Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 06:39 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 329/tracker/168

Height: 5'6"

Default 300+ And Ready to Try Again...#815

WELCOME !!!

We are a group of individuals who weigh or have weighed 300+, or near there. This group was formed to provide a place for others like us to find support and hope. We are aware of the distinct problems that come with weighing over 300 lbs.

We want to invite everyone to join us in our journey.
We share laughter and tears.
We share what works for us and what doesn't.
We often use a "Topic of the Day" for discussion.

Motivational Monday
Tuesday Tips
Wednesday Wish List .. and What you are doing to obtain it.
Thankful Thursday
FUN Friday ... don't wait until you lose your weight.
Sit-up Saturdays - any physical activity
Share your Success Sunday

These are not required topics ...just ideas to share. We often find them very helpful. We also share heartaches and fears ... joys and celebrations.

We have several extra threads going on simutaneously such as Monthly Challenges, Weekly Weigh-ins, Recipes, Bios, and more. Please feel free to check them all out.

We have found this thread to be more than just a support group...
we have found it to become a home. We invite you to join us.

WELCOME!

I know you'll all agree that we are really thankful for the free services here at 3FC. The sisters offer all of this support and information with no charges to us. There are a couple of ways though that we can help out.

If you are thinking about buying anything at Amazon, why not help out 3FC at the same time? You can do this by clicking on the button for Amazon on any page in the forum, or by clicking on the button on the main 3FC page at www.3fatchicks.com . A portion of your purchase price will be given to 3FC by Amazon. It doesn't increase your price at all, but it does help out 3FC. You can use any of the Amazon.com links that you see on the site in order to help contribute to the site.

Also, BTW, in case you didn't know it, you can view the message boards "ad free" for a minimal charge. I think it's like $15 for 6 months. A very small investment to be rid of the annoying ads and make your pages load quicker.

There have been some concerns expressed by the powers that be about copyright infringement. So please, if you are directly quoting someone else or printing an article in whole or in part, please give credit where credit is due!!!!
Old 01-26-2006, 06:48 PM   #2  

Hello everyone...I hope everyone had a good day!

Sorry I have not been able to respond to you guys individually. My computer is running so slow its hard to see who wrote what. But I thank you guys so much for sharing your situations and tips. You guys are an inspiration! On a good note though...I am pretty sure I have lost a good amount of weight..at least 10-20 pounds. My face looks different and my stomach. And my DH out of the blue yesterday say.."babe you have a lost a good bit of weight." So I am anxious for our scale to get here..its on its way with the rest of our stuff that we moved. But strange thing is...none of my clothes fit different. Have any of you had this happen? They say the clothes are the first thing you notice. Well I hope you all have a good night!

michelle
Old 01-26-2006, 07:21 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 329/tracker/168

Height: 5'6"

Hi Michelle - I know all too well how you can lose weight but not really see it in your clothes. I lost 22 lbs before Christmas, and although I did get into some smaller undies that I bought months ago, my ordinary clothes still fit like normal. I think not SEEING the results of my dieting is one of the reasons I failed at it and gained all that weight back. But I am back on track now and this time whether I see a loss or not I am sticking on this diet.

I am thrilled that your hubby and even yourself can see a big difference in how you look, forgetting the clothes fitting the same. That must be a huge buzz. I can't wait til your scales arrive and you can find out just what you have lost.

Have a great day,

Hugs,

Ammi
Old 01-26-2006, 07:33 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 412/TICKER/175

Height: 5'5

Hi Michelle...Weight loss is different for everyone. Usually, you'll see a difference in the clothes AND on the scales, but sometimes, you lose inches before pounds. Congratulations!
Old 01-26-2006, 08:21 PM   #5  
banned

S/C/G: 322/ticker/165

Height: 5*7

Kayley *hugs* i hope you are doing better
Old 01-26-2006, 08:41 PM   #6  

Thanks, Luan. I'm feeling a tiny bit better, yet I can't shake the depression.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:01 PM   #7  
determined to lose

Michelle - I dont know about you but most of my clothes have elastic wastebands and they were very stretched out at my highest weight. Now that I am losing weight they still fit but they are less stretched out. In fact, they fit better now.

Kayley - I wish there were magical words to type to make you feel better!

For thankful thursday I am thankful for this site and you people, I am thankful I woke up and decided to lose the weight that has been dragging me down for years, I am thankful that you all introduced me to WATP, and I am thankful we have all survived our hardships are surviving any remaining ones and will live longer because we lose weight. We are all beautiful!
Old 01-26-2006, 09:13 PM   #8  

Hope you ladies have a good night. I'm off to bed to try and shake this feeling.

Night
Old 01-26-2006, 10:37 PM   #9  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

Well, I made it through my first workout in a gym! I got there a little early and got a locker, paid for my sessions, etc. I then did 5 minutes on the elliptical and 5 minutes on the treadmill before working with my new trainer. He is in his forties or fifties and seems pretty normal – he is not really pumped up or anything, just into fitness. I think my favorite was working with the exercise ball – those are so cool! My one piece of advice would be to get the larger one (65cm vs 55) and deflate it a bit even if you are short. The larger one definitely fit better from the bum width perspective. We also did a bunch of stuff with resistance bands plus generally movement stuff. It wasn’t earth shattering or anything, but I think the most important thing for me was the message to myself that I am worth it – I am making this investment of time and money in myself and this person is here working for me to help me get to my goal. After I finished my half hour session with the trainer I did another 17 minutes on the treadmill – getting to a half mile. The elliptical was pretty tough for me – I will have to work on that one. I am pretty sore now – I hope I didn’t overdo it.

Ammi - I think you posted about it on the exercise thread, but that was very cool you walked instead of taking a taxi. With the money you save on the fares, maybe you could add that to a new wardrobe account of something.

Michelle – For me, I don’t expect to see a huge difference in my clothes because I have never worn clothes that are very fitted. In fact, I have been wearing some of the same clothes for the last 100 lbs (from the point I was about 250 to 350). Of course they fit differently, and somewhere around 300 - 325 I had to move from 3x to 4x for a lot of items. One of the big things I am looking forward to is being able to shop for clothes at Target again. Getting out of the 3x range really sucked. You might want to actually measure yourself – I just got a tape measure recently. I actually had to special order it from a quilters company because most tape measures only go up to 60” and my hips are bigger than that – although hopefully not for long.

Christine – That is totally amazing that being of Singulair would cause such a large amount of water retention. It really makes me wonder about all of the things that actually effect that and the rest of our bodies. I am glad you were able to get more.

GarnetFairy – Happy Birthday!!! You made me chuckle with the number of tapes you bought. That is great! You will definitely never be bored.

Honiangel – Never worry about sharing. I am amazed at how strong you are – taking care of your nieces, working and trying to get healthy at the same time. Hopefully you will have some time left to yourself once and awhile to take care of you.

Zelma – you look gorgeous in your pics. Be as vain as you want to be – you have definitely earned it!

Kayley – hope you feel better when you wake up tomorrow. Some days there isn’t much else you can do but let sleep clear your mind.

Luan, Julee, Sarah and anyone else I missed – Hooray on your losses. Hopefully it is my turn tomorrow – my weigh in day is Friday.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:29 PM   #10  
determined to lose

Way to go Nancy!! The first day at the gym is always the hardest but having an appointment with a trainer makes you accountable and that helps a lot! I think I am finally over my cough so I can go back to working out too. I bought loads more tapes than the ones I listed I spent about $50 on ebay. Those were just the Leslie Sansone tapes I got. I got some Richard Simmons and Tae Bo and a couple of belly dancing ones and some I never heard of and Kathy Austin (I think). One auction was for a lot of 17 tapes another was for a lot of 6 and on like that. Now to figure out a place to put all of them. ha ha ha

Really proud of you starting at the gym, that is a big step!! The elliptical takes some getting used to. I had to just try to increas minute by minute at first and then 5 minutes by 5 minutes. The club had a TV I could watch and when I did that I could go farther because I was distracted. It really works your heart. Be sure to drink plenty of water, about every 15 minutes or so while you are sweating it out, that is really important! But your trainer will go over all that with you. I'm just so happy for you for taking this step, it is totally cool!
Old 01-26-2006, 11:55 PM   #11  

Well, Andrew came over, and completely made my mood do a 360. Now I can go to bed in peace.
Old 01-27-2006, 12:02 AM   #12  
Amber

S/C/G: 293/277/140

sarahdafiregal--I can't be on WW because I can't afford it *shrugs* just the way things are right now.

garnetfairy--Thank you. And yes the youngest is much better now.

christineu--I'm glad to know someone has done the RS program. I'll see what I can find on the diebetic exchanges. Thank you.

Ammi--Anja, my youngest neice, had bronchitis or bronchialitis...they never did tell us which, I just know that when we took her in she couldn't breath. You could see the muscles in her stomach and chest just fighting to take a breath. After spending the night under the oxygen tent the oxygen levels in her blood were only 83, and they never did get to 100 but they went ahead and released her with meds. She had broncialitis last year when she a month old and it damaged her lungs but they had said they were healed now. So I'm glad we got her in the hospital before it could damage them again.

And "Amer" is how she says my name...Amber, it's actually how most children say my name. For some reason the b is hard to say in the middle.

And, yeah...I have no love for my sister-in-law. But that whole story would be another whole thread . She pretty much doesn't have time for children in between parties, and the oldest one is only with us because my brother pays daycare and she doesn't have to hire a babysitter. She goes, or has gone, months at a time without seeing either of them. And since the Anja was 3 months old (when she moved in with me) her mother has seen her a total of four times only once for more than 24 hours. grrrrrrrrr...okay hard to type with my claws out so...

ZedAus--Thank you. You look terriffic in the pics btw.

Nancy--Thank you, and I try to time for myself...doesn't always work out but I do try.

Okay it's late and I have to try to get my 2 miles in today. There was an emergency room trip tonight so I didn't get home until just a bit ago so no 4 miles today. But I should, should still be over my goal by the end of the week. And the emergency room trip was my uncle,but my father wanted me to go to be there for my aunt and cousins. We are a pretty close family, and they had found my uncle unresponsive at home and had to call an ambulance to take him in to the hospital. When he got to the hospital, he was talking and awake, but they say he isn't getting enough oxygen so they are doing a battery of tests. The theory was that his being unresponsive was an insulin reaction mixing with his prescribed medication for an URI. I don't know if that will be the final verdict, but that was the initial theory. So if you can just say a prayer or cross your fingers for him. Thank you.

I hope that everyone has an absolutely wonderful day tomorrow.
Old 01-27-2006, 02:28 AM   #13  
banned

S/C/G: 322/ticker/165

Height: 5*7

nancy - you are in my thoughts! good luck on your weigh in tomorrow!! and congrats on getting to the gym and getting a trainer.

Kayley - im glad you are better!

i just got back from 2 hours at the gym. the more i go, the more i like it. i dont have a trainer, but i do at least 30 min on the treadmill, 15 min on the elliptical, and do the circut - its the machines that 24 hour fitness has chosen that work the most muscle groups. you are supposed to do 2 min on each machine, but i do about 50 reps. 2 min just doesnt seem like it would do much. i also do the abductor machines that work your inner and outer thigh. well. its time to hit the showers and watch Monsters Inc that i recorded. horray for DVR

Night all. Stay Losers!!
Old 01-27-2006, 03:41 AM   #14  
aka Valerie

S/C/G: 350/345/195

Hi Ladies! As usually I'm popping in while I can - From L.A. this time.... Lower Alabama, that is.

Michelle, I know what you mean about the fit of your clothes not changing at first. I had to lose about 35 pounds before I could start fitting in one size smaller, but the toning and exercise I'm doing now seem to make a bigger difference. This size is getting loose already. DH keeps saying "Isn't that the pair of pants you said were tight? They're baggy!" He must want something to keep talking that way... and he just might get it.

Kayley, so glad to see that Andrew cheered you up. I hope the sun shines on you today, and when you take a really deep breath, that you can feel how good it is just to be alive!

Princess, WTG on all that time at the gym! I just hope you can walk tomorrow!! ... I LOVE Monsters Inc - My girlfriend even got me the blue monster that talks. I just love the way he goes "Grrrrrr.... How was that?" It sounds a little, um, dirty... in a really cute way of course. Cracks me up!

Honiangel, Your SIL sound even worse than my DH's ex. He got custody because she was so lousy, and she never did anything for my step-daughter until I came along. Then she got so jealous she's played the girl ever since. Sadly I think the child is turning out JUST like her. I wish I'd been there for my SD lots sooner. I'm so glad your 2 angels have you, so they have love in their lives. Babies need kisses!

Hi Garnetfairy, Good deal on all the tapes. I've never tried an elliptical yet, but it sounds like a real workout! Glad your cough is about gone!

NotTheCheat, WOW! Sounds like an incredible workout. I go to Curves BECAUSE there aren't men, but the one I go to is owned my a man & wife. Mike is the one who's always there when I go, and if you'd told me before that I'd actually let a MAN coach me on the machines & stretches, come near me with a measuring tape, and look at the scale every month, I'd have told you that you were flat out crazy! But Mike is a fantastic coach and cheerleader. It was a little embarrassing the day he asked why I was holding my arms like I was, and I told him to keep my hooters from flopping cuz it hurt, but other than that he's cool.

Ammi, please add my on walking instead of taking a cab! That's the sort of thing that changes your life!

I still have bunches of catching up to do with prior posts. Please forgive me for missing so many of you. We've been hustling around the continent & I've been pretty good with both diet and exercise, although I'm sure I could be better on both. Tomorrow we head from Southern Alabama over to Columbus, Georgia, then on up to Hartford, Connecticut on Saturday, and hopefully home in Ohio by Sat. night, or Sunday morning. I'm dying to get home, head for the barn & see my boys. I'm actually kind of looking forward to weigh in next week, too. I wish I'd done a little better, but I'm headed the right way. Just because it's not coming off as fast as I'd like (does it ever?) doesn't mean I'm not changing my life for the better every day, and making my WOL more permanant every day.

And Zelma, I haven't seen those pics everyone's talking about yet, but I'll find 'em. One of your posts just hit home a bit ago, too: The hardest part of exercising is getting started sometimes. So, inspired by that, I'm going to go walk around my truck. Just once. But I know that that one trip will turn into many more & then I can be proud of myself... instead of sitting here on the 'puter with dumb excuses like "it's cold outside" (it's 43, which is 40 degrees higher than I was in 3 days ago) or "It's 3:30 in the morning" (I have to stay up & on duty anyway, AND it's safe here... I think there are armed guards just over yonder... in the dark ) or the ever popular "I don't Feeeeeel like it!" Sissy talk! I'm outa here.
Old 01-27-2006, 07:48 AM   #15  

Red face

Garnet and Julee ~ I’m sorry for what happened to you. My sister was raped by her boyfriend and then she stayed with him for like a year or two and they got engaged (we didn’t find out about it until several years after they broke up and it was through a friend of his ~ she has never spoken about it).

I think the whole thing really screwed up her head because she’s been in abusive relationships ever since and definitely does not see when someone is treating her in a way they shouldn’t. I also had friends who went through that. To me, it seems to do serious damage that follows the women the rest of their life (whether they are aware of it or not). I wish my sister would get some help for it, but she’s become an expert at denial in every area of her life (even turning her back while people have abused her children). It’s affects everyone down the line.

I don’t pity either of you. It makes me angry and I feel sad because I know how deep it cuts. No one has a right to do that to you. I think the look you are describing might be the “that could have been me” look. As women, we all know we are equally vulnerable.

Christine ~ I have been to a dietician. They give you the standard nutrition information, but don’t do anything when it doesn’t work (again, they think you’re not following the plan they gave you/that you’re eating stuff and not telling them ~ it’s even more stressful for someone to insinuate that you are lying).

I’ve been doing some research and found that low GI diets are good for people with PCOS. I went to the bookstore and got some books last night and I’m going to start that tomorrow. (For anyone who is interested, I did do the Insulin-Resistance Diet for like a year and it didn’t work for me either. It also is recommended for people with PCOS and you balance carbs with proteins, etc.)

All I can do is keep trying until I find the thing that sticks. So that’s what I’m doing. It just gets frustrating though. Sometimes it is depressing for me to come here and see where people say they lost several pounds without trying. There’s no way on this planet that I will ever be able to say that. But you guys also give me hope so I keep coming back. I am doing the things that count and I am committed to trying to prevent the heart disease so that’s enough for me. I can’t do any more than that.
Closed Thread