Protein Drink Questions

• Okay- I have a bunch of questions for you guys...it looks like I need to start using protein drinks with my feeding tube to meet my calorie needs without getting too much corn based carbohydrates (why do they have to use corn syrup & maltodextrin in everything ). One big issue is that whatever I end up using has to mix well and stay together for several hours, without seperating- clumps do not work well at all. I am leaning towards Nectar just because I've heard you guys talk about it so much & it doesn't use any artificial sweetener. Flavor isn't much of an issue at this point since I don't have to drink it, though smell can be- plus if I can get to the point I can get enough in orally, I might be able to get rid of the feeding tube someday. Are there any other protein drinks I should look into? I can't seem to find Nectar anywhere locally, so where is the best place to buy in online?
  • I would suggest

www.bariatriceating.com

They carry a good selection, and usually top of the line protein drinks.

They do have nectar I know..and there is also the flavorless protein powder..I only do a protein shake every great once in awhile but I do know many rave about their selection over there.

Good Luck!!
  • I am a big Unjury fan. I actually like drinking their protein shakes. I particularly like the unflavored and the vanilla because I can get so creative with them.
    You can only get them at their website unjury.com

Chickadee
  • Christine,
    When I was in the hospital last week, the protein supplement they give patients is protidiet by pro-amino. It is a gel packet that mixes (with a couple stirs) with water & has 15 g. protein, 2 carbs, 70 calories. I tried the fruit punch, orange & grape, but I know there are other flavors also. I haven't bought any yet, trying to diminish my testing supply first, but I believe that will be my lifelong choice. The orange tastes like tang. I did a web search & there were many sites that sold it. The least expensive & largest variety was at http://www.nashuanutrition.com/
  • Quote: I am leaning towards Nectar just because I've heard you guys talk about it so much & it doesn't use any artificial sweetener.
    Christine - if it's important to you to stay away from artifical sweeteners, then you won't want to use Nectar. All the flavors that I'm aware of are artificially sweetened. Here's a page with the nutrition labels for the various flavors listed - they all use aspartame (Equal), sucralose (Splenda), or acesulfame-K (Sunette or Sweet One).

Best of luck finding one to meet your needs.
  • Meg- they have a Nectar Naturals line that's sweetened with stevia & lo han extracts. I'd rather use those then any of the other options- I'm okay with Splenda for some things, but not constant daily use. I try to avoid other artificial sweeteners for the most part and I also have to avoid all forms of corn & corn sweeteners as much as I can, including maltodextrin.

Heres the ingredients for Nectar Naturals:
    Whey protein isolate, citric acid, natural flavors, stevia leaf extract, lo han fruit extrct, lecithin, lycopene.
    Of course they don't have a lot of options in the Nectar Naturals line with only Tealicious or Peach hopefully they will come up with other flavors in the future.
  • That's awesome! I'd never heard of the Nectar Naturals, but that's great information since I know other people who are looking for a PP without artificial sweeteners.
  • I guess some people mix Crystal Light type stuff in with the Tealicious to have more flavor varieties. I know Lipton has one that is sweetened with Splenda- I stocked up when BigLots had it for 99cents for 6- 2quart packets because they dropped the "Carb Options" name-lol. I wonder if you could even use unsweetened koolaid since the Tealicious is already sweetened? Of course a little real fruit juice would probably be what I end up doing, but I need the carbs.
  • Lo han???? what's this???? details!!!!! sounds very interesting!!!
  • So Jif, where you been? Hiding under a rock or something? Lo Han is the name of that actress who used to be so cute in the Parent Trap and morphed into skinny/blonde/party-girl-gone-wild.

Oh wait, was that not what you meant Christine?

The Chick
  • I'll let you guys know how the Tealicious Nectar Natural is...I found a good deal on it Advantage Supplements, so I ordered 6 containers of it. They had for $14.99/$12.99 if you bought 4 & its good until Feb 2007. Worst case scenario, I mix it with my feeding tube formula or something- its not like I actually have to drink it if I don't like the taste I just need something that mixes in water well & I figured all of you wouldn't have been recomending Nectar if it was like drinking sandy Koolaide And who knows, I might even like it!
  • the parent trap??? skinny blond girl gone wild???? what have i been missing??????

this modern world - just don't get it!!!!!! but hey, i can FINALLY recognise orlando bloom!!! THAT only took a year... and i TRIED to recognise him!!!