"Every-Day" 21-Day Challenge -- There's strength in numbers!!

You're on Page 8 of 47
Go to
  • The little things 4 (1-towels, 2-squizing in, 3-socks)
    Interesting to compare 1 pound of yogurt is just a jar which nicely fits into my hand. yet 1 pound of fat, is a huge nasty blob. Are they equal - yes of course, mass is same 1 pound. But perceptually they are not, one can produce the other, and when we look at volume we can see how much yogurt is smaller. Food, life, relationships, many things are all about volume, substance. I don't want just a guy, I want a top quality one, right?
    I stood there at Trader Joe's reading lables for yougurt trying to find plain with little amount of carbs, and no fructose or corn syurope...and today I tried on my something my mom used to wear before (for a brief period as she transitioned between weight. She did lose over 50 pounds and have kept it off for 2 years now). It's a coat like thing, made out of wool, but thin (sort of like cardigan), when she gave it to me on Thanksgiving it would not even stay on...now I still cannot close it, but it looks ok. I am sitting in at work, and it reminds me of mom... (just some thoughs)
    So I'd like to say hello to everyone who recently joined. I got so wrapped up in my own depression this past week, that I barelly noticed anything and anyone. Welcome to the thread. I know someone asked about our stories, and actually over the last 2 months I've been trying to learn them, but yet I don't know everyones. Perhaps all will agree to share...Here is a brief summary of mine.
    Russian born (hence bad english grammar), lived in US for 12 years, professionally employed (sitting down job). Began on the first day of December. Results so far are 14 pound loss as of today (yes 1 pound for this week). Measurements taken on Dec.18, and yes I will be seeing how those changed this weekend. I like what I am trying to do, because I don't want to be obese. I enjoy writing and analysing (hmm it sort of comes as part of my daily job) because it gives me the sensation of learning...

Yesterday's report

A: Food (3) -Day 4 (Jan. 19) Done. Yesterday's and day before lunch was delish. Poached salmon and grilled chicken breast with salad. No dinner both days, instead a yougurt and a clementine around 4pm ~1.5-2 hours prior to my workout.
    B: H2O (3) - Day 4 (Jan. 19) Done, I started even craiving it more often and feeling thirsty
    C: Gym (3) - Day 4 (Jan. 19) Done, have been at the gym every day this week. Monday did 1.5 of my old routine. For two days after my legs have been sore. Yesterday did 100% of routine. I was so happy that I could. I took me 1.5 mo (30 days of excercise) to get used to it again. Felt sore while at the gym, and during eve, but ok today not like Tuesday. Another intersting thing.... I was working out 50% through my routine and felt how sweat was uzzing out of me...interesting feeling (sounds gross I know, but that's something to look forward to in the future).
    Red, Fish thank you for supporting me, i understand all of this, but I want to remember these details, because I want to adapt them now, for a healthier me...
  • ok i have to go back and read and catch up... but if there is a sign up sheet for chocolate covered vin diesel put me on the list !!!
  • Quote:
    Tay -- Good for you, down with two! Good going with the planning. As for cellulite, they say that it's basically a circulation problem, meaning the junk in your body is not getting flushed out, mostly due to lack of intense, sweating exercise and real heart-building stuff. It's not so much about fat. A lot of super skinny Japanese girls have. I just watched something on TV and this is what the doctors were saying. I get a lot of exercise and only have a little bit of it but it's only visible when I squeeze the skin a lot. I think I have regular exercise to thank. You can get in the habit too. It really does get easier.

still reading and catching up... but wanted to comment

so if i am understanding right... its not going to go away but with some work i can diminish the appearance??

that would be good... i know it has gotten worse over the years and since i put on all this weight

before it was only really noticeable in my theighs like when i was sitting and they were all smushed

but now i can just stand there and look in the mirror and not do anything and its BAM right in ur face...

i do have to say i might be wide and i migth be over weight but i have a great @$$, until i take my damn pants off and ya get a look at my nakid cottage cheese butt

what bothers me most tho is the areas around my knees its the whole knee area on the front of the leg and slightly above it now

before it used to just be the backs of my thighs

i really hope i can diminish it, cuase at this point (chaffing aside) i'm embarrased to even put on shorts or a skirt becuase my legs are so unsightly
  • Quote: Hey I am new here and I like your attitudes! I would like to join in on the challenge! I guess the protocall is to just pick one ane stick with it? Well here it is ( I have a few I would like to try).

Challenge #1- Drink- 135 oz of water ( is that to much or to little) I dont know?

Challenge #2- walk 30 min each day on my lunch break and 1 hour on the weekends.

I will try these for now, hopefully they help. I cannot wait to get to know you all..... introductions!!!!!!! Please message me and tell me a little about yourself..... what your challenges are/ have been doing. How much weight you have lost, what works for you and most importantly what was the turning point in your life that made you look at yourself and go...." this is out of control and something has to change !"

I know my turning point was looking at pictures of myself at my sister in laws wedding. She wears a size 5 and I looked like two of her put together in my size 22 pants!.... out of control!!!!!

tell me your stories!!!!!!
    i am still reading and catching up but wanted to reply to this

, Ms. woman with the long screen name... do ya have something shorter we can call ya maybe a first name?

its good to see you here !! glad you decided to join !! I am fairly new myself but loving it !!

i would say your water challenge is a little high for just starting out... unless you are used to drinking a good amount of water daily anyway... mine is 60oz but i am going from NO water at all to that 60oz, today is day 3 and i'm not done yet but doing well...

anyway i will PM you my introduction... you found a great place here i know you'll love it !!
  • Both the no wine and no sweets challenges on hiatus for a few days, maybe a bit of a stealth challenge, who knows. Day 18 (?) H2O challenge completed. Back to no after-dinner food last night, so I've given myself several pats on the back for that. And then taken one pat away because of the somewhat excessive Xmas cake incident...

Today was weigh-in at the diet doc's and to my surprise, only up .4 lb, and that in spite of heavier jeans this time. Then off to buy two pairs of pants on sale - one too small, but cheap and bought for motivation. And then decided to buy some packets of stevia powder for my cappucinos. Bad idea! It's not exactly horrible, but it has a bit of a licorice flavour that doesn't go with coffee... So it'll be back to Splenda next time. NO intention of quitting coffee, just keeping it under control.

Marble, you skinny-minny! It really is great to hear you sounding so up and positive and gung-ho. Just don't get too carried away or I'll have to hate you...

Red, more vet visits? I hope nothing serious? Has the hair grown back around the litle one's eye? Good for you for sticking with your challenges! I don't think I could do the writing everything down bit - it just makes me obsess about food even more. Pleased to hear you sounding up again.

NewYear, You're certainly welcome to join our merry crew, but be forewarned that you may be required to run half-naked down the street to prove you belong. (Just kidding. But we do attract the flakes here. Speaking only for myself, of course... )

Tay, I think cellulite is at least partly genetic. Some thin, fit people have a ton; some fat, unfit people have none. But if you're prone to it, it will definitely improve with weight loss and a firmer bod. And vice versa. There are, of course, "doctors" out there who will charge you an arm and a leg to make absolutely no permanent difference in it, as well as pricey creams and lotions. (now, how do I know so much about all this? could it be I've been taken in once or twice by snake oil merchants? Who, moi?)

Fish, it's great to have you back. The pics were impressive. That upgraded stateroom was sure worth the extra money! As for the masseuse, very unethical of her to pass judgement on your physique. I wonder if the cruise line sets a quota on product sales for their spa employees? Not that that's an excuse. I used to go for regular massage to help with my sciatica, but quit when I gained all this weight - too humiliating to have a supremely fit Ironman triathlete digging her little mutuant hands deep into the mounds of blubber... If I ever get to be as slim as you, though, I'll be back there in a flash to show off my buff bod!

Chai, the chicken rice soup does sound a little odd, but not unhealthy. How are the bad knees? Will you be able to play hockey this weekend, or will you be on the bench cheering/moping/cheering/moping....?

Shad, by now you'll be back from collecting DS and his GF, probably busy preparing that huge and yummy bbq. Even with the rain you've had, I'm about ready to trade weather with you. In the past week we've had rain, freezing rain, snow, gale force winds, freezing cold, a thaw that ruined the canal ice skating again.... Bon appétit, and have a lovely visit with the offspring.

ttfn
  • see i keep hearing that genetics thing over and over and over again and i cant agree with that

my mother has amazing legs... all of her weight is around her middle, shes got some hot sexy toothpick legs and even in her heavey middle section there is not a spot of cellulite anywhere on this woman i have ever seen

sure maybe it skiped out on her in genetics maybe it came from that loser #$%^&*()_ that helped create me, but based soley on mom i just dont buy it
  • Glad to be here!
    You all are so great, i am already starting to see personalities shine through!

Tayja- Ok...Ok... but my screen name had to mean something!! My real name is Josie..... no pussy cat jokes ...I mean it!!!!!!!!! Looks like you have had you ups and downs as far as weight loss goes.... and life! You are on the right track though.... cuz you are here!!! I agree with you on the cellulite issue, my mother, sister, cousins, aunts...(you name it) all have great legs and arms..... WHERE DID I GET @#$% in the genetics pool!!!! Well I used to have nice everything.... but then I had 2 kids.....120lbs later I am double the size I used to be and feeling like it!!!! I think the cellulite came with all of my ups and downs trying to lose the weight. I am glad you want to lose weight for your son.... I feel the same about my to!
    Keep up the good work!!!!!

carla49- thanks for the warm welcome, you sound like you are full of advice. Which diet are you on? Is it working. I think mine is working, it is just need to get motivated about working out!!! AAAAHHHHHHH

CBETA- Sounds like you are dont well on the working out part of the diet.... wait ... whats working out????? Your sweating a lot has a lot to do with your water intake... probably why you are craving it more. Good job... the more you flush your body like that the more toxins you release... its so good for you!

Everyone else- Cannot wait to meet you!!!!!
  • josie, no pussy cat jokes from me, i wouldnt have even thought of it if you hadnt mentioned it... but i cant promise anything for everyone else around there

i hear ya on having kids, i had a great pg and as i have mentioned lost weight the whole time... but i know when i lose all this weight i am going to need a tummy tuck... i think the rest of me will bounce back rather nicely, but my stomach is completly shreded there is no muscle tone left to it at all, it just hangs and jiggles

i used to be like what... i dunno do the math... 20pounds or so bigger then i am now before i had the baby and yeah i was big yeah i had a fat round stomach but it was firm and tight, and now it just jiggles like shaking a bowl of jello

just simply walking across the room and my stomach wiggles and jiggles all over the place

what i hate are the friends i have who have had like 3 kids and are still a size 2 with perfect bikini bodies and have never worked out a day in their life... yeah i know 4 of them, two of them have 3 kids each (at last count) and the other two each has 1 kid, and to look at them you would have NO idea at all they had EVER been pg
  • Just a quickie
    Day 4 NO BEER
    Day 9 exercise (I think)
    We 've adopted a kitty! He is a snowshoe siamese, about 4 mos old. He is getting neutered today and I'm picking him up in a few hours. My kids are busy making him toys and a scratching post. They are so excited! Me too!
  • Congrats on your new kitty Apple !! thats great !!

good job on your challenges also !!

i love kitties (tried to insert a kitty smilie from smilie central but it wont let me *pout* )
  • Ms. Tay told me I needed to get over here and join the fun! So here I am

Now, I'm not a chocoholic, but I AM a margarita mama.

My Goals are:

1) No added sugar to my food (ie. nekkid oatmeal, nekkid cereal) Now this is a 2 for me!

2) No caffeine..let's make this a 1--I've kind of been weaning myself off, so now I think I'm to the point where I don't automatically grab an iced tea

3) 30 situps in the morning...this one is a straight 21er. If I get in the habit of a.m. situps, I will add pm sit ups in 3 weeks.

I'll post some more later (I'm at work) but I wanted to stop in and say oh....and GO BRONCOS!
  • embarking on Day 4..
    Oh, no!! A Karla with a K? What to do? You see, we have a carla here too and she is a force to be reckoned with. Oh well, at least we do have a difference in letters. Welcome Karla, I'm afraid, however, that I, as a loyal Pittsburgher (displaced), cannot allow Bronco-cheering on the thread! Simply unacceptable! This is a MAJOR no-no. We have certain rules here and until those Steelers are safely in the Bowl we have to be careful. The only way I can allow cheering for the opposition is if I start taking bets! OK, ok, just kidding. Fans will be fans, won't they? So, a margarita mama, is it?!! We are going to have to start posting links to the AA sites here! You've taken on quite a challenge there, three in fact!! And wow, hey chai, more nakedness here!! Good luck and I hope to see lots of you here. Read back and get to know us all a bit better and do be sure to check out the rules in the first post, as it looks like you've already done. That's a toughie going for broke with the situps. Obviously, you're a woman of strength and courage! Hope you're with us for the long run!
  • Quote: Ms. Tay told me I needed to get over here and join the fun! So here I am

Now, I'm not a chocoholic, but I AM a margarita mama.

My Goals are:

1) No added sugar to my food (ie. nekkid oatmeal, nekkid cereal) Now this is a 2 for me!

2) No caffeine..let's make this a 1--I've kind of been weaning myself off, so now I think I'm to the point where I don't automatically grab an iced tea

3) 30 situps in the morning...this one is a straight 21er. If I get in the habit of a.m. situps, I will add pm sit ups in 3 weeks.

I'll post some more later (I'm at work) but I wanted to stop in and say oh....and GO BRONCOS!
    yeaaaa you made it over here
  • Quote:
    Tayja -- Working back in the posts here. You are a prolific one! Good! You've got to stop "hating" those people who seem to do nothing and yet don't blow up out of control. The killer to anything in life is comparison, unless you're just looking and going, I TOO am going to be there, WHATEVER it takes. We are all different. We with a tendency to put on fat are in fact the genetically superior ones. We would have survived the famines, the long hauls in search of food, the hiding-out in caves until the warring tribes passed us by. We are the strong! It's just that today's world is different and the weak are able to survive and look good and feel smug about it. Remember that and think of that if you have to think of anything. And don't go saying, I'd rather be one of the weak. Health is everything and a strong body is the basis of health. Just do the work if you want to look good in today's society. When I lived in India out in the boondocks I was a lot fatter than I am now and the village women would look at me admiringly and with awe and say how rich I must be!! I was a pauper in the West but not there. Anyhow, this is getting long. Just be prepared to do the work!! It takes a lot. Get tough with yourself. Don't wimp out.. You are the only one who has to know how much it takes for you to get where you are going to go, but you will feel so proud, so confident, so strong, that it will be worth every bit. Remember, NEVER give up!

As for the cellulite, do a google on the stuff and you'll come up with a lot. I wouldn't worry about genetics. Obviously, yours is NOT genetics so you can consider yourself lucky. If your mother had it, you'd more likely to sit back and whine, "it can't be helped!" It appears that diet and exercise are key to reducing the stuff. I am a vegetarian and eat a LOT Of fresh vegetables and fruit and fibrous beans and legumes, which apparently is good too for keeping cellulite at bay. You see, aren't you glad that it's just about work and eating right and moving that booty of yours!!

oh i dont hate them per se... it just aint fair is all, i'd like to smack them around a little and then go back to business as usual

as for the dreaded cellulite i do hope with some hard work i can diminish the appearance i know once ya get it you really cant make it go away but you can make it less noticeable so thats what i'm hoping for
  • Well, once I tell DH what I have set myself up for with sit ups, you can bet your bippy he'll be counting my situps with me every morning. He's quite supportive without being drill sargent about it.

And when my Broncos win by more than the 3 points they are favored by, I just might have enough energy to do a kazillion sit ups

Quote: Oh, no!! A Karla with a K? What to do? You see, we have a carla here too and she is a force to be reckoned with. Oh well, at least we do have a difference in letters. Welcome Karla, I'm afraid, however, that I, as a loyal Pittsburgher (displaced), cannot allow Bronco-cheering on the thread! No way! This is a MAJOR no-no. We have certain rules here and until those Steelers are safely in the Bowl we have to be careful. OK, ok, just kidding. Fans will be fans, won't they? A margarita mama!! We are going to have to start posting links to the AA sites here! You've taken on quite a challenge there, three in fact!! And wow, hey chai, more nakedness here!! Good luck and I hope to see lots of you here. Read back and get to know us all a bit better and do be sure to check out the rules in the first post, as it looks like you've already done. That's a toughie going for broke with the situps. Obviously, you're a woman of strength and courage! Hope you're with us for the long run!