Elliptical Numbness?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Everytime I get on the elliptical, my foot goes numb after 25 - 30 minutes. Anyone else experience this and have any information/advice?

Thanks, Alicia
  • hmm.. never got that feeling but its probably your shoes.
    I personally get dizzy after 20 minutes on the elliptical.
  • I find the front of my feet from the ball to the tips of my toes tend to get kinda numb when I do 30mins on the elliptical. I have very good shoes I use and they dont seem to help, I am just hoping it is something that will improve with time/weight lost. I'm not much help as far as advice sorry but atleast you aren't alone
  • I wish I could find it, but we had this conversation a few months ago. Maybe many months ago!!! And lots of people said the same thing.

I think the verdict was that it was pretty normal and we often experience it when starting out and it gets better. It doesn't happen to me anymore but it did at the beginning.
  • There we are found it!

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...ight=eliptical

Hope that helps some
  • Thanks all for responding! I have done the ellptical for months now. It doesn't seem to get better the longer I do it. However, it IS a lot better if I do it several days in a row, the second and third day are fine. If I take a one or two day break, when I go back to it the numbness starts.

Thanks kykaree...I am going to go check out that link!

Alicia
  • The same thing happens to me on a recumbant bike. Must be the angle of the foot or something! Try doing shorter sessions but more often? 2 x 20 minutes instead of one ong session.
  • I asked my doctor about this. I got numbness in my feet on the elliptical and the stairmaster. Mine was more pronounced in my left foot than the right. She told me that it's most likely due to poor circulation in my legs. She suggested a compression stocking to help. I haven't tried it yet, though, so I can't say if it helps!
  • Compression stockings whilst exercising would be horrible. I wonder if they make breathable sweat wicking ones for exercise?
  • Mine go numb sometimes on the elliptical or bike ... but I too have noticed that the more often I go, and better shape I am in, the less often it happens.
  • I second keeping your foot flat and trying to put more of the pressure on your heel and less on the ball of your foot. I find it’s easier to do this in reverse, and then try to apply the same thing going forward. It’s helped me a lot, if I notice any numbness it’s usually because I’ve been spacing out and not paying attention, once I’m more mindful and try to spread the pressure over the entire foot the numbness goes away.
  • Quote: Compression stockings whilst exercising would be horrible. I wonder if they make breathable sweat wicking ones for exercise?
    They do, they're just pretty expensive. That's why I haven't gotten one yet. But, if you watch athletes on tv, you'll see them wearing compression garments on legs and arms.
  • Me Too!!!
    Quote: Everytime I get on the elliptical, my foot goes numb after 25 - 30 minutes. Anyone else experience this and have any information/advice?

Thanks, Alicia

OMG YES. I get the same thing. I thought I was just weird. The last 5 minutes (I do 30) are the worst. I literally have to stop and shake out my feet for about 30 seconds and then move on.

Thought it was only me.
  • I do about 45-50 minutes daily, and the numbness hits my dominate foot first at about the 35 minute mark. I do reverse intervals and try to stay on my heels for 30 seconds at a time until it subsides. That does the trick. It has nothing to do with body weight....that I am certain of!!!
  • Oh the other thing I thought about is that when I use to wear Nike shoes it happened to me all the time.