Starting Over Again

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Hello ladies. I'm 58 years old and am on my own. I have about 100 pounds to lose to reach that magic "normal" number in the sky, but have realistically set 68 pounds as my goal. I could sure use some help and encouragement as I have walked this path many times before with my faithful yo-yo! It seems that I lose 30 or 40 pounds, start to feel better about my self image and then get really lazy and back it all comes. At least this time I caught it before it exceeded my last "all time high". Can anyone else relate to this?
  • GypsieLady:

We're both singing from the same hymnal, on the same page. I have to get back into the diet swing, this time forever. I have recently been diagnosed with diabetes and have been told to lose or else. I have 46 pounds to lose but it is a lot because I am only 5'1" tall.

I have been a yo-yo dieter, mostly with Weight Watchers. I have been at goal or near goal twice in the past 20 years and have spent months and months attending meetings and just maintaining my weight. I am considering using WW's online program. The Registered Dietition assigned to me said to continue counting calories and carbs (1600 cal.s and 200 carbs. per day). That seems to be easiest for me but I blow it so many days that I'm not losing or gaining.

What method of weight loss are you using?

Best wishes for a successful weekend.
  • Hello Renya. Thanks for the post. It is so nice to know that I am not alone in this struggle. I am doing WW at home. I have kept all of the literature from the program which I attended as recently as last fall. That didn't last very long, believe me. A friend of mine does it online and loves it, but I think that I can do it on my own with support from 3FC. Good luck to you and have a great weekend as well.
  • Hi Gypsiladie & Renya.. I'm new here too... I picked the name Sparkels because my regular screen name was too short... & I just LOVE Sparkels!!!)

My a lot of my friends call me MJ. I'm married & have 3 grown children... all live out of state.

I'm still feeling my way around the site. I am doing WW at home also. I'd done WWs so many times in my life... & I don't think I EVER made goal... (I work over 46 hours a week... & don't know of a meeting close to me... )

I've always been a yo-yo dieter... up & down & up & down... but for the last few years it went up-up-up!!!

I would love to lose 100 pounds... but my MAIN goal is to get healthy.

Living in KatrinaLand (The OTHER 3rd world country)... makes eating & getting healthy even more difficult, because I stress eat. *The stories I could tell... but that's for another day & time!

I found this lovely site while researching the National Weight Loss Challenge...

I'm takin babysteps here people... but I hope we can hold each other up & actually get to goal!!!!

Looking forward to getting to know y'all a lot better!!!

Take care... MJ
  • Hi Sparkles! What a great name! Welcome to the group. We are all taking baby steps along with you, but do you know what? All of those steps together will go the distance and we will get there. Yesterday, I slipped badly and fell on my face into a dish of those small croissants. I did it...it's over and today I am so totally on track it isn't funny. No bruises..no looking back, just one day at a time. Keep in touch. We can do it together.
  • gypsyladie, I can definitely relate to the Yo-Yo thing. I am only 4'11" and every pound on me is like two to others. I have been as high as 195 and my first time going thru WW I got to 118 but I honestly know I will never get there. I need to be realistic. In 2004 I was able to get to 138 and felt reallly good there so that is my goal for this year and if I can get there relatively easy I will shoot for 132. For right now I just want to see 148 which is where I was in October before our last cruise.

I know with the help of all of you we can do it.
  • let me try again, hi everyone, so glad l have found this website joined this week. l am 52 4.11 and at the highest my weight has ever been. Don't know if going through the change has anything to do with it, have been under a lot of stress also, but am committed to getting back on track and lose this weight. So glad to find that l am not alone. l plan on joining WW, as l did the low carb thing and all the other diets out there and always gained back what l lost and some. lots of luck to everyone
  • Hey guys! I'm new also, just joined yesterday. Sounds like you all seem to be living my life. I lost 60 pounds last year on Atkins, but I have gained most of it back. I have this follow through problem. When I start to do really well, I seem to go back to my old eating habits and shazaam the weight comes back.
    I vow to do it and keep it off this time. So far I have no health issues with my weight, although I am extremely anemic that is from my heavy periods and not the weight. I hope we can all be an inspiration to each other and supportive in our goals. It was really nice "stumbling" onto this site and finding all of you.
  • a little more
    Sorry, I am having problems navigating this site. I couldn't find the place to subscribe to the forum. I don't want to lose all of you.
    I have now found it and will not hold you up any longer.
    Thanks!
  • Today l join WW and am really looking forward to it, weighed this morning have lost 2lb, thats a start right? Am really determined to lose all this excess and get healthy again. l have to so l can be around for my adopted 7year old granddaughter. And besides summer on the river will be a whole lot better with some lbs gone?l do believe l can do it, this time around and finding this website has been a blessing. l have not been sleeping real well so have to get the exercise in check and get a schedule going, l think it will help me. Ladies have a great day and keep positive.
  • I think it's great that this group is growing... I feel the enthusiasm & the chemistry.

Some days are good, some days are not so good. Today I battled headhunger.

I think I ate well this week. But stress plays a big part of my overeating... not just physical hunger.

After eating dinner... (I made a great gumbo...) I put it away in serving sized ziplocks... to take out when I wanted it...

I had a wonderful mug of steaming coffee with lite cool whip... then I brushed my teeth & told myself I was done for the evening. (I really didn't WANT it to be done... I could have eaten a whole lot more...) But I didn't & I'm really pleased with myself. I won the argument with my head hunger!

YEA!!!

Hope everyone had a wonderful day... MJ
  • Right there with you girls!
    Right there with you girls. Weighing in at 218 just the other day and a wedding dress to get into in 7 months. So, a new start, a new year.
    Good luck everyone.

Christine
  • Oh Christine... a WEDDING!!! How exciting... !!!

My son got married in June... & it was just fabulous!!!

I can't wait... We'll be right behind you on this... even if we can only participate virtually!!!!!!

Good luck Girl... I know you can do this!!!
    We want PICTURES!!! You will do this!!!
  • Joined WW on Tuesday, so far so good slowly getting into it and learning how to utilize the points. Christine how nice, l know you can do it and you will look stunning. Sparkel good for you, l know were you are coming from with the stress, it makes it really tough. You made gumbo (yum) nothing more appetising than a bowl of gumbo and hard to just have one. l have a birthday party to go to today and it is going to be tough. l am sure there will be a ton of barbecue and oysters and beer. This will be a test of my willpower here. wish me luck in staying within my limits Happy day everyone, we can do it
  • Bethbland... I know how fearful birthday parties can be... when we are on a "fresh" diet plan...

But that's the beauty of WW... with the flex points... Saving some points for a small slice of cake will help... I do know how easy it is to graze yourself into oblivian with all the "party" food... ya just go into zombie mode & inhale everything not nailed down...

Figure out what you are going to eat & then figure out the points BEFORE you go....

Hey... bring a veggie plate with low fat ranch dip... then you can have something you can eat... & you will appear helpful!!!

Good luck girlie... & Happy Birthday to the Birthday person!!!! MJ