Hamburger Helper w/ ground turkey & constipation

• Just went to WI, down 3 pounds since Monday! (?) Down to 146. I am extremely constipated though which I have been struggling with my whole life. The counselors tell me to drink lots of water, hot lemon water, exercise...nothing works. Not even laxatives anymore. Any advice?

If I ate a tiny bit (like 1/3 cup) of Hamburger Helpre made with Ground Turkey can I count that as a carb craver or should I just STAY AWAY?
  • laura
    First off congrats on being down 3 lbs!!!!
    I dont know of any other tricks for the constipation sorry I cant help you there. As for the hamburger helper i would just stay away from it. The two main things that would concern me are the noddles and/or rice and then the seasoning packet you dont really know what is in it but i would imagine the sodium is out the roof. If you want you could try it and see if it affects you but if i were me i would make my own type of hamburger helper with wheat noodles and your own seasonings. but thats my 2 cents worth....
  • congrats on being down!!!
    Your title for the thread confused me a little
    But i would say that the hamburger helper is probably full of sodium.
    1/2 a baked apple can sometimes help with constipation. And don't forget most normal laxatives (ex-lax and the like) have sodium in them too and will casue a gain for a while after taking them ( i found that out the hard way) If you have been havign the problem for a while, I woudl say to talk to your doctor about a prescriptive medicine.
  • Thanks, Britty! And thanks Shennie! Shennie I had no idea laxatives had sodium in them. I have been taking them for the past month or so, maybe that is why the scale hasn't been moving (?) I have a doctor appointment on Jan. 20 to help solve this "problem" once and for all! I think I will try the warm apple tonight.
  • Try the Smooth Move tea. It will get you going!
  • I found that 3/4 cup of all bran helps me stay regular. I mix it with yogurt every day to make sure things run smooth. Good luck!
  • Are you getting your fat serving in? If so try sticking to the more "natural" fats like butter and not diet margerine, oilve oil on a piece of toast is also good. These natural fats keep your bowels lubricated. It is common for many to be a bit constipated for the first few days or even two weeks especially if you had a much higher fat diet before starting the program.
  • I have had the same problem my whole life....Going only once or twice a week is pretty normal for me...If I eat all bran with extra fiber I will go every day. It takes a few days to build up but then it will work......I have had IBS forever
  • Gymgurl- I have IBS too. It is a real pain in the...well you know what I mean. If I drink a strong cup of coffee every morning, take my efa's, and stay away from pop I do great. Otherwise, I can get into real trouble.
  • A strong cup of coffe and a banana does it for me. Apples are really helpful as well. If a have a baked apple for dessert, results are guaranteed in the morning!
  • Okay this is really weird, but the smell of melaleuca oil sends me running for the potty. I don't have a clue why that is, but just a big whiff, and viola!
  • Quote: Gymgurl- I have IBS too. It is a real pain in the...well you know what I mean. If I drink a strong cup of coffee every morning, take my efa's, and stay away from pop I do great. Otherwise, I can get into real trouble.

I have to eat all bran everyday and I am fine...I have ben dying the past two days so I bought thier tea..which I know I can get 1/2 the price at the health food store.....still nothing
  • coffee
    Quote: A strong cup of coffe and a banana does it for me. Apples are really helpful as well. If a have a baked apple for dessert, results are guaranteed in the morning!
    I am a medical assistant and when i was in school we were told that a strong cup of coffee acts as a natural laxative. I was eating 2 la lite bars but they suggested to use one of the powders (less sugar) i use the vanilla cafe au lati and it has helped me. just my 2 cents.