Take a Multi-Vitamin when dieting or not?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I was just wondering if any of ya all think it's important to take a multi-vitamin when dieting, I do take one daily. But was wondering if it's necessary to take one in order to diet in a healthier way. What do you all think?
  • Absolutely! I've started taking it when I started on the diet and decided to keep taking it even after I reach my goal weight.
  • Basically, I agree with Miaka. I think a good multi-vitamin is terrific for almost everybody and probably hurts no one. However, be careful about getting caught up in the "if one is good, maybe more is better" net. An excess of certain vitamin and mineral supplements can be very detrimental to you general health. Check out any of the health related sites on the net. If in any doubt, talk to your own doctor.
  • Yes, I do.
  • I think what meowee is trying to say is that there is vitamin overdose. Watch out for fat soluble vitamins, as the body stores those. The water soluble ones, the body uses and discards.
  • Yes, at the advice of my Dr. I take a vitamin every day. Only one though, there is such thing as too much of a good thing!
  • Generally, the vitamins that can cause overdose are fat soluble rather than water soluble. Fat soluble vitamins like A can build up in your body while water soluble vitamins like C get flushed out naturally. Some minerals can cause health issues in very large doses too. The thing is way too much is either wasted or harmful, so why bother?

tangent: The only reason I know of to OD on any vitamin is taking mega doses (3K+ mg) of C while drinking lots of water to kill a bladder infection. It works too, I'm prone to them and I never have to take antibiotics for them ever.
  • I started taking one when I started dieting. However, from everything I've learned, it's good to take one regardless. Last year I switched to a whole food vitamin from the health store, though right now, I'm just taking my prenatals while nursing.
  • Vitamins
    I take one packet of Nature's Code (from QVC). There's 6 pills in each daily packet (90 day supply in the box). For women under 50 there's

2 multi-vitamins
    2 calcium
    1 Vitamin E
    1 Magnesium

I gag a lot of vitamins and because of that have only been taking them about 2-3 days a week. Even when I cut them up I have trouble. I'm hoping to get used to it. Also, they upset my bathroom cycle if you know what I mean!
  • I take a one a day vitamin.
  • take a multivitamin no doubt. I was gonna try one from vitamin world, but i think i am gonna stick to someone whose been at it longer like the one a day vitamin. With so many questions on how reliable manuf. are i am gonna stick to something that more people take which I think would be something like one a day, cause centrum is good too but i just like that one a day has twice the amount of two things i really need. i am either gonna get the weight loss one or the regular one. unsure.
  • I take a multivitamin every day. Plus I also take fish oil and a calcium supplement because, admittedly, I don't get enough calcium from my diet.
  • I take a multi. I don't think anything else is needed as I am eating a healthy diet these days.
  • I take a few things:
    a multi
    2 fish oil capsules (2 grams of Omega-3 oils)
    calcium chews
    a B complex right before my period, reduces cramps
    daily iron--I get anemic without it

I eat a pretty healthy diet but I think these are necessary for me.
  • Hmmm..glad someone asked this question because I had been debating about it for a while myself. Think I'll give it a try next week on payday!