"Every-Day" 21-Day Challenge -- There's strength in numbers!!

You're on Page 10 of 47
Go to
  • Day 5 NO BEER
    Have to restart the exercise, I fell asleep early last night.
    I'm about to strap on a jog-bra and burn up the pavement.
    I never got around to saying hello to the newbies! HELLO!
    The new cat is so adorable. He is handling 3 kids, 2 dogs and getting neutered all in one day quite well! I think he's about 6 mos old, not 4.
    Right now his name is Silas, but it changes often. I'll post pics probably tomorrow.
  • Hi Ladies (and Steeler fan )!

Hope everyone is doing great with their challenges today! (I just love me some carrot man!)

This morning I made some oatmeal.....and enjoyed it without the sugar that is usually piled on top. It was actually pretty tasty! The rest of my day doesn't contain any temptations as I have it written down.

Caffeine, none yet and situps--done! So far so good!

I don't think I told you much about myself yesterday. I'm thisclose to being 40, married and have two little boy cats, stepkids and grandchildren (courtesy of my oldest SD).

When I met my husband 5 1/2 years ago, I weighed right around 140 (I'm 5'6). I had just done 3 months on intense Fatkins and workouts and went from a size 12 to a size 8 (knowing that I would be meeting him IRL). I kept that way for half a year, then came my hysterectomy due to endometriosis. That really buggered things up and I threw all exercize and dietary awareness out the window.

Things went even more off the deepend when I was diagnosed with Lupus and fibromyalgia soon after the surgery. Steroids can really wreek havoc on your body! Several years go by and I slowly change my wardrobe--of course this had nothing to do with weight gain of course (yeah right). I was appalled to find myself in a size 18 slacks this past November. But not appalled enough to do anything about it. Until......(dramatic music please) The Picture.

This innocent picture that has been on the fridge hiding behind papers came unhid. I looked at it and realized the reality of what my body had become. Not a healthy sight, not a pretty sight. Right then and there I decided to take control of my life. I decided that with my husband loving carbs (he's naturally slim) Low-Carb would be more difficult to do, I don't do fish so the funky fish menus were out, WW is a bit too high maintenance for me--I'd get bored easily. I decided on calorie and fat counting. So far, it's been working really well for me! It's something I can control and something that I can do even eating out.

Bottom line...my goal is to be in the low 140s by our 3rd anniversary on July 13th. I'm pretty stubborn and determined, so with setting these mini-goals and adopting them into my lifestyle, I am looking forward to July!

I water and am now making sure I drink a glass/bottle 20 minutes or so before I have one of my mini meals.

So that's me!
  • Quote: Karla, IF your Broncos win, you HAVE to do a zillion situps for punishment!!

And that's one punishment I will be happy to do! Will you be able to get the game? At a decent hour?
  • today has been a rough day i am fighting to get my water in, pretty much chugging it right now as i type... got one bottle in and am working on the second and still have to do at least one more to get 60

but i slept in then we went to the store and then i took a nap with the baby so its been rough

i will get it tho... i might be floating and bloated and sick to my stomach before i am done but i'll get it
  • Day 4 complete did 45 min had to push like a son of a gun but dang it i did it!
  • day 4

calories -1268

1 hour circuit training
  • groundhogging a couple...
    Hi all. Sunday morning here. There is SO much snow (for Tokyo) on the ground. Yuck, yuck, yuck, though it is kind of pretty. This means riding is probably out till who knows when. Nothing stuck down in the south of the city where the office is, but when I got home late last night (more on that later) there was so much snow up here in the north. I figured it would be so because there was already a lot in the morning. Luckily, no trains were down as I only had to go a couple stops out of the city center. When you go further out the trains are stopped and delayed from snow. They rarely get snow in Tokyo and so everything is stalled.

Well, yesterday was a wash on two of the challenges, the journal and the exercise. I will take a pause day on those. Caffeine was okay and I didn't even have tea in the afternoon. I had planned on going to the gym after work or going straight home to pay the vet but neither plan materialized as I was sidetracked by a coworker and the call of the Saturday night special on pints at the local watering hole. Ah well, I had turned down an invite with my favorite work buddy beer mate the night before due to lack of funds, so I was feeling deprived. The Saturday night thing is so cheap it's excusable. Still, even that will have to be kept to a minimum. The after-hours time with coworkers is what I consider pretty essential for info gathering and solidarity. We discuss a lot about work and it's really our only hold on sanity in what is a pretty insane and demoralizing atmosphere these days. Our desk, the foreign news desk, is I think the best desk at the paper because we talk, we criticize, we argue and we get to know each other personally. Other desks are full of silence, backstabbing and a general lack of communication. Foreign desk is probably the only desk with some real journalists still not wanting to capitulate. Our motto: A desk that drinks together stays together!

freaky -- Way to go!! That extra pushing is what separates the women from the girls!! Keep it up! I'm sorry to hear about the problems with your "guy best friend" and "hetro life partner"...this is not one in the same person?...a little confused on the hetro and she and everything... in any case, I hope things get better for you. You are doing great with the exercise and I'm, though it sounds a bit odd for me to be saying as I'm not your mother, real proud of you.

Tay -- Did you get your water in? I hope so. Gotta laugh at you posting "half-naked photos" and then deleting them. Yeah, I would keep things off the Net waves. There are a lot of wackos out there and I know they even lurk around here at times. One time we had some absolutely awful photos blasted onto the thread. It was so gross. A quick note to the moderators and they got it off. Some nutcase.

Oh, and your question as to how I "get to go" to all these exotic places...I don't get to go anywhere. I just go, plan to go and follow through. I was always the wanderlust type. It's in the blood as both my grandfathers were like that. I've been stuck in Japan for decades now mostly due to animal responsibilities, but I would really love to be wandering more. You can do it too, you know, it just takes a bit of planning, saving your money and/or a good shot of curiosity. I am good at foreign languages although I would not say that is a prerequisite. I lot of people I meet abroad do not speak the language but get along with English just fine, sure, in a limited way, but fine enough. Have you ever been out of the States? Have you ever studied any foreign languages?

curly -- Just saw your post. You're doing so well. Getting to the gym all the time and all. You didn't mention...has the scale shown any progress or do your clothes fit looser? How is your chai-boy these days?

Karla -- No, I won't be able to see the game. I don't have any sort of cable. Kickoff would be at 5 a.m. and I'll probably be up and could find some updates on the Net. It'll probably be over by the time I go into work so I'll be able to read all the stories there that come in over the wire. Of course, we'll be on opposite ends of the emotional spectrum, depending on the outcome, but let's just hope it's a good game, meaning a real show of skill and not some trouncing! Fair enough?

Thanks for the background info on you. Good going on the naked oatmeal. I am cooking mine as I type. I put raisins, cranberries and today some apple in mine and that all makes it nice and sweet. I only recently started adding a touch of honey on top but have run out so there's none today. I like to eat raw honey only but can't buy it here. Keep forgetting to ask my sister to send me some in a CARE package. I just got one of those from her this morning and, gads!, there is licorice in it. My absolute favorite and a flavor that the entire nation of Japanese seems to hate, thus it is very hard to find here. Even the Jelly Belly store has the licorice hidden away on the bottom shelf.

Love your story with musical accompaniment at key moments. I could hear the Jaws music as that picture came unhid! Now I see why you asked us about our such moments, turning points. I can't say I ever had one, not that I realize. Weight comes and goes with me with it coming more often than going. Being in the 140s by July entails how much weight loss? I hope you can do it. I'm sure you can. Just take it easy to avoid rebound, ok?

Apple -- How'd that pavement burning go? Too bad on the exercise challenge but way to go on the beer!! I had a few too many last night. Really, these days, any is too many, both financially and healthwise. It has to be something really special to make me want to feel like dogmeat the next day. Glad to hear the kitten is holding his own. I'm glad to hear he's older than you thought too because getting them neutered too young is not a good idea. In male cats it can lead to them getting urinary blockage. We had a cat die from that because we didn't know the warning signs. Please be careful. I can tell you more if you need to know.

chai -- What is PCOS? I could google it but thought I'd ask. Sorry about those knees. Sure hope you can get to play though. Damn! Braces?! You better be careful you don't do some real permanent damage. It's not worth it, you know. Glad to hear about you and your beau getting on a better keel together. I do know how money can threaten or kill a relationship. It's probably the reason I am kind of content with not having anyone in my life right now because I know my situation would be a lot to take for anyone and not fair to the relationship. Still....it would be nice I suppose to have the added motivation to get that fab bod I still have my heart set on.

tim -- Oh, heh there! Welcome to our thread. Your post kind of got lost in there. I hope to hear more from you. So many people just pop in and then you never hear from them again. You're gonna have to get in here regularly to stick to your third challenge, right?!

Fish -- Actually, now that you describe Josie I do remember the comic strip. That was way back. Not being in the States I miss most of the popular culture, unless I see some reruns years later here or catch a movie on video. I never go to the theater, too expensive. That is true about the Filipinos being blunt. I rather enjoy it..like the racehorse trainers and bodybuilders...and I know they don't mean to hurt you, but it's not really something you want to hear from a total stranger, is it? And certainly not when you're lying there mostly naked with them giving you a massage. I guess to the masseuses you all just become just another body. They forget you have feelings and sensitivities and yes, they really should be tactful. Did you get that "dutiful slog" in to the gym? I hope so!

Sushi -- Good going on all the challenges! I wouldn't worry about the muscular thighs. I'd say it's not the muscle that is the problem, just the lack of balance. Biking is fine, but add some other leg exercises. Are you going to a gym or working out a home?

Ok, gotta get a move on it. carla, Shad, where are you? Others who haven't been posting? Come in and tell us how you're doing!
  • You know, I just realized that I had a super long post yesterday and I KNOW I posted it and now it's gone. Maybe I deleted it accidentally at some point. Hmmm...If I can find it I'll post it here again...very strange.....
  • Well, I must have deleted it from my computer as well. Darn! It was real long. I think Tay even had quoted part of it. Oh well, lost forever except in bits. Maybe one of you got it in an email notification yesterday. If so, please cut and paste it here. Thanks!
  • Quote:
    Tay -- Did you get your water in? I hope so. Gotta laugh at you posting "half-naked photos" and then deleting them. Yeah, I would keep things off the Net waves. There are a lot of wackos out there and I know they even lurk around here at times. One time we had some absolutely awful photos blasted onto the thread. It was so gross. A quick note to the moderators and they got it off. Some nutcase.

Oh, and your question as to how I "get to go" to all these exotic places...I don't get to go anywhere. I just go, plan to go and follow through. I was always the wanderlust type. It's in the blood as both my grandfathers were like that. I've been stuck in Japan for decades now mostly due to animal responsibilities, but I would really love to be wandering more. You can do it too, you know, it just takes a bit of planning, saving your money and/or a good shot of curiosity. I am good at foreign languages although I would not say that is a prerequisite. I lot of people I meet abroad do not speak the language but get along with English just fine, sure, in a limited way, but fine enough. Have you ever been out of the States? Have you ever studied any foreign languages?
    working on the water... almost done...

i would like to maybe move to the netherlands or australia one day, but who knows

i wont be going anywhere anytime soon my life is such a mess right now plus i have my little man to think about and all

i been to canada a couple of times when i was little but the last time i was like 6 maybe so ya know

i did take 4 years of spanish in highschool but i never actualy learned it, cuase i didnt use it outside of the class room, i can more or less count to ten i can say hi how are you i can answer if sumone says hi how are you i can ask if they speak english and i think i can ask where the bathroom is oh and i can tell sumone to go to ****

thats about it for foriegn language
  • Day #4 Complete !!!
  • 'nother day down!!
    Well, already going on 8 p.m. here. I did get to ride after all as there was no snow up where the club was. I couldn't believe it, clomping along in boots that, in Tokyo, I was slipping on ice in. I thought for sure there'd be twice as much snow out there, but nothing! Well, anyhow. I'm wrapping up Day 4 on the crunch and journaling (as soon as I get it done) and Day 5 on caffeine. I just did the crunches.

Since I lost that post I've gone back and seen who I missed, or, more accurately, who was in that lost post and not afterward. I especially felt bad about my welcome to "new" having gotten lost...

New -- So sorry about the lost post. Hope you don't think I was ignoring you! I had given you a big welcome and all. But, I'll say it again. Welcome!! Hope we see more of you around here and you don't fizzle and disappear. Are you still with us?!

marble -- Hi there. That is amazing that your jeans are falling off right out of the dryer. We all know that that is the toughest of tests! Glad to hear you're upping the intensity of your workout. I think that will definitely help rev up the weight loss. Good luck and power to you!

Phys -- How's it going? Did you say you were going to be gone a bit, or was that someone else? How's the journaling going?

CBETA -- You too, what's up? Kind of quiet from you. I hadn't know you were depressed really. You didn't sound it so much. Guess I'm learning your style more now though. You sound like you're really making some excellent progress, with everything, awareness of food and more things around you and how they relate to your eating and weight. Analysis is good, just don't let it become too much. Remember, there is paralysis through analysis, something I am often a victim of. There's a time to reflect and a time to clear your head before all the thoughts get you down. Unless you're one of those people who like to feel depressed, be careful!

Tayja -- Bravo on wrapping up Day 4!!

carla -- How are you doing? Hope you don't take off your challenges too long. The water one is almost done, isn't it? Little white cat is rolling around on the computer table. Nozomi is on top of the computer. The white one is so sweet, probably really feeling like playing for the first time since kittenhood. The vet visit the other night was for two of the others, Nozomi and Shachi. Finally got them vaccinated. It all just costs too much. Shachi had to get his monthly gum shot and Nozomi is congested badly again. After Tetchan (one I had brought back to life after finding him after being hit by a car about three weeks ago) died last year around this time and I blame myself for not having gotten him to the vet earlier, I didn't want Nozomi or any of them to go for the same reason. I don't really know what killed Tetsu but...I miss him. He was the sweetest thing, a big red tabby. The hair around the white cat's eye has largely grown back, but her belly was shaved for spaying and that hairis still very sort. Also, I accidentally cut her whiskers short on one side when I was cutting tar or something out of the fur on her face so that is short. Also, I had to cut tar out of her tail so there are short spots there. I so wish she had two good eyes. The other eye is so beautiful to me. I'm just not used to a cat with blue eyes. I had a white cat when I first came to Japan, but I can't remember if his eyes were blue or not. I think they may have been but maybe not this blue...or maybe there weren't. Anyhow, it's such a shame. It still makes me sick to think that eye was lost and puts me near or in tears every time I think of it. Sigh.

• Hi - I am here just so busy at the moment. Family is taking a lot of my time right now. But as of tomorrow, DS1 + girlfriend are going home, DS2 is taking time away from his g/f. DB2 is behaving himself and DB1 hasn't been heard of for some time, so I guess I will have to get in touch to see how he is going.
    It's been so long since I posted properly that I forget what day I am on. Better go back and check.

Yesterday was day 15 on my food and water challenges. Due to yesterdays bbq, food just scraped in and water was okay.
    Today was day 16. I'm back on track and even though it is now 2247 I am finishing up my last bottle of water. I've been out on my Sunday night 'date' with the DB2 and should be in bed because I have to get up early to take the visitors to the airport for a 6.30 flight. Aaaah well they are not home yet so a little more time will be okay!

Welcome to all our new friends on the thread. Sounds like we are all getting very active again. I had to go back to page 4 to check on my last entry. Seems you have been very busy over the weekend.

Gotta go check on my other threads. Catch you all around the challenges.
  • Quote: Well, already going on 8 p.m. here. I did get to ride after all as there was no snow up where the club was. I couldn't believe it, clomping along in boots that, in Tokyo, I was slipping on ice in. I thought for sure there'd be twice as much snow out there, but nothing! Well, anyhow. I'm wrapping up Day 4 on the crunch and journaling (as soon as I get it done) and Day 5 on caffeine. I just did the crunches.

Since I lost that post I've gone back and seen who I missed, or, more accurately, who was in that lost post and not afterward. I especially felt bad about my welcome to "new" having gotten lost...

woohooo for completeing day 4 and 5 on your challenges !!

and yeaaa for going riding... i am assuming here we are talking horses?? i've always wanted to ride horsies but never had the change... its on my to-do list with my little man once i lose this weight and can save up the money to take us somewhere, probably a couple more years money wise and so hes really big enough but yep its on my list
  • YAWN!!! Hi everybody.....

Day #10----40 mins. of wts. cardio
    Day#11------26 mins. of wts. cardio

no change of numbers on the evil scale, but I can see a difference in my waist and mid-section.