I need low calorie ideas

• I need help. I JUST started on low calorie diet and need any ideas on low cal stuff to make for myself and my family. I'm a little dumb on calories other that the ones printed on the package. My whole family needs to lose weight and I need some good recipes! Any help would be appreciated.
  • You might start by taking a look at some of the recipes you already enjoy. Just about any recipe can be altered to be healthier and lower in calories. Sometimes, it is just a matter of portion control.

Also, I use Allrecipes.com quite a bit. They have some great recipes and all include the nutritional value and serving sizes.
  • There are recipes on this site, too.
    Also, you might want to consider picking up a low-cal/low-fat/healthy cookbook and get some ideas from there.
    Or, try getting an issue of 'Cooking Light' the next time you're waiting in the isle at the grocery.
  • I don't have any recipes that are particularly low cal but if you are one to cook big meals at home a lot like roasts, lasagna, pizza. Start using ingredients that are the low cal version. Like with roasts instead of making a gravy with adding more fat to the mixture just use the drippings, or horseradish, herb it up when cooking to add flavor. Instead of using cream to make mashed potatoes really smooth use some of the potatoe water with a little bit of milk and add in the dry salad dressing mix to give more flavor. When making lasagna use a low fat cottage cheese to give it more flavor and creaminess with a part skim cheese, and with pizza use chicken more then pepperoni and use different cheeses like feta or parmesean.

I get a lot of my recipes from here and Kraftcanada.com or kraft.com as they have the "healthy living" recipes and lots of great info to. There is also meals.com and recipezaar.com. Plus even if you don't have a membership there is always weight watchers. you won't be able to get into most of the recipes they have but if you dig around a little you can find some really great ones and a lot of these sites offer to send you recipes every week in an email.
    Hope you find what your looking for
  • I don't have any recipes that are particularly low cal but if you are one to cook big meals at home a lot like roasts, lasagna, pizza. Start using ingredients that are the low cal version. Like with roasts instead of making a gravy with adding more fat to the mixture just use the drippings, or horseradish, herb it up when cooking to add flavor. Instead of using cream to make mashed potatoes really smooth use some of the potatoe water with a little bit of milk and add in the dry salad dressing mix to give more flavor. When making lasagna use a low fat cottage cheese to give it more flavor and creaminess with a part skim cheese, and with pizza use chicken more then pepperoni and use different cheeses like feta or parmesean.

I get a lot of my recipes from here and Kraftcanada.com or kraft.com as they have the "healthy living" recipes and lots of great info to. There is also meals.com and recipezaar.com. Plus even if you don't have a membership there is always weight watchers. you won't be able to get into most of the recipes they have but if you dig around a little you can find some really great ones and a lot of these sites offer to send you recipes every week in an email.
    Hope you find what your looking for
  • Here are some of the things I rely on to make it work for me:
    1) Orowheat has a 40 cal/slice bread in a couple different 'flavors'--once that bread is a staple, you can have low cal sandwiches, toast, etc.
    2) Sugarfree jam--10 cal/tablespoon. My personal toast accompaniment (2 bread slices, 2 T of that jam for a 100 cal snack when I just HAVE to have bread)
    3) Vegetarian meat alternatives: my favorites are Morningstar Farms breakfast links (like sausage) at 2 for 80 cal; and Morningstar Farms corndogs (I don't think ANYONE will figure out those hotdogs in these corndogs are vegetarian)--150 calories each.
    4) Sugarfree pudding--I make it with nonfat milk and put in my own mini-cups to toss in with lunch--70 cal each
    5)Better Homes & Gardens New Diet Cookbook--this has got to be the worst named cookbook, but it is the BEST used for me. EVERY recipe has a picture, the recipes use "regular ingredients" (one of my beefs with cooking light it that so many of their recipes are just a little..."weird" for me)--lots of TASTY, low cal options (even when I was on WW, I used this book the most--I just went through and noted points on the recipes)
    6) Sandra Woodruff's "Secrets of Fat-Free Desserts"--good, health conscious desserts (a lot of cheesecake recipes); you can even modify these by substituting some sugarfree options in places to bring the calorie count down
    7)Carb counters/options yogurt--a smaller carton, only 60 calories, and the perfect size to dampen hunger pangs before bed (these are packaged in 4-packs)
    8) Fast food: Subway is the best when you're on the go! Their website (http://subway.com) also lets you customize your sandwich for a calorie count. Wendy's has good options (taco salad is my favorite and was something I age often before dieting too)--also their chili, salads, even some potato options. Applebees--with their WW menu, they are a great place to eat out, especially if you're meeting a non-diet conscious friend because you can have just as lovely a meal without having to spell out all your special requirements. Even a low-cal dessert if you really want a treat.
  • I just found this web site which lists some recipies as well as other nutrition basics. http://www.helpguide.org/life/healthy_recipes.htm
  • Try the weightwatchers site for low cal recipes!
    I alter mine to what I have around
    low cal snack I have are celery with salmon or low fat yogurts etc