An "Aha!" Moment

• Since I'm often up late-ish studying or working on papers, it's been a common practice for me to have a cup of coffee in the late afternoon, and maybe another after dinner. I've started replacing this late-day java fix with a cup of unsweetened green tea, and a couple nights ago I realized that I don't desire a biscotti or other goody along with my tea! It was a real epiphany to realize that coffee drinking was a trigger for my sweets craving.

Anybody else have an "Aha!" moment to share?
  • Oh, that's great! Isn't it amazing to find what's behind some of our cravings! For me, sitting down and watching TV triggers cravings for me. For some reason, sitting there doing nothing makes me want to eat and snack non stop. So, we don't have TV any more. We can watch movies, but no cable or antenna, so no regular TV at all. It's been really great for all of us actually.
  • I had the tv/munchie problem, too, even though I don't watch that much. I took up crochet again to keep my hands busy - I can do a granny square with my eyes closed now. I'll get a big coverlet to cover my (hopefully) smaller body!
  • I too cut out my last cup of coffee of the day and it has helped me with evening cravings. And I am a coffeeholic.
  • Great insight, here. I tend to want to munch when I read - it's a whole comforting self-medicating mentality of feeding myself and losing myself in a story. It's hard not to munch. When I watch TV, I tend to putter on the computer while I do it (thank God for DVR's and pausing/rewinding "live" TV, LOL).
  • I am definately a tv muncher as well. I know that is something I will never beat, so I tend to save some snacks from the day to have while watching tv.
  • I worry about the TV munchies with my daughter. One of the "Daddy-Daughter" treat times she's gotten used to after we're all home in the evening is to sit on the couch with Hunter (my husband), and make a "movie theater". All the lights have to be out, and she gets to pick a movie from our voluminous collection, and they have popcorn and drinks. I don't worry about the WHAT of the snacking -- popcorn is good fiber for her, and she usually drinks milk. I do worry that it might be starting an overarching "eating at the TV" linkage.

With Hunter starting nightschool this week, I'll be spending more time with her in the evenings. It used to be Daddy Time. It's gonna be strange for her to switch to Momma Time. (And I'm used to cooking and cleaning and then getting on the computer for the evening, while he puts her to bed, so it'll be a change for me, too) I'm hoping that I can start some other traditions/habits for her, that don't necessarily revolve around food.
  • As to the late-night tea/coffee drinking, I can identify. With coffee, and with some teas (like Constant Comment, which is an orangey-spicey tea), I want a cookie or something sweet. With other teas, a little Splenda in the tea is all I want. With green teas... I dunno, the purist in me cringes whenever someone sweetens green tea. So an evening cup of green tea doesn't trigger the same need for sweetness or cookies that other teas can.
  • I am a tv muncher also find myself want to eat eat eat. I also noticed whatever on tv is what I want even thou most of the stuff on there I never ate before I find myself wanting to try it out. I used to eat alot watching tv I had to stop that because thats when I keep eating more and more.