February Alternachick chat

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Good morning everyone!

Well after a few dull, dreary days of snow and freezing rain the sun is out today! I feel invigorated!

I thought I could look forward to a nice quiet weekend but I've now been informed that one of our friends is coming over to shoot a cooking show using our kitchen on Saturday and DH is having the guys over for chili and football on Sunday. I'll be heading down to my mum & dad's for dinner on Sunday - I love watching the Superbowl but the noise level with all the guys in the house is just too much for me to deal with. Besides they need their guy time just as much as we need our girl time.

What is everyone else up to this weekend?
  • It's gorgeous here too! It feels more like early April than February. :\

This weekend, I am planning on catching up on laundry and homework and then going to a Superbowl Party on Sunday. I was wibbling at first over what would be there to eat... Superbowl Parties aren't exactly vegan friendly, but I decided I'd just make something vegan and bring it along... I found a really yummy recipe for Sun-dried tomato hummus that should keep me from feeling too left-out!
  • Alas no sun yet here, just more rain. We're getting out of town to Portland this weekend for a pagan festival/con. Since it's in a hotel, the hubby is even coming. (He's *not* a camper)

In other news... I'm going to be an aunt! I'm very excited. I got the call from my sister over the weekend.
  • Congratulations on your impending Auntiness!

I walked up to the lulu lemon store today - Home of the very lovely but expensive yoga outfits and running outfits.

Let's see:

Pair of yoga pants $69.00,
    yoga top $37.00
    eco-friendly yoga mat$39.99

= I look great but now I can't afford to pay for the dammned yoga class!

I think I'll buy something from Walmart until I there is a 1/2 off sale at the fancy smanchy store
  • Congrats Tani! Being an aunt is wonderful!
    Mauvais - That is way too expensive. Yuck. :-p
    Hi incendiary!

I am around, but really tired lately and feeling kind of blah, even though it is beautiful outside. I went on an interview yesterday, but I don't actually want the job. While really thinking about the whole thing, I decided I may not like my current job all of the time, but I like what I do, and am good at it.

That's all from me for now.
  • [QUOTE=mauvaisroux]

= I look great but now I can't afford to pay for the dammned yoga class!

QUOTE]

hehehehehehe isn't that the truth. I feel the same way about Title 9, they have the most amazing exercise clothes, but I usually wait for the big sales to actually buy anything.
  • I'm thinking of taking a Bikram yoga class. DH wants to do yoga but without all of the "mumbo jumbo" as he calls it - honestly, somedays I want to smack him Funny, after our tarot readings on Saturday night my girlfriends were discussing how it seems (generally) that women are much more open to spirituality and related things than men are.

After doing some research into a few Yoga centres in town and talking to the hubby of an friend of a friend who recently started teaching yoga it looks like Bikram is the way to go. Apparently it can help with weight loss, flush out toxins, reduce stress and limit the effects of aging or so the brochure says

I'm really looking forward to it
  • Mauv: Do you like heat? Is your reaction to a hot day to want to get out and move in it? If not You may want to try a few Bikram classes before you committ to several. It gets really hot in those rooms, I love it, but I know a lot of people who find it opressive. (there needs to be a yoga smiley on here)
  • Yeah, I know it's going to be hot But it's the one DH wants to go to and he rarely gets into stuff like this - I've been after him to get some regular exercise for the past year- so I have to strike while the iron is hot (no pun intended ) and before he loses interest in going.

I will take your suggestion of taking a couple of drop in classes first before buyin a package deal.
  • Hey All! Still super busy with house plans - the idea being to know exactly what we want vs what we can afford before we lift a shovel.

Considering outrageous constructions costs this days - what with the government shipping our lumber to the middle east to rebuild and driving up the costs - and the fact that our next door neighbor is a licenced contractor willing to help us in a supervisory capacity without actually hiring him - we have pretty much decided to do this ourselves. We will hire a guy to pour the foundation since we want a daylight basement and concrete walls that are over a foot thick and over 8 ft tall requiring a knowledgable person to pour it so it doesnt bow or cave in. But most the constructions we were going to have to do anyway if we bought a kit home so we are cutting out the middle man. We have access to plenty of cheaper and free logs, so DH is gonna get a home lumber mill, I am gonna get some really good high end architectural software and go from there. We are leaning toward a timber frame home so basically regular house with oversized exposed beams inside - and pine planked walls in and out instead of sheetrock.

Anyway - most my time is currently spent working out the floor plan and researching the software out there.

Hope everyone is doing good - have fun in the sauna Mauv!

Hey to everyone else!
  • I've just recently started looking into the Bikram yoga. One of the places here does do a "pay what you can" community drop in class on Sunday mornings, so I figured I'd try that out first before committing to more. Lemme know how you like it, mauvaisroux.

ajandpj99, the plans for the house sound really cool! That's a huge thing to take on, but rah, that totally kicks butt. Best to you with that.

Congrats, Tani, on empending auntieness!

Rachel
  • Trying to come up with the cashola to get to class but it probably won't happen for another 2 weeks - I will let you know how it goes

In the meantime I have been doing A.M./P.M. yoga featuring Rodney Yee and enjoying it - I do it in the morning now, well since Saturday- so I am on day 5- and I feel more awake and in a better mood in the mornings
  • Hi all!

I got my architect software - totally awesome, I will be able to design every detail down the wires and pipes.

Now if I can just do a good enough job convincing the County that we dont need an engineer to prove structural stability - we will be good.

Hope all is well with everyone.

Had company this weekend - it has been cold but very sunny - so going for walks and taking the neices horseback riding and hiking up and down the driveway gave me a major butt workout - felt like I spent a day on a stairmaster.

Keep it real!
  • Are there many different types of yoga and whats the difference?

I used to go to yoga classes and I think she said it was ashtanga or something like that and it seemed to be alot about meditation and breathing and stuff but I don't know anything about the different types.

I get free classes included in my gym fee so i keep meaning to do more classes.
  • aj, hasn't the weather been awesome? Hubby and I went to the coast the weekend before valentines day, we had a mini vacation and it was his birthday. We had sun and about 50-60 degrees. On the coast. In February!! It was glorious!

Been having a hard time dealing with everything past few months... haven't even felt much like posting here. Didn't do a goal this month even... however, i did meet a goal finally that i placed for myself last month, which is to make all my yearly appts and get them over with! this friday it's eyes, march 1's it's my annual, march 31'st it's the teeth cleaning and hopefully a referral to rip out my wisdom teeth, one is being a real ***** and my teeth are getting crooked. grr. so with all those out of the way i feel a little like i'm being healthy... *L* takes my mind of the fact that i had to go up a size to the largest size i've ever worn. *sigh*