Hummus

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Is hummus permitted on the Gold Plan? What would it be considered?
  • Yes, but I think that it has to be homemade, from dry beans. Here is what I do: Soak a 1 lb bag of garbanzo beans in a big bowl of water overnight. Rinse, cover with water, simmer for 2 hours or until really soft, place one cup of beans into the food processor, add a couple of cloves of garlic, tahini, lemon juice, pepper, Mortons, curry powder, or whatever you like, blend for several minutes. This is one protein serving. I like to eat it with baked pita chips, celery sticks, carrot sticks, ect. I froze the rest of mine in one cup servings. It made five one cup bags. Pretty cheap protein, $1.59=6 servings.
  • Katie - you are an awesome source of information and inspiration. I LOVE hummus but have been staying away from it b/c I had no idea how to make it.
  • Oh...OK, so it would be a protein?
  • Chklit ! You Made your mini Goal!! Congrats!!
    Miss you!
  • Thanks Carmen!

I forgot to mention that you may have to add a little water to the the right consistency.
  • I've never tried Hummus - Sounds interesting though
  • I'm also on the gold plan and asked one of the ladies from the center ( )if hummus is ok. To my surprise she said no. It will be added during stabilization and/or maintainance. She said it has too much fat... (although you are allowed tahini?) She may be wrong... hopefully because I miss hummus!
    ~D
  • Yeah, as long as it is homemade, what is the difference? Garbanzo beans are in the book as a vegeterian protein.
  • Quote: I'm also on the gold plan and asked one of the ladies from the center ( )if hummus is ok. To my surprise she said no. It will be added during stabilization and/or maintainance. She said it has too much fat... (although you are allowed tahini?) She may be wrong... hopefully because I miss hummus!
    ~D
    Ive found that they often say no to things listed in the cookbook because they are asuming you mean from the store. I get hollered at all the time when they see tomato sauce in my journal until I say, the cookbook says ok.
  • Isn't there a hummus recipe on the LAWL website? There used to be.
  • Yes there is a recipe posted on their site, but it's made with chickpeas and some other stuff. I will post it in the recipe section.
  • Laura - I am on gold and in my book 1/3 c hummus = 1 starch.

I have used store bought hummus a few times as my starch.

hope that helps

-S
  • Sznn - I think you're plan is different than mine - you're in Canada, right? Mine doesn't list hummus at all.

I've never tried tahini, but two tspoons is a fat. Hmmm, may have to look for it at the store.
  • I've recently asked my counsellor about hummous, and she was saying that they are making new booklets, or they will be out soon, or something like that, and hummous is now considered a starch (as someone above stated). I'm in Canada, and I don't know if this is something that they are going to be introducing to the states as well as here...