Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 02-08-2006, 12:14 PM   #1  
On my way!

Default Flavor Sprays

There was a segment on the View a couple of weeks ago about these no calorie, fat free sprays that come in many different flavors. I thought what the heck and ordered a couple (birthday cake and bbq). They came in the mail today, and I have to say they taste EXACTLY like the real thing. YUM!
Smoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 12:21 PM   #2  

Sounds interesting. Do you have a link to a website that might have more information on them?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 12:23 PM   #3  
On my way!

Here you go:

http://www.flavorspraydiet.com/
Old 02-08-2006, 12:28 PM   #4  
What are you waiting for?

S/C/G: 232/258/223

Height: 5'4

Very interesting, Im afraid i would be spraying everything and end up a spray addict lol... weird
rysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 03:20 PM   #5  
repeat offender

S/C/G: 178/167/105

Height: 5' 3"

Does it really taste like the real thing?
Miaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 03:30 PM   #6  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 220/188/170

Height: 5'5"

Unhappy healthy?

Is it healthy? As far as, you know, processing, preservatives and all that other stuff i should be concerned about? Im definetly interested!
MiaManning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 02:46 AM   #7  

I just bought some. Cheedar cheese, bcon, chocolate rasberry truffle and banna split. I will let you all know when i get them and how they are
TANK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 12:47 PM   #8  

Please do. I'm interested myself. Though I'm not sure how I would use them. Well, I can see myself spraying some of the savory ones on say, a baked potato or something. But what would I spray the sweet ones on? Directly into my mouth?

I'd really like to know, I'm seriously thinking of giving this a try.
Old 02-14-2006, 01:02 PM   #9  
On my way!

I spray the sweet ones on plain yogurt, ff cool whip or sugar free vanilla ice cream.
Old 02-14-2006, 01:05 PM   #10  
On my way!

The ingredients are water, natural and artifical flavors, salt and sodium benzoate (a preservative). Each serving contains no fat, no carbs, no calories, no protein, 10 mg. of sodium.
Old 02-15-2006, 01:06 AM   #11  

Curiousity got the best of me. I've decided to order a few bottles of the flavors that sounded the best to me. I've gotten the Buttery Spray, Teriyaki Spray, Ranch Spray, and Marshmallow Spray. I know that they might turn out to be dreadful, but it's not like it cost me that much, and if they are okay then they might really jazz up my diet some. I hope.

I'll report back.
Old 02-15-2006, 05:41 PM   #12  

I ordered parmesian, pesto and chocolate. I will be using them on veggies, plain pasta, cous cous, toast, ice cream, yogurt, angelfood cake and my boyfriend....the chocolate fudge at least.
Infrogwetrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 05:07 PM   #13  

Ok, I got my sprays in the mail this past Thursday, here are my thougths.

I am not employed by or have connections to chef Burke, this is just my take on this products that I've tried.

This the "flavor spray" meal I had Friday night.

5 ounces frozen green peas, cooked plain in microwave, no water or salt added.
Divided into 2 piles on plate, 1 portion sprayed with 2 sprays butter flavor, other sprayed
with 2 sprays ranch

butter-- not very noticeable, not much smell. Little if any salt taste.
1 spray on finger, light but artificial buttery flavor (no surprise there), moderate salt. Light intensity

ranch-- some herbal and dairy notes, very faint, but definitely different than plain peas.
Very light salt. Smelled like ranch dressing. medium strong intensity
1 spray on finger, medium salt, surprisingly sour, though not unpleasant. Some "ranch" flavor.

1 6 oz tilapia fillet, cooked in cast iron pan w/approx 1 tsp. crisco, no seasonings added.
Plated, then sprayed with 4 sprays teriyaki flavor.

4 sprays... couldn't taste
1 spray on finger to sample, pleasantly sweet and balanced teriyaki flavor, med-light intensity
4 more sprays on fish, light, pleasant teriyaki, very nice flavor

Marshmallow
1 spray on finger. sweet, defiantly "marshmallow", medium intensity, strong marshmallow smell
2 sprays onto approx. 3 ounces of fat free cottage cheese-- Definite marshmallow smell. Very light, sweetened tasted.

Conclusions: I should point out that I have sinus problems, I tend to be pretty bad at tasting subtle flavors. The bottles and website recommend 1 or 2 sprays to flavor foods, but for me that simply wasn't enough. The fact that I didn't salt my food beforehand might also be a factor, the sprays were going onto some pretty bland foods that demanded a fair amount of seasonings. I think that the flavors of the sprays might be more pronounced if the food is preseaoned with a reasonable amount of salt. All in all the sprays taste good, in particular the teriyaki flavor. But I had to use alot more than recommended to get enough flavor to be able to enjoy it.

But even so, I think it might be worth it. The chef claims there are about 400 sprays worth of product in each bottle, and I have no reason to disbelieve that. Even accounting that it takes 8 sprays to flavor 6 ounces of fish, that comes to 50 servings per bottle. With shipping, each bottle comes to about 6 or 7 dollars. That doesn't seem like an outrageous price to pay, to me. It is very easy to use, has a nice flavor, and does save some calories over the more traditional sauce (I had been using Kikkoman's Teriyaki Baste&Glaze, which claims 50 calories per 2 tablespoon serving).

These sprays might not be to everyone's liking, but I think that I will by buying them again, especially the Teriyaki, and I am tempted to try some of his other savory flavors as well (I'm just not as into the sweet stuff, not because I was overly disappointed with the marshmallow).
Old 02-27-2006, 10:03 AM   #14  
LLV

Oh my gosh! This is incredible! I never knew these things existed. And there are so many flavors.

Any other ideas of what to use them on?

And also, what are the shipping costs for these?
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 10:16 AM   #15  
She

I just wanted to say that I ordered the cheddar spray and was very disappointed. I had thought it might be good on popcorn, but in all honesty, it just tastes like a chemical, even when applied to the back of my hand.

Perhaps the other flavors are better, but I won't be trying them. I recommend avoiding the cheddar.

~Julie

Last edited by She; 02-27-2006 at 10:24 AM.
She is offline   Reply With Quote