Help with Shrimp

• I recently purchased a bunch of frozen large cooked cocktail shrimp on sale at Cub. I have a recipe or two that I can follow, but I was wondering if anyone had any cooking tips about this.

Someone told me that since they are pre-cooked, they don't cook that nicely broiled. Can anyone verify this?

I have one creole-shrimp recipe, where the shrimp is added at the last minute.
    I've also eaten these cold, served with cocktail sauce.

I love shrimp, so any tips or recipes would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
  • Right, since they are already cooked, you want to add them to things at the last minute. They are excellent in stir-fry; you can make a shrimp salad like tuna; add them (defrosted, of course) on any green salad. I have a great, but not low cal, shrimp dip recipe.
  • One of my favorite ways to have shrimp is in a Mexican style shrimp cocktail. I have ordered these at restaurants and love them, and have made a pretty good imitation at home.

The amounts of ingredients aren't really that important.

chopped green onion, couple tablespoons
    salsa of your choice (I like medium), about 2/3 cup
    finely chopped cilantro, couple tablespoons
    avocado diced in small cubes (If I use, I only use a little bit of avocado)
    cooked shrimp, about a cup
    tomato juice (to thin the salsa, not really necessary you can just add more salsa)
    little squeeze of lime (I don't use if I don't have it)
    little bit of Splenda if the salsa is too tart

Just mix everything together (sometimes I don't thaw the shrimp, I just put them in the salsa the night before and let them thaw and marinate in the salsa - but don't add the fresh ingredients till right before I'm ready to eat it)

The restaurants always serve this with a lot of avocado and soda crackers, but I don't eat the crackers and omit or use only a bit of the avocado.
  • I like this one - I cheat and buy roasted red peppers in a jar (packed in water). I got this from a WW cookbook I found for a dollar in a thrift store..

Shrimp and Penne W/ Bell Pepper Sauce

4 red bell peppers roasted
    1/2 c parsley leaves (fresh)
    1/4 c dry white wine
    2 garlic cloves
    1 t dry oregano
    1 lb shrimp
    4 c hot cooked penne (tube shaped pasta)
    pepper to taste

1. In a blender or food processor, puree the bell peppers, parsley, wine, garlic and oregano.
    2. Pour the bell pepper mixture into a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Add the shrimp. Reduce heat and simmer until shrimp turn pink (if added raw) or are heated through (if added precooked). Serve the penne topped with the shrimp mixture; sprinkle with the black pepper.

4 servings
    336 calories
    3 g total of fat 0 g saturated fat
    140 mg cholesterol
    143 mg sodium
    48 g total carbohydrate 4 g dietary fiber
    26 g protein
    6 WW points
  • Mexican Style Shrimp Cocktail
    Quote: chopped green onion, couple tablespoons
    salsa of your choice (I like medium), about 2/3 cup
    finely chopped cilantro, couple tablespoons
    avocado diced in small cubes (If I use, I only use a little bit of avocado)
    cooked shrimp, about a cup
    tomato juice (to thin the salsa, not really necessary you can just add more salsa)
    little squeeze of lime (I don't use if I don't have it)
    little bit of Splenda if the salsa is too tart

Just mix everything together (sometimes I don't thaw the shrimp, I just put them in the salsa the night before and let them thaw and marinate in the salsa - but don't add the fresh ingredients till right before I'm ready to eat it)
    I made this the other day and it was absolutely delicious!! I actually made it a few times and served it with baked tortilla chips for a light dinner or a lunch. Thanks for the recipe!