Using hamburger in foods??

• Now, I am pretty sure using hamburger is frowned upon since it is not in the book, but I really want a taco and NOT with ground turkey. Can I buy lean hamburger and have one???
  • you can't haveit at all OP at all. you can have ground sirloin, wich is beef however. Ground sirloin is ground beef and is basically the only one OP.
    Even lean ground beef is very high in fat. Ground chuck and ground round (which is basically round steak ground up) is still very high, but if you must go off program I would say to at least try to use ground round, although ground sirlion is the best choice.
  • I have used extra lean ground beef on occaision (93% lean) - but I don't eat beef THAT often, so I'm not sure what difference it really has made over the course of the past few months. It's only 160 cals for 4 oz, so I think it's a fair sub for a P.

Julei
  • HA HA! NO KIDDING!!
    I really am not much of a meat eater- in fact most of the time I eat the vegetarian protiens. So i figured I could have a bit of hamburger- lean of course- maybe count the taco mix as my salt for the day?? I don't know- i may opt not to have it at all...
  • I'm no expert on seasoning, but have you tried any of the veggie burger crumbles? They should be listed under the vegetarian proteins as well.

Julie
  • Always eat the food you want when you have a craving. Just dont eat to much. If you avoid eating it thats all you will think of then you will bindge. Buy lean products as much as possible just dont forget you have to live.
  • tfoster - I posted a taco seasoning recipe awhile back in the recipe thread. I think it's on page 8. We use it several times a week on both chicken and beef and also it doesn't contain any salt so it has unlimited use.
  • I use either 93% lean ground beef or 90% lean ground beef. Ground sirloin, which is what is allowed on plan, is actually the 90% lean ground beef. Also, I rinse the meat in a strainer after browning it and before adding it to the dish to reduce fat and calories. And, if I am going to use the same pan to cook the dish, I make sure to wash all the grease out of the pan with dishwashing detergent and hot water.

I have actually been using ground turkey breast in chili, spaghetti, and lasanga; and the kids don't even know....
  • Quote: Seriously try making your own taco seasoning. It's mainly just cumin, lite salt, and chili powder, but I like garlic powder too. You will be amazed how much money you save, not to mention you are able to control your sodium intake better.

The lean ground beef is better tasting as far as crumbled and browned beef TO ME. I just like the fact htat it tastes like beef and not grease.

I'm with you...I really don't like ground turkey unless it's really disguised in something like chili.