Sugar Busters July 2001 Recipe Board

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • This is the SUGAR BUSTERS JULY 2001 RECIPE BOARD.

When posting a recipe, please make sure all ingredients are SB LEGAL. If there are any ingredients that are NOT SB LEGAL, please post a note with an alternate ingredient that may be substituted in it's place.

If you would like to view any of the old recipe boards, please click on any one of the links below, and they will take you directly to that particular board:

JUNE 2001 RECIPE BOARD

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...?threadid=6035

MAY 2001 RECIPE BOARD

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...?threadid=4770

APRIL 2001 RECIPE BOARD

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...?threadid=3775

MARCH 2001 RECIPE BOARD

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...?threadid=2379

FEBRUARY 2001 RECIPE BOARD

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...?threadid=2375

JANUARY 2001 RECIPE BOARD

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...9743#post19743

DECEMBER RECIPE BOARD:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...9741#post19741

NOVEMBER RECIPE BOARD:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/newr...&threadid=2356

OCTOBER RECIPE BOARD:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...?threadid=2355

SEPTEMBER RECIPE BOARD:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...?threadid=2354

AUGUST RECIPE BOARD:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...?threadid=2353

JULY RECIPE BOARD:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...?threadid=2352

MAY/JUNE RECIPE BOARD:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...?threadid=2351
  • YUMMYYYY!!!!!!
    PEANUT BUTTER MUFFINS

1/2 c Whole Wheat Flour
    1/3 c Bran
    2 ts Baking Powder
    1 tb Sugar
    1 Egg
    1/4 c Natural Peanut Butter (NSA)
    1/2 c Lowfat Milk
    1/3 c Peanuts, chopped (plain, dry roasted)

Combine the flour, bran, baking powder and sugar in a
    bowl. Add the remaining ingredients and blend.

Spoon into oiled muffin tins or paper muffin cups.

Bake in a 375-degree oven for 15 to 20 minutes.

Makes 8

MY NOTES: I used 1TBL of AGAVE NECTAR in place of the TBL of sugar. You CAN use either one since using SUGAR will give you about 2 grams of sugar per serving, which makes it fall under the 3grams or less per serving rule. I used SKIM MILK instead of LF, and in using this, used the extra calcium milk to help boost the calcium of the muffins. I made my own PB and I used OAT BRAN. Since I used AGAVE, I lowered the temp of the oven to 350 degrees and baked them for 15 minutes, which was more than enough. I used paper liners, if you don't let them cool completely, they will stick to the paper a bit. This is NOT a sweet muffin, (though sweet enough for me), if you want it sweeter, try adding a bit more sweetener to it, if so desired.

My calculations came out to be that each muffins is approx 145 calories, 8 grams of fat, 15 carbs, 6 1/2 protein, 2 fiber. I tend to usually do these calculations a bit on the high side.

They were extremely EASY to make, clean up's a breeze and best of all, they were delicious! If I can make them, you know, anyone can!!!

HOPE YOU ENJOY THEM!!!
  • SUMMER SQUASH DELICIOUS

3 small yellow squash, sliced
    3 small zuchinni squash, sliced
    2 onions, sliced
    handful mushrooms(optional)
    1 t. butter or olive oil
    1/2 t. lawry salt
    1/2 c. shredded cheese(your choice)

Melt butter, place cut up squash,onions,mushrooms in pan, sprinkle lawry salt and cook until tender. Top with cheese and serve with your meal. This is my favorite side in the summer.

FRIED CABBAGE

1 head cabbage,chopped
    2-3 onions,chopped
    1 tbs butter or olive oil
    1/2 t. lawry salt

Melt butter and add ingredients, sprinkle with lawry's and cook until tender.

Great summer dish to serve with dinner.
  • You can make this as Hot as you like! Although I like HOT I prefer the medium salsa for this dish. I am giving my
    family size recipe w/planned leftovers.

MEXICAN CHICKEN

Preheat oven to 450'

6 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
    2 Cans Seasoned Black Beans
    1 1/2 c. Medium Chunksy Salsa
    1 c. + Cheddar Cheese more or less according to cheese taste.

Spray a roasting pan w/ Pam or olive oil. Arrange breasts in pan. top w/ Salsa, then beans. Cover pan w/ aluminum foil. Bake 18 minutes or until done. Remove from oven. Remove foil and sprinkle cheese on top, lightly lay foil over top and let sit a few minutes for cheese to melt. Serve over brown rice.

If desired you can put each breast on a square of aluminum foil, put on salsa and beans. Seal each foil packet and place on grill for 11 to 13 minutes. Add cheese in same manner.

This is so good and soooooooooo easy!

• BLUEBERRY BUCKLE

This is delicious!

1/4 cup butter
    1/4 agave nectar
    1 egg
    1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1/3 cup buttermilk or yogurt
    2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries

TOPPING

1/4 cup butter
    2 Tablespoons agave
    1/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter and 8-inch square baking dish.

In a medium-sized bowl cream together butter & agave, and egg & mix. Add flour, baking soda, and buttermilk or yogurt. Mix well. Spread in a prepared baking dish and cover with blueberries.

To make the topping: In a small bowl combine butter, honey, flour and cinnamon until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Spread over blueberries and bake for about 40 minutes. Cut into squares or serve with a spoon.

NOTES: My topping didn't resembe coarse crumbs as I mixed it with a mixer rather than cut it in. I just distributed it all over the top by pushing bits off the spoon-I think the end result is the same.

BLUEBERRY SUPREME

2 egg yolks
    1/2 cup nonfat dry milk
    1/2 cup warm water
    1/4 cup agave nectar
    3 1/4 cups fresh blueberries
    1 1/2 cups yogurt
    1/4 cup pecans

Place egg yolks, dry milk, water and agave nectar in a medium-size saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, for 20 to 30 minutes, or until thickened. Remove from heat.

Stir in 3 cups blueberries, fold in yogurt, and transger to individual serving dishes. Top with pecans and remaining blueberies. Chill for 2 to 3 hours.

Makes 6 servings.
  • Lemon Blueberry Cheese Cake
    Lemon Blueberry Cheese Cake
    Recipe By ottie
    Categoriesesserts
    16 ounces cream cheese
    1/2 cup heavy cream
    1 package s/f lemon gelatin
    1/4 cup boiling water
    3 packets sweetener
    2 tablespoons dried blueberries -- or 1/4 cup fresh/frozen -unsweetened
    1 tablespoon lemon extract -- if stronger lemon flavor is desired
    Mix gelatin w/boiling water to dissolve and let cool while you beat the
    remaining ingredients except the blueberries. Beat until smooth, then beat
    in the gelatin and water. Fold in the blueberries. Refrigerate at least 2
    hours before serving in decorative bowls or glasses. Garnish with 1-2
    more berries and a thin lemon slice if desired.
  • Low GI Cheesecake
    Low GI Cheesecake - A tried and true recipe!

This recipe uses a crust made from Special K cereal.

Cheesecake:
    1 Special K pie crust
    16 ounces cream cheese, softened
    1/2 cup Splenda
    1 tsp vanilla
    2 eggs
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Beat cream cheese until soft and fluffy. Blend in Splenda and vanilla. Add eggs, one at a time, beating thoroughly after each one until mixture is smooth. Pour into crust and bake for about 50 minutes until set. Allow to cool and refrigerate several hours.

Pie Crust:
    3 C Special K cereal
    ½ tsp cinnamon
    2 TBSPs Splenda
    4 TBSPs melted butter

Place cereal in a bag a crush the cereal with a rolling pin or potato masher. Turn and shake the bag frequently to make a consistent crumb. Pour crumbs into a medium sized bowl and stir in cinnamon and Splenda. Pour in melted butter and stir with a fork until evenly blended. Press the crumb mixture into the pie dish. It will not stick as well as traditional graham cracker crusts, just keep gently pressing. Rubbing a little butter to the inside of the pie pan will help. It will firm up after baking. Bake 5-7 minutes until set. Cool slightly and fill as desired.

I top mine with a diluted Smucker’s 100% Simply Fruit and smooth it on as a glaze. Then I top it with a berry (raspberry, strawberry, etc.) that goes with the spread and suits my fancy!
    Yield: 6 to 8 servings.
  • Zucchini Pie
    Zucchini Pie - YUMMMMY!

4 c. thinly sliced zucchini
    1 c. chopped onion
    1/4 c. olive oil
    1/2 tsp. garlic salt
    1/2 tsp. pepper
    1/4 tsp. garlic powder
    1/4 tsp. basil
    1/4 tsp. oregano
    2 eggs, beaten
    2 c. grated cheese - any type (Swiss or Mozzerella are great!)
    1 tbsp. Dijon mustard.

Saute zucchini and onion in oil in pan with oven-proof handle. Stir in seasonings. In mixing bowl, stir together eggs, cheese and Dijon mustard. Combine egg mixture with vegetable mixture, being sure everything is evenly mixed.

Bake in pre-heated 375 degree oven for 18-20 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Makes 4 main dish servings.
  • Spicy Lasagna

12 sheets wholewheat lasagna
    1 tbsp olive oil
    1 small onion, finely chopped
    2 cups chopped tomatoes
    2 cups tomato sauce
    1/4 cup tomato paste
    l large clove garlic, peeled and crushed
    1 tsp dried basil
    1 tsp dried oregano
    2 cups 5% m.f. ricotta cheese
    2 cups 2% m.f. cottage cheese
    1 cup cooked black beans
    1 cup steamed, drained spinach
    1 cup unsweetened salsa
    1 1/2 cup grated hard cheese

Cook lasagna in boiling water 12 minutes, and drain.

Meanwhile, in a saucepan, over low heat, heat olive oil, add onion and cook until tender. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce and paste, garlic and seasonings. Stir well, partially cover, and simmer 10 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350 F.

In a bowl, combine ricotta and cottage cheese. Add beans and spinach and mix.

Place three strips of lasagna in baking dish, cover well with tomato sauce and top with ricotta mixture. Repeat for a second layer.

Cover third layer of lasagna with salsa and tomato sauce, making sure pasta is well covered. Top with rest of ricotta mixture. Place a final layer of lasagna on top, cover well with tomato sauce, sprinkle grated cheese on top and bake 35 minutes.

Serves 4-6.

Recipe from "Recipes and Menus" by Michel Montignac.
  • Buttermilk Pancakes

1 cup Stone Ground Whole Wheat Pastry flour
    1 egg
    1cup buttermilk
    2 tablespoons melted butter (optional)
    1 tbs splenda
    1 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp salt

Mix together all dry ingredients. Beat egg, add buttermilk then add dry ingredients and mix until smooth. Add melted butter. Cook on griddle or in small amount of oil in frying pan.

When I made these I forgot to add the butter and they tasted just fine.
  • SPELT BUTTERMILK BISCUITS

2 cups SPELT flour
    1 tablespoon aluminum-free baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 cup buttermilk

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Grease baking sheet. Combine all
    dry ingredients and add buttermilk until just blended. Drop batter by heaping spoonfuls onto baking sheet. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until lightly browned. Yield: 12 biscuits.
  • CREOLE SHRIMP

2 Green Bell Peppers
    2 Onions
    2 Stalks Celery
    2 Cans Diced Tomatoes (I used 1 regular & 1 Rotel Extra Hot)
    Salt and Pepper
    Olive Oil
    Granulated Garlic (or 3 0r 4 garlic toes minced)
    2# Large Raw Shrimp, cleaned.

Coarsely chop the pepper and celery and saute in olive oil in a large kettle. Then add the chopped onion (pepper and celery take longer to cook than onion, thus the headstart). Saute until onion is translucent. Add the tomatoes, stir and simmer covered
    for 20 minutes or so. Add the shrimp, stir to mix and let cook until shrimp is pink.

Serve over brown rice.

I used Rotel's Extra Hot Chile Tomatoes. But they have cooler
    versions, like tomatoes and jalepenos. Be warned the Extra Hot was hot even with the can of regular tomatoes mixed with it.

If you can't get chili or mexican style canned tomatoes just add some spices like chili powder, cumin etc. Use imagination.

You could make this using just regular tomatoes and no creole seasoning if you like things a little blander

USE YOUR IMAGINATION!!!!!!

I AM NOT A SCIENTIFIC COOK!!!!!
  • Oatmeal Pancakes
    I took Betty Crocker receipe and made it SB legal I think.

1 egg
    1/2 c Whole Grain Wheat pastry flour (I used Arrowhead Mills)
    1/2 c oatmeal (I used Quaker Oats quick)
    3/4 c milk (I used 2%)
    1 tbsp Splenda
    2 tbsp veg oil
    3 tsp baking powder
    1/4 tsp salt
    1 tsp vanilla (my addition)
    1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
    Margarine, butter or shortning

Beat egg with hand beater in medium bowl until fluffy. Beat in remaining ingredients except margarine until smooth. I spritzed the griddle with "I can't believe it's butter" spray. Pour scant 1/4 cup batter onto hot griddle. Turn and cook both sides until golden brown.

Top with your favorite Sb topping. I used Polaner All fruit Strawberry. Enjoy
  • I've had this in my files forever, don't know where I got it so can't give the credit where it is due.

BARBEQUE SAUCE

Tbsp. olive oil
    1/2 Cup chopped onion
    1 Tbsp. minced garlic
    1 15 ounce can of tomato sauce
    1/3 Cup cider vinegar
    1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
    1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
    2 Tbsp. agave nectar OR 2-4 Tbsp. granular Splenda or other sugar substitute (adjust to suit your own taste)
    1/8 tsp crushed red pepper
    1/8 tsp hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco or Frank’s)
    1/4 tsp celery seed
    1 Tbs. lemon juice

Cook onion and garlic in oil until tender, about 5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients, stir well, and bring to a slow boil. Reduce heat and simmer 25 minutes. Adjust seasonings to taste--this recipe is not overly hot and spicy.

You can make it and store it, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
  • PENNE WITH SPINACH AND FETA

1 8-oz. package whole wheat penne (or other whole grain pasta)
    1 14.5-oz. can SF diced tomatoes (suggestion: Redpack Ready-cut tomatoes with garlic and basil)
    1 6-oz. pkg. fresh baby spinach
    1 clove garlic, minced
    ½ t. Mrs. Dash
    ½ tsp. salt
    ¼ tsp. pepper
    1 6-oz. package FF feta cheese with tomato and basil

Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain; and set aside.
    In a large pot heat tomatoes, spinach, garlic, Mrs. Dash and S&P; cook and stir 10 minutes, or until spinach is wilted and mixture is thoroughly heated. Add pasta and cheese, cook 1 minute or until cheese is melted and pasta is heated through.