Anyone over 50 starting AGAIN?!?!?!

You're on Page 4 of 47
Go to
  • I didn't do quite as well eating out but I went to a local place that I hadn't been to before and I didn't know their menu. I ordered something that was close to acceptable and just ate a little of the tortilla that surrounded the steak and eggs (which are allowed) so it wasn't terrible. I got a little off of the plan today too when I went to have lunch at someone's home ... no choice there. They were trying to be thoughtful but they were already into Phase II of South Beach and I was still in Phase I. Oh, well ... I think I will just have to begin again today and do another two weeks from now. I don't know whether two days of "substitution" is appropriate.

I've been looking at the Sonoma Diet and I think I may go check out the book. Jill, you're on it ... and it sounds like you're making it work. Three pounds since MOnday sounds pretty great. Congratulations!
  • Eating out
    Hi Ladies!

Jill.. I didn't know that you could look up Olive Garden on the net. I'll be doing that tonight since my better half and I will be eating lunch there tomorrow. Since starting Weight Watchers yesterday, I have loss 2lbs and that's with my clothes and shoes on. Yippie!!!! When I left home this morning, I had alrready decide that I was going to have a Grilled Chicken salad at McDonald, and I stayed with the plan. So far no cheating.
    Checking out the buffet line is a great idea. I had made my mind up to just stay clear of those places, because I always go in with good intentions, but the food or the little devil whispering in my ear take over. But, hey! the fries and burgers were calling today and I survived! I have also cut out all diet soda's, probably why I have had a headache today, no caffine. But it has help me not crave sweets so much. Well I'm off to check out the Garden's web. Have a good evening.
    Cheryl
  • Hi, I would have thought that I would have learned by the age of 51 almost 52 how to keep the weight off. I am back up to 220. I have got to do something different. My pastor said that only fools keep doing the same things over and over again and expect change. I have dieted and it just doesn't work. I need head and heart change. I would like to be part of the group. New Year, New Start and a New me.
  • Hi Breitlady!

Glad you joined us!

We're all gonna lose the Fatty Fat Fat this year...I JUST KNOW IT!

2006 is gonna be the year of the 50-Chicks!
  • Hi ladies. May I join in the group? I am 58 years old and have carried my yo-yo with me through every diet in the book. I have close to 100 pounds to lose to reach that "normal" weight for my height and age, but have more realistically chosen a 68 pound loss as my goal. Eating out is not so much a problem for me. Eating in seems to be my worst nightmare. Although I have no "junk" in the house, I still find myself looking for something to snack on in the evening. Will I never learn?
  • Hi Gypsy!

Yep...please join us! For me, the more people I "feel accountable to" the better I will do. Like you, I feel like this might be my last chance to lose.

LET'S DO IT, LADIES!!! (oooops....are there any men here??) If, so.....ditto, Guys!
  • Where do you all find the cool "welcome" signs. I want to say it too but my text will have to do ... WELCOME! (I'm not so good with the technological side of all this! I'm lucky to have figured out how to start it ... when they "moved" me from the "buddy area" I thought I'd never find you all. But I did!

ANyway, welcome ... I don't know how many that makes for us ... maybe 12 - 13 but who cares?? We're just happy to have you with us on the journey and know that you are joined by people from all over the world who feel the same thing. And are committing to making life different for the last half of our lives than they have been for the first half! Let's hope and pray toward that end ... we don't want to be repeating the same old things over and over again. We know, now, that it doesn't work!

I do think there was a man involved ... I think in Kentucky ... but I haven't seen anything from him in a while. Anyway, it doesn't matter ... male or female we have a chance to turn things around and we will ... together.

I had some glitches in my diet plan the last couple of days with eating out but I'm committed to work through them. I appreciate so much the tips from you all ... I am not a good planner and that seems to be a major key to success in all of this.

Blessings today as you strive to be all that God created you to be!
  • Quote: Where do you all find the cool "welcome" signs. I want to say it too but my text will have to do ... WELCOME! (I'm not so good with the technological side of all this! I'm lucky to have figured out how to start it ...
    Lilly....when you're replying, just click on "More" where the smilies are and it will take you to pages & pages of them. You just click on the one you want and it will go wherever your curser is at the time.
  • Have you heard of this great web site?
    to all the new posters!

This forum is giving me something to look forward to. It's nice being in such good company with all of you who have the same struggles and goals as I.

I am the world's worst (or best!) yo-yo dieter. I can really lose weight well, and gain it back just as well! So far since Monday I have lost 4 pounds; but I always lose a lot of water the first week.

I wanted to tell you all about this great web site in case you haven't heard of it. It's hungrygirl.com. She has great tips and restaurant reviews, and tells about new foods she's tried that are good, like vitalicious muffins. I buy those online and they are great! High fiber, low calorie and packed with vitamins. They are expensive, because you have to buy 12 at a time, but no more so than buying a muffin at starbucks or somewhere like that. If you want to check them out just go to vitalicious.com

Hungry Girl is featured in "Looking Good" magazine which I also recommend; I like to read the success stories.

I should get paid for all these plugs I'm giving! But websites, magazines, and good foods like those muffins are all motivators for me.
  • Thanks For The Support
    I think I have found my group FINALLY. It is great to know that I don't have to wait a week to get my support fix. Having ladies/men that can relate age wise is also nice. It is one thing to be 20 having to lose weight but since I turned 50 it has become much harder----My body is rebelling, trying to fall a part. I went out and got a pedometer. It keeps reminding me to stay off my behind by telling me how far I have walked, calories, etc. My husband and the one son I still have home checks up on my progress also. Another incentive. They aren't really expensive. Might want to try one out if you haven't already done so. I have been trying to cut out the high fat, high sugar, high calorie foods. I am not really following any certain kind of program. I think they are all basically a like---find a way to cut calories weather protein, carbs, fruit, vegees. Anyway, thanks for all the help
  • Welcome
    Welcome Britlay and Gypsyladie!!! Always room for more and this is a fantastic group. I joined a couple days ago and just wish I would of found this site years ago. Everyone is so good about keeping each other motivated and that's what we all need. I have set mini goals for how much FAT will be gone on Valentines Day, Easter, my Birthday(53), and then Dec 27th, I will have 102 pounds gone or more. Today I exercised to Richard Simmons and was amazed that I was able to do 20 minutes! It seems to get easier each day I work out and I noticed I'm not so winded when I climb the stairs in our house.
    Just remember to take each day as it comes, do your best to stay on what ever program you are following. If you fail, don't beat yourself up. Just start over the next day and exercise a little longer. WE will all achive the goals we have set for ourselves with the support we are giving each other.
    Time for me to feed my family.
    Till later,
    Cheryl
  • Hi all! My friend Jill (flsunbakd) told me about this thread after I told her about this site! No THIS thread is HOME!!

I'm 51-1/2, and have battled my weight for at least the last 25 years. Four years ago, through exercise and the 40-30-30 plan (similar to the zone), I was slim for the first time in ages. Alas, that is just a distant memory now. That weight came back on, and last year I dropped enough to be "average." You know where this is going...yep, right back up again!

Like Jill, I feel that this is the last time to really lose it and have it stay lost. On the Zone-type diet I felt GREAT! Full of energy, able to handle anything and everything that came my way. Unfortunately, I forgot what that felt like and chose to pig out instead of bliss out. As the menopause goddess looms in the distance, I know that it will not be as easy to drop the weight as it once was, so this is IT! I'm tired of the roller coaster and I want to get off.

Looking forward to sharing support, encouragement, and humor with all of you.

As Jill said, 2006 will indeed be the year of the 50s chicks!!

Laurie
  • Welcome Laurie! Glad to have another chick join the group. Since starting Weight Watchers on Wednesday, I have lost 4 lbs. I have really surprised myself by not cheating so far. Usually when I start a diet, I'm good for about 1 day. I have decided that this is not a diet, but a life change. Diets do not work.

Never made it to the Olive Garden today, instead my better half and I had lunch at Hu Hut Mongolian BBQ because I could load my bowl up with lost of good for you veggies. Oh was my mouth watering for the taste of stir fry. Unfortunly the grill was not cleaned well, so my food had a burnt taste. YUCK!!!! Should of went to Olive Garden, should of went to Olive Garden. Next month for sure.

Have a good night.
  • Great job Cheryl!
    Congrats on the 4 pound weight loss. You're getting off to a great start!

I hope we can all stay motivated as the year progresses. I know it is possible. I have done it myself for a pretty long period of time; never getting down to the weight I was in my 20's, but keeping off what I had lost for a while.

If any of you are sweetaholics like me, I had a delicious dessert tonight. A Weight Watchers double fudge cake (150 cal) with lots of sliced fresh strawberries and cool whip. The berries made for a bigger portion of dessert and made it more healthy too! And I made it last for a long time, eating small bites slowly. Normally I scarf down at least two portions of whatever dessert I'm eating. That's why individual servings of ww desserts are good for me.

Once I made some very good low fat brownies and ate about half the pan! I do still have that recipe if anyone wants it, made with fat free sweetened condensed milk, cocoa, and only 3 tablespoons of flour I think. They're moist and good, but it's hard to eat just one.

Gail
  • Yay! Laurie's Here!!
    Hi Laurie! Hi Gail! Hi Cheryl! Hi Lilly! Hi Everyone!

First....welcome to all the newbies! The great thing is that we're all pretty much newbies and we're all off to a great start this New Year. Like I said before, this is the Year of the 50-Chicks!

Had a great evening at Olive Garden...except for that 2nd glass of wine! Ordered the Tuscan T-Bone with broccoli instead of potatoes and had a nice salad with just a teeny bit of that fabulous Olive Garden Italian dressing. Brought more than half of the steak home. Was a great success and I felt really good about it.

Yesterday HH and I made a recipe I found here for Barley, Sausage and Veggie Soup and it's to die for. That's what we'll be eating today. It's a "cold" day (for us) today...was only 33 last night and will only be 55 today. Thank goodness it will be 75 on Monday....that's what winter's usually like here!

Cheryl....GOOD JOB on the 4lbs!!

Gail....I'm going to check out hungrygirl.com...if for no other reason than the great name!!

What's everyone else up to this weekend?