Magic Pill??

You're on Page 3 of 5
Go to
  • I realize that this is an old thread but since I love the "Does it Work" part of the forum but sometimes can't find any thread that makes me really want to comment, I'll comment here.

This is a good thread and I support the majority of the posts here, especially the original one.

I am not new to 3FC (been here with a pause for years under another user name, as the administrators know). Years and years ago, I noticed that 3FC seems to take a position of "there is no magic pill" in regard to diet supplements and I just find that so great, although they allow discussion of the topic.

Many years ago I did try products with ephedra, which actually did for me boost weight loss. Long before they took this substance off the market, I had realized how dangerous and life-threatening this practice was for me because of physical conditions I did not know I had.

I think that's the main premise I saw in one of the posts, people are buying into this magic pill theory, taking this diet supplement and that diet supplement off the internet or the drugstore shelves and they have NO idea what is really in them or what it can do to their bodies.

An exception might be simple fiber tablets (I don't know, as just eating more fiber seems to be better than swallowing pills, to me) and another option is weight loss surgery where there is counseling available long term and even this option is meant to be in conjunction with major lifestyle changes and if there are no lifestyle changes, the WLS can reverse itself.

Some of the pills are prescribed by physicians and I guess that'd be a better way to go, but to me I really wonder if that's a good idea either, because in my opinion, most responsible physicians would understand that the safest and most long lasting weight loss is achieved by lifestyle changes related to diet and exercise and believe me I do realize that doesn't seem to work for everyone either and that there are exceptions to every rule and that the best guide for anyone's personal health care journey is always their personal medical team.

Not meaning to offend anyone. Someone set me a message noting that they used to think in a negative fashion (words to that effect) about posts I had made on here, but truthfully, I'm just interested in the topic of fitness and nutrition and like this part of the forum. However, it bothers me how many threads just seem to be about does the latest pill work and some people politely give their "no magic pill" opinion and other people get slightly mad about that and go away and I really like the sticky stuff here that is a good attempt to explain why there is no magic pill in 3FC's apparent opinion.

The magic pills are eating in the correct manner according to a healthful plan and increasing activity in a healthful manner according to medical advice, over a long period of time, indeed, over a lifetime.

Sorry, just felt like posting to this old, old thread.
  • I would like to add that I have been taking meridia for the last 6 weeks and have lost 18lbs so far. I will say that there is not a magic pill out there that will take your weight off without changing your life style. I have to write down everything that I eat and increased my exercise workout to 4 times a week. I have to go and see my family physician every 2 weeks to have my blood pressure taken and to be weighed. This was my last resort to try and loose weight due to health reasons I guess I just needed that boost to get me going.

Take care,
    Barb
  • Quote: If we had a Post of the Day, this would definitely be it.

This sentence rings especially true:

I've just recently found out that I'm entering the wonderful world of perimenopause and have to start watching my blood pressure. I'm over 40, and heart disease is the leading killer of women my age. These OTC diet pills, which are touted as 'all natural' (implying 'safe') are NOT safe for those with HBP.

Even if you're not yet 40, it's a good idea to get into the habit of taking your blood pressure on a regular basis - rather than waiting for your annual physical. Most pharmacies and drugstores (including grocery stores with in-store pharmacies) have free, easy to use blood pressure monitors available for customers' use. It has become a habit for me to take my blood pressure whenever I go shopping - I just sit down, stick my arm in the sleeve, push the button and wait - takes less than a minute.

Ladies and gentlemen - I KNOW we all want to lose weight and maintain our losses - but doing it HEALTHFULLY must be paramount. As Lovemylife has so eloquently said - just because these oft-touted pills are 'natural' does NOT mean they are safe, certainly they are not safe for everyone. It's not just LOOKING good - it's FEELING good and being healthy - and setting a great example for others to follow

Yes, really... Yes, I am looking good, but I am feeling awful because of the backache and always feeling hungry. BUT when I am doing good workouts, I am feeling much better. Maybe sports is the key to success?
  • Hate to dredge up an old post (the other forum I'm on it apparently REALLY bugs people to see old threads brought back up...me, personally, I couldn't care less) but I have something to add.

A few years ago I started taking a diet pill (I can't remember the name but it was some kind of fat burner or something). At the time I had always had blood pressure that ran low. As someone mentioned above, every time I went for a physical the nurses assumed b/c I was fat that I had hypertension as well...I actually had one nurse apologize to me for thinking that after she had basically made me arm go numb. Anyway, I started taking these pills and right away I felt shaky ALL NIGHT...like bouncing off the walls shaky. I ended up only taking them for a few weeks b/c I couldn't stand the feeling. The next time I went to the doctor, I had high blood pressure!!! Never before had I had a problem w/ it...but now I'm on medication to regulate my blood pressure. Fortunately, w/ my weight loss, my blood pressure has started going down. 5 more pounds and my doctor is going to lower the dosage on my meds. Hopefully by the end of my journey I will be completely free of any blood pressure meds!!!
  • I wanna hear it from the experts....i was very afraid of those magic pills...i haven't tried it from my entire life!
  • if you are looking for energy, try taking a liquid vitamin B complex. I get them from walmart. They are basically the same thing as 5 hour energy
  • Ive tried all kinds of pills but like they say w/o excercise and a sensible diet it ALL COMES BACK.........
  • Hcg?
    I realize this is an old thread but I also see new comments. I would like to see if anyone has heard or seen anything on the HCG injections or pills and what everyones thoughts are about this product?
  • 3FC does not support HCG diets as they can be dangerous and definitely aren't the way to sustainable, healthy weight loss.
  • I studied pharmacology in university and I don't really believe there is a magic pill that will work long term. Often the cause of genetic obesity is neurological and trying to isolate neurons and chemical reactions is a long way off. Other pills probably work short term but I'm a skeptic
  • I just don't see the point in taking any pill that you're not prepared to take for the rest of your life. At some point if you are going to stop taking it and haven't changed your diet and exercise habits then the weight will return. So if for safety or monetary reasons you're not prepared to take this pill forever what is the point of taking it at all? It is just delaying the real and free changes that you will have to make anyway.
  • I would never take diet pills again but I was taking Metabolife back in the mid 90's when they still had ephedrine and I lost 10 pounds, I then stopped taking them and another 30 came off on my own. I just used them to get the ball rolling. I never exercised, just lowered my calorie intake. Kept it off for years until my pregnancy.

My biggest issue has always been getting the ball rolling. My body likes to get stuck at a certain weight and won't move.
  • A while back a friend of mine was taking something for weight loss and she said it really worked. You had to take it at bedtime on an empty stomach, and you weren't allowed to have any sugar. I told her if I went to bed on an empty stomach every night and never ate any sugar I wouldn't have a weight problem in the first place!
  • Quote: A while back a friend of mine was taking something for weight loss and she said it really worked. You had to take it at bedtime on an empty stomach, and you weren't allowed to have any sugar. I told her if I went to bed on an empty stomach every night and never ate any sugar I wouldn't have a weight problem in the first place!
    So true! Dinner is my downfall because by the time I get home from work I eat so late. In my younger days I would skip dinner a lot and I was the thinnest I had ever been since high school days. I can't stand to go to sleep hungry now.
  • Quote: I would like to add that I have been taking meridia for the last 6 weeks and have lost 18lbs so far. I will say that there is not a magic pill out there that will take your weight off without changing your life style. I have to write down everything that I eat and increased my exercise workout to 4 times a week. I have to go and see my family physician every 2 weeks to have my blood pressure taken and to be weighed. This was my last resort to try and lose weight due to health reasons I guess I just needed that boost to get me going.

Take care,
    Barb

Hi Barb,

I'm brand new to this site. I too took meridian a few years ago and it worked! I lost about 20 lbs in a month. I stopped it And continued diet and exercise. I am at my heaviest now just from not being motivated. I have a friend who has been losing on HCG drops, I don't see any posts on it? And hasn't Meridia been off the market for awhile? I didn't think you could get it anymore .