Mantra - What is yours?

You're on Page 2 of 3
Go to
  • Quote: 'Whatever it takes.'
    Heh heh ... I knew I forgot one!
  • "It's all I want, it's all or nothing."

I heard that in a song on one of my son's CDs.
  • Ok, this isn't a set mantra, but I drive to work alone, and on the way, I list 10 things I love about myself now, and 10 things I'll love about being thin.

Today, I was faced with a bowl of candy, and one of the things I'd love about being thin just popped into my head. So as of this afternoon, I fight temptation by thinking of that.

so, my mantra is a random 1/10th of this:
    1. People will notice me in a good way
    2. I'll have the energy to work AND play
    3. I'll have a jawline
    4. Size 9 low rider jeans
    5. People won't look shocked when I say I used to be a dancer
    6. I'll be able to keep up with my friends' kids
    7. I'll have a healthier heart
    8. I'll be able to read those articles about "waists smaller than 35 inches" being healthy and know that's me!
    9. I'll be cute in a bikini
    10. Clavicles!!!

• "You can sleep tomorrow"

Gets me up early - or keeps me up late - so I can work out. You see, tomorrow never comes...
  • Mine is: 'Have a tall glass of cold water and wait 10min.' This works wonders for warding off cravings.
  • When it comes to food, mine is "It takes 5 minutes to eat it, but 5 weeks to get rid of it".
  • "I don't need to be perfect, I just need to be better than I was".

and "One good decision at a time"

and "You won't be able to finish that half marathon if you don't run regularly" is working pretty well at the moment too
  • I have a new mantra which someone posted on this forum (sorry, I forget who it was) it is:

If you think you shouldn't - then don't!

Like when I'm going past the candy isle and start thinking I shouldn't really get any Lindt chocolate, but hubby might like some (meaning I) would like some

I tried out my new mantra the other day and it worked!
  • I have 2.... whatever works!, and screaming NEXT in my head when Im beating myself up or wanting what I shouldnt have. Both work great for me.
  • My mantra used to be "size 8, size 8, size 8." It was particularly helpful in the last 3 minutes of the evil elliptical. Now that I'm a size 8, though, my mantra is "Never again."
  • I loved, "If you think you shouldn't, then don't." I am going to write it on the white board of my classroom while my kids are taking their final exams next week.
  • "I am not a garbage can"- I like that because it also refers to unhealthy foods you might be tempted by!
  • "Do I want to give up my ideals for taste?" (I'm vegetarian.)

"I can do this."

"I'm doing better than I was."

"I can stop if I want." (Keeps me from freaking out when I'm doing a long workout.)

Wow, just writing these down is helping. I might post a mantra every time I post in my journal.
  • For me, at the moment, its "The look on their face, the look on their face"
    because I am going with a friend who doesn't live close to see the other best friend in NYC in March. My goal is to be down at least 1 size by then (altho i begin to have doubt whether i am *eveR* going to get there....just like everyone!)

The overall goal...I have this picture in my head of myself at half the size with a flat stomach on my dream trip to Scotland, which i have promised myself when I graduate grad school in 2-3 years. With all that extra money I'll have lying around after tuition. LOL.

• Well, this is rather embarassing. But, when I am walking or jogging on the treadmill, when I get tired, I say "I will not be too fat to get on the ride".

That doesn't mean anything to anyone but me.

Last year, at Dollywood, my then 8 year old wanted to get on a ride with me. I got on it, and they couldn't close the lap bar. I had to get off.

And, I am overweight, but not considerably so! I was 199, and a size 16 at the time.

Man, was THAT embarassing. Nope, that won't happen again.