  • Welll I guess vanity does play a part. I'm in it for health myself. It you can't get into those tiny clothes, are you going to give up and get really obese?
  • I would like to wear a belly button piercing.
  • I make it a point to wear flattering clothes no matter my size. I can honestly say fashion doesn't factor into it at all. I may not be able to shop at Hot Topic, but I can shop at Torrid.

That said, I do have a black leather miniskirt in my goal size.

And on a side note, have you seen Lagerfeld lately? Goodness, he is not whom I'm going to take my fashion advice from!
  • I'm getting my belly re-pierced and buying a slutty dress to go out and dance in!
  • Hi. Your post made me smile! I firmly believe that we all want some part of the fashion aspect. I mean c'mon, for health reasons we all know that we NEED to lose the weight and we think about losing weight, eating right, exercising, mental meditation and so on EVERY SINGLE day. But we don't think about fashion EVERY day. It just pops up on occasion and I for one, am doing it for health reasons but I sure can't wait to get into a comfortably snug fitting jean with a shorter shirt.
    Good thread kykaree!
  • Health is actually what did finally motivate me. However, I enjoyed experimenting with fashions as I lost the weight. I now own a couple of mini-skirts and I favor tops that show off the belly and hipster jeans. Don't know nuttin bout no name brand stuff. I never did pay attention to that.
  • Mmmm... yes... I got into it this time because of my diabetes and all the meds I take, but I do think about buying cute clothes. I too know nada about brand names, but I know I am sick sick sick of what is in my closet now. Baggy jeans and baggy t-shirts and ugly or plain Wal-mart crap.

I want the "little black dress," of course. I want some great, tight jeans. I want some of those cute, low-rider, cropped sweatpants with stupid things written on the butt. I want broomstick skirts with cute low-cut tops. Oh, and sweaters! I adore sweaters but I just can't wear them because I'm too hot under all this extra weight. I want a mini skirt. I want boots that won't look weird 'cos I have huge calves. Oh... I wonder if I should say this... I want hot, slinky lingerie!! (giggle)

So, yeah, there are "healthier" motivations (like living) for certain, but cute clothes aren't bad either.

-Lala
  • Oh... what's a ghost dress?

-Lala
  • I wear stylish clothing no matter what I was born a clothes horse however
    it was not motivation enough for me at my age 45 being healthy being comfortable in my skin just feeling good about my self is what motivated me
    and what makes me maintain my weight
  • HAHA! I have been trying to find clothes to fit my fat behind for weeks now, and just cannot find anything stylish and in my price range so fashion is a big factor for me considering I work with all skinny girls.
    I would love to wear a blue jean mini skirt.

• I'm surprised that nobody has said "bikini". I dunno about you, but if I'm all toned up, I want to show that off as much as possible.

Shorts would be nice, and mini skirts. And halter tops, mmmm!
  • I am definitely in it for health reasons too... I have always been very active and when I am so heavy I CAN'T do so many of the things I like to do! So I am motivated to get the fat off and get in shape. Fashion will be a very nice bonus that I am looking forward to!!!
  • http://www.ghost.co.uk/

I think some people really don't get me on this forum I lost weight because both my parents had high blood pressure and newly diagnosed type 2 diabetes.

But that's not really day to day motivation for me.

I didn't have any health problems from my weight, so I find focussing on something a bit more trivial is a bit of a fun distraction.

Does it really matter if I never fit the jeans?? No! That won't make me put the weight back on, I have fought darned hard to get this far.

Is it fun to look at all the stuff I have missed out on and might now have a hope of wearing, you bet your bippy it is!!!
  • Quote: HAHA! I have been trying to find clothes to fit my fat behind for weeks now, and just cannot find anything stylish and in my price range so fashion is a big factor for me...
    I hear ya on that one! I can't find nice clothes that fit well in any price range, let alone what I'd like to pay. The problem is that I'm a pear. Plus-sized clothes are made to fit apples. The plus-sized clothes out there are simply not proportioned to me. Of course, I'm a pear at any weight, so there were styles that didn't fit right or look flattering even when I was slim, but the problems are tremendously exaggerated in the larger sizes.