GI tips

• Hi there - I'm a returning chick (boomerang?), just ended up back where I started . I've been with WW for years, on and off, and have got bored with it.... Any one following any sort of Glycemic index diet- it sounds good. I have a book, but it's a little hard to follow. I just wondered if anyone knows of any online resources, etc. Help me get started, please
  • Welcome back!

I'm not actually doing a structured low GI diet (i.e. Rosemary Conley GI Jeans) but I am selecting my foods based on their GI rating. Basically I've stopped eating processed and 'white' foods such as spuds, parsnips, white bread, etc and I'm now eating lean meat/fish/poultry/dairy and porridge, berries, nuts, sweet potatoes, butterbeans (and other beans) brown basmati rice and low GI fruit and veg. I use it in conjunction with basic calorie counting - just so that my food keeps me feeling fuller longer. The best thing about it is that my husband loves the food so there is no hassle with preparing two different dinners as there has been on other diets - he just has more of it than I do.

I spent a day using Google to search GI information and found lots of good information in iVillage and a couple of Canadian and Australian diabetes websites. Rather than buy a diet book I bought a couple of Antony Worrall Thompson Low GI recipe books which are great as a jumping off point - both of them have a section at the front explaining the whole GI thing.

Good luck!
  • I've still not read m GI book!
  • I swear by Antony Worrall Thompson.

And I never thought I'd say that
  • I swear at him quite a lot!

He's got some excellent recipes but we've had one or two which have pretty much gone straight in the bin.

Just to liven things up a bit we're having his chicken liver with moroccan spices recipe this evening with salad and couscous (from the second GI book). I don't normally cook or eat offal but right now its all mixed together sitting in the fridge marinating - it looks very unpromising. Hopefully it'll taste better than it looks.
  • The Patrick holfords Low GL diet is an amazing book with the recipes and all the weeks set out
  • Off to Amazon.com I go then
  • Quote: Just to liven things up a bit we're having his chicken liver with moroccan spices recipe this evening with salad and couscous (from the second GI book). I don't normally cook or eat offal but right now its all mixed together sitting in the fridge marinating - it looks very unpromising. Hopefully it'll taste better than it looks.
    It actually turned out a lot nicer than it looked - very tasty! We will definitely be eating this one again.
  • sarah ann...... sounds like what i am eating, we call it clean eating,