Happy Bonfire Night (Guy Fawkes)

• To all our UK friends here and abroad, Happy Bonfire Night on Saturday!
  • Thanks! Unless the weather changes, this will be my first Bonfire Night in Canada without snow on the ground!

I'm planning a wee bondy in the back yard topped with a guy made out of some of my old fat clothes. I'll be cooking up a big pot of lentil and veggie soup (instead of the usual chili) to keep us warm.
    Remember remember the fifth of November
    Gunpowder, treason, and plot.
    I see no reason why gunpowder treason
    Should ever be forgot...
    Hope everyone stays safe tomorrow night.
  • We're off to a community bonfire tonight, all bundled up in coats and scarves! I am looking forward to it!!!

In the paper this week was a rather unkind poem........

Remember remember the 5th of November
    Gunpowder, treason and plot,
    Come back Guy Fawkes all is forgiven
    please do something about this current lot!
  • BWahahaahaha! That made me laugh!

• I'm back from our bonfire I am not sure if I have ever been quite so wet in my entire life!!! I had on a thick coat, scarf, hat, glovs and was still wet through when I came home!!!

The fireworks were brilliant!!!! And we had hot potatoes (little ones) and the obligatory piece of parkin (an oatmealey gingery cake) and other than that, have been on plan today.

I am slowly defrosting and drying out!!!!
  • I missed the bonfire round here. I was invited to one in Spain, but it is tonight and I flew back earlier today so missed that too. It would have been strange going to a bonfire and not having to wrap up warm, it would have felt completely wrong.
  • We had a smashing time at our little Anglo-Canadian bondy. No fireworks here though. I was tempted to make a sticky parkin myself yesterday, but I knew I would never be able to stop at just one piece, so I resisted. I made a pan of thick soup, and we played at being pyromaniacs for a couple of hours. It was highly satisfying watching my guy go up in flames wearing my old fat bag-lady clothes from a couple of months ago!
  • I hope everyone that celebrated had a great time. I haven't celebrated Bonfire Night since I lived in Newfoundland, more than 7 years ago. Sure brings back good memories!

~Dee