I love my new Pedometer!

You're on Page 1 of 5
Go to
  • It was pricey and relatively big, but I'm really liking it!
    • It's very accurate. I physically counted some steps and the pedo and I were within just a few steps of each other. My former pedo was way too sensitive. It recorded every minor jostle as a step, hence I had days of 15,000 steps. Nice but totally untrue.

• It's lightweight, even though it's big (3 inches long, 2 inches wide and 1/2 inch deep -- and that's not including the detachable holder). I cannot feel it when I'm wearing it.

• It's QUIET. My aforementioned former unit made an audible CLICK with every step (or jostle). It announced "Lena's wearing a pedometer!!!!" ((sigh))

• It doesn't have to be worn on a belt. Yahoo!!! It can be worn in a pocket (which is where I carry it). It can even be attached to your handbag, if you carry your handbag close.

• It doesn't have to sit perfectly upright. It can register even on a slight angle, which is good if it's in a pocket. I don't think it can be upside down but an angle is ok.

• It holds several days memory and automatically resets itself at midnight. It also records cardio steps (as in on a treadmill), calories burnt and distance covered (but I don't think those carry over from day to day -- I think they're just recorded for today).

All in all, I'm loving it! Well worth the money. I don't know if I can mention the name here -- would that be considered an advertisement? If someone can tell me if it's ok to mention the name, I'll edit the post to include it.

High-steppin' my way to 10,000 a day!
  • Lena,
    I don't see why you can't mention the name. We talk about exercise equipment by name so why not? Is it the Omron? I was wondering because I need a new one and this one sounds perfect. How much did you spend if you don't mind me asking?
  • I guess the worst that can happen is a mod edits it out :0

Yes, it's the Omron Model HJ-112. I paid $35 at Walgreens. That was the on-sale price (regular was listed at $40).

I got it on Tuesday and think it's worth every penny.
  • Can you do me a favor?

Wear BOTH (assuming you still have the old one) for an entire day and come back and report the difference in steps.
  • Lena, that's the pedometer I received when I started my new weight loss program. I LOVE it!!!
    You can see the aerobic steps from previous days. Just hit "mode" so that you're in the aerobic mode, then hit "memory".
  • DeafinlySmart, sure, I can do that! Good idea! Since today is half gone already, I'll do it tomorrow. I'll wear them both in the same way (iow, in my pants pocket), and let's see what they do!

Ellis, thank you! I didn't think of doing that. Good news!
  • Lena,
    This is the one I'm going to get and my reward if I reach my 60 mile goal this month. I'm over half way there so I think I'm going to make it. I have had several pedometers and they all are not that accurate but I've heard great things about the Omron HJ112. I hope I meet my goal now! All the more reason for me to keep exercising!
  • Hi everyone

It has been AGES since I have been here but this thread caught my eye. I too bought a pedometer and for a long time was doing 10,000 steps a day. But alas, I've gotten lax and not only not been exercising but gained back a bunch of weight. But never give up... so I am back!! I paid $30 for mine at REI.
  • Well, as requested, I wore both pedos all day today. Popped them in my pockets (old pedo in left leg, new pedo in right leg) at 6am and went about my usual day.

It is now 6pm, and I think I've probably done the bulk of my walking for the day (time to plop on the sofa TGIF!!!) That makes about 12 hours wearing them. Here are the results:

Old pedo = 9907
    New pedo = 7277

Yeah, yeah, I know -- I should record the old pedo's numbers if I want to do my 10,000 steps . But durn it, my conscience wouldn't let me. 7,277 sounds more realistic .

10,000... maybe one day!
  • Go, go, go Ras! You can do it and I hope you'll be loving it as much as I do! 60 miles is a lot of miles! Keep us posted as to your progress!

Welcome back Dancer! Love the name, by the way! And I'm inspired by your 10k a day! So far, using the Omron, I haven't cracked 7,500, but I'm going to try to do a little more every day until I get there.

Of course, with the old pedo, I was racking up the steps like crazy. Nice for the ego but doing nothing for my real self!
  • Hmmmm TGIF, sofa, TV... maybe I can rack up a few extra steps by forcing myself to march around the room during every commercial break! Just as long as I don't march to the fridge!
  • Now I sorta want to go get your pedometer, except that I really like that mine has a multiple purpose. It doubles as a coin pouch that clips on my pants and has a pedometer on it. I keep my ID, bank cards, and money without having to carry a purse.
  • Hey, Lena! (and anyone else interested in her new pedometer )
    I don't know if you've read the instruction booklet that came with yours. I finally broke down and read mine after wearing the thing for over a week.
    Anyhow, it says that the pedometer doesn't count anything under 4 steps. So when you get up from the couch and take two steps to the chip bowl on the coffee table, the count doesn't move.
    That may account for some of the steps that aren't showing up compared to your old pedometer.
    Like you, I'd rather count low, and be pleasantly surprised by a greater weight loss.

Congratulations to everyone who is wearing and walking!!
  • Hi, there, Ellis!

I think it's 4 seconds to activation. Either way, I guess that's just to make sure you're actually walking somewhere, not heading to the chip bowl. Now if only that worked on the chips themselves. If you eat less than 4 or finish them in under 4 seconds, they don't count... wheeeee!

Oh, by the way, the old pedi was so sensitive, I could easily rack up 12 to 15 steps just pulling the pants down and up in the restroom. I'm serious -- I checked. And, given the amount of water I drink nowadays, that's a bunch o' steps right there!
  • Quote: Oh, by the way, the old pedi was so sensitive, I could easily rack up 12 to 15 steps just pulling the pants down and up in the restroom.

Lena, 4 seconds, eh? Well, you read those instructions better than I did!!
    Thanks for the information, hon. I'm so bad about reading instuctions... I like to "wing it".
    I love your "four second rule" for eating.