How often

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • How often do you weigh yourself? I am starting to become obsessed and weigh myself once a day as soon as I wake, before I eat breakfast. This a.m. I weighed 204, which is an official check in day - once a week. I couldn't help but be a little disappointed since I am down 1 lb. from last week. So, when I returned from the gym from my workout I weighed myself and I weighed 202. How is that possible? I hadn't eaten breakfast yet, but I also have AF and it is almost gone. Could I have been retaining water from AF? Aside from the fact that I need to stop weighing myself so much (I'm going to have Dh hide the scale from me!), which weight would you go by? If I go by the 204 and next week's weigh in I weigh 2+ lbs. less, that is good, but if I go by 202 and I don't lose as much will I be disappointed? LOL! WWYD?
  • I weigh once a week, or if I think I am plateauing, once a month. I am sorry to say you are just weird You're meant to way more after working out not less!!!! AF will definately make you hold water. If you are weighing every day, make a note of your weight and choose the most stable weight as your "official one" or the lowest of the week, whatever suits you. i'd go the lowest personally

I don't own scales, and the guy at the gym growls at me if I weigh more than once a week!!!!!
  • I weigh daily but only because I love learning about how my body works. I'm an analyzer and statistic junky. I enter everything (calories in/out, extra calories, daily weight) and then I have all these formulas that figure out deficit/surplus, weightloss to date, possible weightloss to date. See what I mean...just a junky. The more data I have the more fun this weightloss thing is going to be...it's my motivator actually!
  • HI! I regularly post on the Sugar busters sites, but have this bit of info for you. Supposedly the body is at it's lowest weight around 9:30 am or so. We weigh in on Mondays typically, but I would say once maybe twice a week should be plenty!
  • I weigh just once a week--anything more makes me crazy!!
  • Quote: I weigh just once a week--anything more makes me crazy!!
    Me TOO!!!!!!! Ive actually purposely skipped this weeks weigh in. I dont want to get on the scale until my jeans are feeling a bit looser
  • I usually weigh myself every day in the a.m. and every time I go to the gym prior to my workout. I have an engineering degree & have worked in the field my whole career -- I like playing with data . I usually just pay attention to the lows and the scale at my gym is my "official" scale.
  • I weigh daily!!
    I weigh in daily, in the a.m. before breakfast, and record that weight for the day. Last week I didn't lose not one pound, and that can really be discourageing. But since I have found this web-site, I find the support that I need to keep it going. It's nice knowing that there are all kinds of people who struggle daily as I do. But keep it going, sometimes weight is just going to stand still and look same, but eventually it will start going down. So whether you weigh in daily or once a week, just keep your goal in mind and you will see a difference.
  • Statistic Junkie
    Quote: I weigh daily but only because I love learning about how my body works. I'm an analyzer and statistic junky. I enter everything (calories in/out, extra calories, daily weight) and then I have all these formulas that figure out deficit/surplus, weightloss to date, possible weightloss to date. See what I mean...just a junky. The more data I have the more fun this weightloss thing is going to be...it's my motivator actually!

That's me too!! I didn't have those tools the last time I lost weight but I still journaled, etc. Now I think it is so much fun finding out if the food choices I make is giving me the nutrients I need.
  • Quote: I weigh daily but only because I love learning about how my body works. I'm an analyzer and statistic junky. I enter everything (calories in/out, extra calories, daily weight) and then I have all these formulas that figure out deficit/surplus, weightloss to date, possible weightloss to date. See what I mean...just a junky. The more data I have the more fun this weightloss thing is going to be...it's my motivator actually!
    Same here.
  • Never
  • HA, me too.
    Sounds like me. Last week I was stepping on there everyday.
    But its so not worth it, day to day you can change so much in weight, I was starting to get frustrated. So, I have decided to just weigh a couple times a week..on my days off. GOOD LUCK.
    -CK
  • Every day! in the morning after I pee, in nitewear.
    I like to see how it changes and how the food the day prev affected it.
    its can make me wanna keep going if results are gd but if they're bad it'll make me wanna give up.
  • In previous weight loss attempts, I weighed every day, or even multiple times a day. The fluctuations created an emotional roller coaster - if the scale was down I was euphoric, if the scale was up, I was devastated and it went UP down UP down UP down all day.

During the last weight loss effort, I weighed weekly (Sundays, in the morning, nekkid) and it was much better for my emotional health.
  • Hey!

I posted a new study at Sonoma yesterday:
    http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73203

We are having a nice discussion on it!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From YOUR DIET Magazine
    displayed until Jan 30,2006

Page 5: - "Daily Weigh-ins can keep pounds off. Tracking 3000 people for two years, a University of Minnesota study found daily weighers lost twice as much as weekly weighers."