Clicking Knees

• Hi- I've never posted here, but I'm wondering if anyone else's knees click when they bend them (especially after a run). I've been running for a few years (no crazy speeds or distances), but the clicking is getting worse- shoud I be worried?
  • I had clicking knees in the past, before I started losing weight. It wasn't just after a run (run? Back then? Yeah, right!) but whenever I had to move the joint. My doctor told me that I was losing cartilege in there, and my kneecap wasn't "tracking" properly. It did get better as I lost weight.

I think you should be somewhat concerned. If it is the same thing, it can be serious. Blowing out a knee can be a lifelong hassle. I'm not trying to scare you, but I do think that this is worth seeing a doctor about, even if it isn't hurting.
  • Is there pain with the clicking or just clicking? Does it mostly happen when you do squats or all the time? Is there grinding too?
  • I have grinding in my knees but it doesnt hurt. Should I be concerned as well? Sorry to infringe on someone elses topic, but just had to ask. Thanks!
  • Grinding is called crepitus. It's usually a sign of a roughening in the inside part of the kneecap. Often occurs with chondromalacia patella/patellofemoral syndrome. You don't need to be concerned, except be vigilant about keeping your quads strong, to encourage the patella to track properly.
  • Everyone has crepitis in their joints, so don't be over concerned about that. Is the clicking a loud superficial sound or a deeper one? And does it only occur after activity?

Women have increased Q angles, making the pull from the hip to the knee more prone to injury. You won't 'blow out' your knee from the click, but it can be a sign of some tracking issues (patella is pulled laterally) like the others have mentioned or a tendonitis. Some of the best exercises you can do is to strengthed the VMO...(do some isometrics that strengthen the inner thigh) to aid in tracking. Take some aleive or IBU and make sure to ice your knee after you run.
  • Thank you