Jillian's Girls Exercise Journal

You're on Page 90 of 101
Go to
  • I have been increasing my calories this month. The last two or three days they are down as I am out of things that I eat.I started way lower than I should have- but as I workout harder and harder I am eating more.
    Peanut butter is a trigger food for me.Infact there is so much that is a trigger food that I didn't eat much in the begining as I was afraid of setting off the eating machine.Slowly I am getting back to eating regular stuff . I am trying oatmeal- but only one serving instead of three. My goal is to finish out the month with things averaging in the 1400's which is better than where it has been. I am not really hungry and there are days I get busy and forget a snack.I had a similar problem with my last pregnancy. I diligent trying to exercise and watch my diet that I ended up weighing just a few pounds more than my first prenatal visit. Sofia was eight and a half pounds. I actually lost weight being pregnant.
    I could pick up a bag of walnuts for my salads at Sam's- they would bump things for me a bit.
    Today is my cardio day. I can feel Jillian in my glutes and my legs. Workout day two was ok- just really different without someone on the TV telling me what to do. I also have to wear my reading glasses to exercise- otherwise I can't read the page numbers penciled in on my spread sheet.
    It's also shopping day ! I go into the city, hit the Walmart for RX and other items that we are out of. I have my list ready and need to corral the toddler so she can get ready to roll.
  • Week 11, Day 3 - cardio day for me as well. It's done, and I'm feeling good!

I am still SO sore from those jumping squats - and I'm afraid they may have to be done again tomorrow!

Today was weigh-in day - I'm down another 1.25# - yippee!
    That puts me at 22# since the beginning of this year, which is great. Just 19 weeks until the wedding, so even if only 1# a week, I will make my goal!

You gals have a good one!
    Cindy
  • In the spirit of counting calories my BMR changed from 1693 to 1645 over the last month. Last month I tried to keep it below that, more in the 1400 to 1550 range. But I think I might just go with that higher number between now and the vacation. It's about 2 1/2 weeks and I can give it a test.

Just redid day 1 of the workout. It felt really good to get back to it. I am not very good at the end of "things". I have to work at getting better. A whole new schedule now. It doesn't seem like I really want to get up at 5 to exercise now that I don't have to, on the other hand I really like getting that workout out of the way early in the day so it doesn't interfere with anything else.

Sirak I was going to weigh in on the weight of dumbells for lateral shoulder exercises. I really don't go above 5 lbs. on those. I might be able to do more but I am very very careful with my shoulders and I don't think lighter weights hinder my shoulder development at all. My shoulders are about my best thing. Same with knees, I always do less rather than more there. My worst nightmare is that I injure myself and am not able to workout at all. I will go up to 12 lbs. on military presses, but the joint is more protected in that movement.

Gina, I am just dying for you to try the new workout. The spine of my book officially broke today, it is starting to look well used. Which it is. I just loved the challenge of this new workout, and having done it all and restarted it today, I still think the very first workout is the hardest.

Have a good day everyone.
  • I just checked mine - it has gone from 1794, based on my starting weight, to 1701, based on my current weight. So, that's 100 calories a day less, so I stick to my plan to shoot for 1500 calories a day now.
    Cindy
  • Hey Cindy = were we posting at the same time. I just now saw your previous post about losing 22 lbs. this year. That is fantastic!
  • Thanks - I'm thrilled that I've been able to make that much progress so far.

The funny thing is that right now I weigh just about the same I did when I *first* started BFL, in early 2003. However, I am at least a size smaller - proof positive that muscle does make a difference!

One thing I am enjoying right now is that feeling of my extremities shrinking - ankles/shins and wrists/forearms feel smaller than normal to me, and my chest seems less padded. DF is not happy about the reduction in bra size, but I reminded him that they were this small (and deflated) when we first met!

So, I plan to keep up the good work, and to do another round of Jillian's WBL. That will take me to August and then I'll do a month of the new book. With any luck, my wedding dress will be hanging off of me!
    Cindy
  • Morning all. Just back from my workout. Got up at 5:30 and was at the gym by 7. Anyway, getting a haircut today. Taking out the kayak tomorrow and hope for a hike as well.

Cindy, I know what you mean about being a smaller size at the same weight. I think I am getting more and more muscular as well. I know how sweet it is to look at your wrist or your calves and notice that they are smaller. Congrats.
  • Hi girls!!! Finally I have a moment where I can get on the computer!!! Having boys old enough to want computer game time is cramping my style. I have been OP but under major MAJOR stress at work. My review is due and and since sales in general (store wide) are down....looks like pay cuts are inevitable. Not sure though, but I'm worried.....rumor has it being activated soon. On a high note.....my boys competed in a karate tournament on Saturday and although a lengthy wait all day.....finished with medals!!! WHO KNEW?? Dh comes home tonight after a 4 day road trip....so that will be good **wink wink**

I have to catch up on all the posts ....my my lots of news!!
  • angel-eyes so good to SEE you. Man, doesn't work just always get in the way of peace in this life? Anyway, I hope things go better than you are anticipating. Glad to hear dh is coming home and the boys won medals. Now that is cool - Jillian would approve as she is martial artist.

TwinkleGirl, here's a shout out to you. What's up girl? How is school going? I hope all our old lady grumblings don't put you off. We love you here. I admire you so much for taking on this challenge while in school. I know how hard that is. I gained the majority of my weight when I went back to grad school, worked and commuted 450 roundtrip miles TWICE a week. I am the queen of long distance driving I think.

I am feeling on top of things this a.m. I have a pair of goal pants that I have been trying on a lot since starting Making the Cut. This morning they were fitting really good. They buttoned all along but created major muffin top. I think I can get away with wearing them now. I haven't weighed in a week or so. I just wanted to get Mother's Day weekend well behind me. I suspect I am down but for some reason just don't to weigh until I know I am going to be happy. I am very wishy washy in my theory on how often to weigh. Sometimes it is everyday, sometimes not. I just know I am in trouble if I am not weighing and not sticking to diet/exercise. I don't think I am in trouble now 'cause I'm being good. Tonight is my scheduled night though. I will try not to undo too much hard work.

I think I am about where I was this time last year. I also remember the next 10 lbs. making a huge difference. It seemed I went from fat to almost normal with that 10 lbs. so I am trying to hang on to that thought as motivation. I do know the lower you get, the more each pound shows when you lose. I hate doing this over again, on the other hand I get to feel the thrill all over again (I do not suggest this as it is STUPID), but you gotta look at the bright side. I would like to start back to work in August lower than I started back this past year.

No special plans for the weekend.
  • I just have one workout left this week. It hasn't been to difficult although I have had those "burning thighs" from the squats. My worst nightmare occured when I lost my workout sheet with all the notes.It should be in the drawer in the coffee table with my workout stuff- but oh no !So I did alot of page flipping yesterday and then during nap I managed to write everything back down in a huge spiral that seems to end up being my depository for everything. I was glad to see that the new book has an index with page numbers for exercises. The actually workouts look tougher than what I am doing ( but it is week one...).
    The highlight of food this week was grilled squash. My buddy down the street who has the big garden had her yellow squash come in early in a big way. It's like aliens have taken over the plot she has so much squash. Nothing else is well except the squash. So when I was down there to help her ID corn from johnson grass I got a sackful of them. Last night I grilled them with a few green onions and WOW- who needs meat ? I did boneless ribs for the boys and some chicken for Sofia and me. I could have eaten more squash- but wanted to save some for today.
    I swear that I can flex my plecs.
    I hope my old lady grumblings doesn't scare anyone off. I have to do this. When DD2 starts school in a couple years I will be up there at the school with all these young women and I really don't plan on looking like Sofia's Grandmother.
  • Woohoo Sirak - I see that 179! That must feel marvelous.

On the old lady thing. I sure don't feel old and you don't sound old Sirak. I just thought a couple comments we made last week might have made TwinkleGirl feel excluded. You are new Sirak and don't know TG yet. She is the thread hero having actually met and visited with Jillian when she (j.) was in Australia last summer filming The Biggest Loser.

Actually I AM the old lady here. 53 and probably looking every day of it. But my heart is young and I still get invited to parties that folks twenty years, heck 25 years my Jr., give. I am as flattered as I can be to be included with those folks. I think age is a state of mind and I only remind myself how old I am when I am tempted to wear something I am really too old for. You know, don't want to become a joke if I can help it.

Can't wait for fresh squash - that sounds delish.

Yes, the workouts are harder. I did WBL workouts a full year or more so I think they got me ready to do most of the things required in the new book. I still can't do every single thing but I can do most everything. I still balk at Mtn. Climbers but do jumpsquats when required. The thing that I think is lots more efficient with the new workout though are the compound moves (2 exercise at once) and when you exercise the same muscle two different ways back to back (forgot the term for that.)
  • Hey gals - happy Friday!

My hectic days start now - sister arrives tomorrow - need to drive down to JFK to get here, and Mom arrives on Sunday. House is nowhere as clean as I would like it to be, but I and they, just need to get over it. I've killed myself cleaning and sprucing up the yard in the past 7 days, so much so that I skipped Thursdays and Fridays workouts due to total lack of energy. That and the fact that I could use that extra hour to do more stuff!

Wish us luck looking for bridesmaid dresses while they are here, and keep your fingers crossed for me that we don't argue and want to kill each other in general. My mom is very ansy when out of her element, so I have to have lots of "projects" for her to keep herself busy with - gardening, stripping wallpaper, that kind of stuff. Otherwise she wants to leave. But, since she is flying, she'll be stuck until next Saturday, so it could be a LONG week...

Actually, it will most likely be fine - I'm just stressing a bit about the whole thing!
    Cindy
  • For some reason Ledom I bet you are somewhere with a paddle or a shovel in your hand. It's Saturday afternoon and our weather is bliss. I need to mow- but when do I not need to mow ?
    I am not looking forward to ever doing the Mother of the Bride thingy. DD21 is not considering getting married right now-and we might just all book a cruise or do Las Vegas instead of dealing with the little town social scene. When I bought my dress for my wedding I worked at a plant nursery. I had to have it taken in twice. I kept on shrinking as the summer wore on.
    I've been to Farmer's Market ! My sink is over flowing with veggies drying ! I even scored some bulk sesame seeds from the spice lady.
    I also had lunch at Old Spaghetti Warehouse and had just the soup and salad. No bread, no wine, no pasta, no croutons and no they don't have reduced calorie dressing so I had the salad dry.
    Then I went to Sam's on the way home for that giant Gina inspired sack of Walnuts . It's so weird when I get so much down with the kids in tow.
    Dh is out of town so I might get a little cardio in tonight after the kids go to sleep. It's wierd not working out on the weekend.
  • I am SO jealous of you gals who have veggies already! We only have tulips so far! Oh, and most flowering trees have bloomed already - and we have lilacs as well. Produce won't be until early July.

Sirak - I'm in awe of your willpower at Old Spaghetti Warehouse - that is wonderful!

Made it to JFK and back today - no small feat - traffic can be a killer sometimes. But, I was lucky today, and didn't run into anything too nasty, thank goodness!

You gals have a good rest of your weekend! Cold and rainy here.
    Cindy
  • Morning - yes the weather is beautiful here. I have been working in the yard, in the darkroom, back and forth. I feel so free. Hiked yesterday and walked a mile this morning in the neighborhood. Looking forward to tomorrow's visit to the gym.

Good luck with your company Cindy. I know you'll enjoy them, try not to let them get to you though. Family can visits throw your schedule all to ****. Hope you girls find the perfect dresses.

Wish I was kayaking Sirak but I am trying to be disciplined and get a lot of work done. The perfect day will come soon I am sure. Enjoy your squash.