Salsa Verde Herdez

• I'm not sure if they have this everywhere or just CA?? But as I'm cleaning out my pantry and reading labels to see what I can use in my new 2006 SB life (and lots of stuff is going by the wayside, yikes!) I find my beloved Salsa Herdez

Ingredients: tomatillos, onions, serrano peppers, salt and cilantro

So that's OK right?? It's all veggie....

You can dump this stuff in the crockpot with some boneless chicken and in a few hours you just add a little sour cream (L/F and prob even N/F works!) and there you are, chicken verde! No tortillas though....but you could have it with some black beans and salad, it would be good!

Feliz ano nuevo a todas!
  • Sounds good! In P2 you can add the tortillas. I just bought some whole wheat garlic and herb tortillas last week at Krogers. Mmmmmm they were good. I like to roll up deli meat and tons of lettuce and dip it into about 1 TBSP of Newman's Own Lighten Up Ginger-Soy dressing. Yummy! It has "sugar" listed in the ingrediants but it only has 18 calories perTBSP (all I use at a time-it's strong!) So my guess is that it can't have much at all! I don't know if that's bad or not, but I have to have dressing! Hehehe
  • Tortillas are in my future? YAYYY! I haven't even gotten to reading beyond the infamous Phase One!

Well that's good! It's kinda sad because I decided to rearrange my my pantry so that the stuff I can use on Phase One is all on one shelf, and all those other shelves are getting awfully crowded! Buh-bye pasta, bye rice, bye mushroom soup, bye Top Ramen, bye Cheerios, bye oatmeal....etc etc and so on, is how it's going. Well maybe I can meet up with some of them on a smaller scale in future phases....
  • Salsa is fine as long as it's no sugar added. You may want to watch the sodium, too - a lot of canned foods are high in sodium.

In phase 2, you get to reintroduce whole grains into your diet. Heavily processed foods like white flour should be a thing of the past, however (except for the occasional thing, like a teensy piece of birthday cake or something like that). It's pretty flexible; most of the "OP foods" and rules we talk about are for on a daily basis - treats are allowed, as long as you don't go overboard, and you can always go back to phase 1 when you need to "re-de-tox" yourself.
  • I don't think I will miss the white carb type foods, except in 2 forms: super crusty sourdough rolls and pasta! However, seeing as they have proven to be false friends who, behind my back, have transformed my butt into a barely recognizable monster onto which one could successfully project a wide-screen movie, I'm done with the lot of them! LOL....out, out, out!
  • Actually, sourdough is still okay (though whole wheat sourdough is better) - it's acidic, which makes up for it being white flour. If it triggers cravings in you, though, best to avoid it!
  • True HKO!... and K8, you can have small portions of Whole Wheat Pasta... it's not bad at all!
  • Well that's good, cuz I love WW pasta and my salsa verde is looking a little lonely sitting there with only a couple of cans of beans to keep it company on m "OP" pantry shelf.

Will have to go out and buy them some little friends to play with tomorrow, LOL...
  • True homemade is always best, if you can find decent tomatillos in the winter -- I don't have much luck with that, usually use the Herdez off-season, but I really like it!
  • I've moved the Salsa Verde Recipe into its own thread in Miscellaneous Phase I in Recipes. Recipes frequently get lost if posted within a thread.
  • That crockpot chicken recipe sounds yummy! One of the purchases I'm making when I get home is a crockpot and a waffle iron. The waffle iron for the mock belgian waffles and the crockpot because it's time I grew up and cooked with a crockpot !! Plus there are so many cool SBD friendly recipes you can make with them.