"Every-Day" 21-Day Challenge -- Make it happen!!

You're on Page 8 of 30
Go to
  • wrapping up CRAC Day 1... still unsure of SMAC...
    Ok, I've gotten through the day so far and, after Apple's suggestion, think I am going to split the calorie limit part from everything else. Counting calories is too alien to me and I don't really feel like doing it, meaning I am going to be lax, but learning! Soooo....I don't want to be penalized for going over when I've done everything else. Also, at least I'll have journaled everything, unless I want to go back on that challenge too, which means that I'll be able to calculate the calories, it just may take a day to do so, at least in the beginning, when I don't really care all that much.....well, gotta be honest here... And this journaling thing is important for me because I go on these binges like...how much food can I stuff in myself before sundown.... Let me tell you, it's a LOT!! And then, to top it off, after packing in say 5,000 calories, I moan about not losing weight...

So, I'm calling the no-sugar, no white-flour, journaling thing my "CRAC" (Cut-the-RAunch Challenge) and the calorie limit one (1500 plus exercise allotments, minus veggies and fruit) "SMAC," or (Slim-My-A$$ Challenge). So, I will report like this....Day 3 on CRAC, Day 2 on SMAC and everyone will think I'm a friggin' dope fiend!! I'll probably get kicked off the site. Okay, moving right along.....

Apple -- you see what you did to me, got me onto smack and crack. Oh well, whatever it takes! You were right, no need to put them all together. That would be just setting myself for too much perfectionism and we know where that leads! I think all kinds of draft horses are beautiful and they are so gentle. Lucky you to be able to drive past a bunch of 'em, babies too!! Love the name of that race. Well, you too...splitting the challenges. How about giving us a number on each when you post (well, like once a day). That will help keep you accountable. One reason I like to keep my challenges hard is because for some reason I just don't take things seriously unless it's hard. I've been that way since I was a kid. My mother used to say, "Why do you always have to do everything the hard way?!" I think it just gets my competitive spirit up and that's one of the few things that motivates me. Well, hope you had a good sleep!!

marble -- Calling marble!! Nothing yet....hmmm... Well, it's not been that long. You posted two days ago but carla, your long-lost coach is worried. Maybe she's feeling a wee bit guilty or something.... I'm not worried yet but I would like to see you in here! Come on DOWN!!

carla -- I think marble is fine. Like I said, I went back and checked and it was only a couple days since she last posted. AND, she has not defected. I checked that out too. Dropping that coffee habit sounds good. All that cream surely adds up and sugar too. It's easy to get into. I always just put a bit of milk in my coffee or tea but on the days I was eating (bingeingn) on sugar between challenges I started putting in sugar just because I could! and I can see how I could get a taste for that. It is good, but so bad for you. I hear that a cup of coffee before you exercise helps the body break down fat, but all that is canceled out if you put any cream or sugar in it. 7,000 sounds great. Where all are you walking? If you're sore from the gazelle, pop an aspirin...the crack head says...no really, stretching through the pain will help it go away faster but if it's too painful to do that just dull the pain and do it. Of course, be careful to just do GENTLE stretching or you'll really injure yourself. I am coming down with something. Couldn't breathe this morning and needed to sleep! Got to ride Heidi but it was exhausting. I hope I won't get a bad bout of asthma tonight from overdoing it today. My teacher asked how I was and when I told her I could breathe but was really tired, she chided me saying, "why do you come out to ride." and I told her "even if I'm tired I want to ride." Riding and being with the horses just puts me back in balance. I get out in the countryside, walk through tea fields and over vegetable fields. It's just so good to be away from the **** that is Tokyo.

...and for the all-too-approximate carla....a tempest in a teapot...

"...We are such stuff
    As dreams are made on, and our little life
    Is rounded with a sleep..."

you see, you're ALREADY all you need...the dreams are made on us, not winning the lottery...course it would be nice...good luck!

mez -- You really mustn't always be apologizing about writing long. Your little posts are nothing compared to some of mine, or carla's And you express JUST FINE! What did I tell you about that kind of stuff!? We're going to get the strait-jacket out again! You see, listen to your little boy! Well, thanks for joining up with me! With the time difference, it's hard to tell what day is what but we're close enough. Yours sounds like a great challenge, a threeway challenge -- exercise -- no weigh-in -- staying on plan. That's a doozie! Good luck!
  • I am so happy this morning! I found my cat!!!

my challege on the other hand went down the tubes.. guess i will be starting with day 1 tomorrow!!!
  • curly -- That's fantastic news. I was wondering about him. Which one was it? Does he look okay? Okay, lots of us just starting out so you'll have company! Good luck again!

BTW, where is Chaps?!?!? I was thinking she was between challenges but then I remembered she started on that super exercise challenge...Chaps!!! You out there?! Come back and talk to us!!!
  • Red, thanks for your advice about my stiff old bod. I wouldn't go so far as to call it pain, just the usual "ouch!" surprise when we re-awaken a body part. I can hardly wait until the aftermath of my first spinning class of the season on the 7th. Maybe time to stock up on Advil, the runner's friend...

Curly, I am so glad your cat came back! As I was dropping off to sleep last night, I was wondering about you - your last post had sounded so forlorn, and then you disappeared. Restarting the challenge is no biggie compared to finding your lost baby. Have you ever seen a short animated film called "The Cat Came Back"? It's Canadian, so may not be available to everyone, but it's hilarious. The story of a guy who finds an abandoned demon kitten on his doorstep, which proceeds to destroy his home and his life as he desperately tries to rid himself of it. All to the refrain of "the cat came back, the very next day. The cat came back, they said he was a goner but the cat came back...". There's also a hauntingly beautiful song by Canadian folksinging sisters Kate and Anna McGarrigle called "Kitty Come Home"; Anna had written it about missing her sister who had moved away, and it has been running thru my mind constantly since you told us your cat had been purloined

Apple and Red, are you familiar with a type of horse called the Canadian horse? Apparently they had almost disappeared, but now there are a few breeders here. A friend who rides says they are small and sturdy, with furry feet like Clydesdales (more approximate terminology there...). She says they are lovely. In fact, Heidi sounds a lot like them! A few years ago when I was still running I would go to an annual race in a small farming town outside Ottawa every January. It was always &/%$)"$* cold, but breathtakingly beautiful with bright, sunny, clear skies. Anyway, one year we parked the car next to a field and there were two Clydesdales there frolicking and snorting big clouds of steam and chasing each other. A glorious sight. And it fit with us Clydesdale runners out enjoying the sharp, crisp day. (Can you tell I loved winter running? Absolutely exhilarating! And if I can get my feet back in shape, I'd love to get out there again.) As for Clydesdale runners, I've always been in that category: for women I think Clydes start at 140 or 150 lbs, for men at some equally ludicrous low weight. I think it was the bigger runners themselves who came up with the name. So many distance runners are very short with a slight build. (Except of course the Kenyans who as a rule are tall and skinny and win all the race.

I wouldn't be worried about Marble except for her tendency to roll in poison ivy and do face plants fall on ceramic floors and so on. And she's usually a pretty faithful poster. Maybe she's taken a day or two off work to work on her endless reno? So Marble, the is calling! Be warned: if you don't come back soon there may be more song lyrics posted here any minute...

Gotta go. Time to head out to work.
  • curlylocks - I'm happy to hear your kitty had made it's way home.

Red - Here I sit trying to wake myself up! I'm going to plan my day. Glad the day is going well for you! Keep it up. Think of me by your side cheering you on! I can't think of the artist right now but here's the just of the song. I GET KNOCKED DOWN - BUT I GET UP AGAIN - I GET KNOCKED DOWN BUT I GET UP AGAIN - AN"T NOTHING GOING TO KEEP ME DOWN!!! Can you hear me singing that to you? Do I sound good? LOL
    Keep going and I'll report back later!

Come on every one RIDE THE TRAIN THE CHOO CHOO TRAIN>>> I THINK I CAN I THINK I CAN....

off to make my breakfast ttl
  • Yesterday was day 9, at 1070 calories. I know, too low, but it was the day from H-E-double hockey sticks. I left work at 9 pm and brought work home, which i then did from 11 pm until 4 am. And back at work at 9 this morning.

Oh well. such is life. In keeping with our song lyrics theme . . . "Workin' 9 to 5" Um, NOT!

It seems as though everyone is in a chipper mood today. Yay!!! And Curly, you found your kitty!

Alright, I am crazy busy, and don't want to have to work until 4 am again, talk to everyone later!
  • on to Day 2 on both challenges....
    Good morning, all. Not much action around here. At least, we have some of our dependables here.
    Thanks. I need you these days more than ever.

Well, I figured out the calories from yesterday and I slipped by because of the exercise. I really should take nuts out of my diet because they are just too high. I can see how the calories just add up way, way too fast. But, I won't take them out. They will be like my treat if I have the calories left over. I wonder how many calories there are in a lowfat tall cafe latte? Probably not that many. It's just milk. I've been having them on work days (at the office) but no sugar so it's probably negligible. Well, I'm sicker than yesterday maybe, though I could breathe because I'd taken Nyquil last night, but my chest is congested and I'm drained. Wish I could stay home from work and get paid for it.....oh well, onward march!

Fish -- I don't know how you do it, staying so low with your calories. But, I guess that's why your weight is so low. Darn...it looks like I am really going to have to eat like a sparrow if I am ever to be thin. Hope you get through these busy times okay!

mez -- Thanks for the song, kiddo. I don't know that song but it sounds like my life. Hope you get your day planned out well. I'm cheering you on too!

carla -- I know the "pain" you are talking about. It's just sore muscles but for me at least it's enough to take an aspirin over because I just hate moving in pain. A spinning class will knock your muscles out as you go fast and that builds up the lactic acid, which is I believe where a lot of the pain comes from. They say if you drink some juice (something with citric acid) afterward...try watering it down like a spritzer..it helps the body recuperate.

I never heard of that movie. Sounds spooky. Is it? or is it a comedy? I don't know the Canadian horse. Sounds cute but I think you may have gotten the wrong impression of Heidi. She actually looks like a normal horse, meaning a Quarter Horse or so, just small. She's what they call a cob, not a pony, but only 15 hands, so not a horse. Ponies are below 14 hands. Don't know if you know about the hand measure for horses. She's not furry at all. I've been to the Oktoberfest in Munich many times and the horses there who pull the wagons in the opening parade are so beautiful, with the long hair on their feet.

That race sounds fun. I can't believe they call someone 140 lbs a Clydesdale runner!! Damn. I am 160 lbs now and if I lost 20 lbs I think I'd be pretty thin. You are really going to give me a complex telling me this. Then again, I keep telling you how big I am....
  • Morning all,

Quick note here. We are on our way from schoo to Nagoya today. Dont have a lot to report. Things here are fine and mostly warm. Someone asked me if I was cold today but it is quite pleasant out there. Went for a run in the school grounds this morning so that got the aeroplane kinks out of the way. Didn't get lost either.

This keyboard is a killer, very small space bar. I end up with one very long word every so often. No idea what some of the symbols mean either. But it is all fun.

I think Mel is tired and a bit stressed. No doubt she will be back.

We have done a 55 minute English class this morning. Lots of fun and shouting so I think that is it until a kindy class tonight.

Glad to hear it is all going okay with everyone so far. Try to get back tomorrow again.
    Now I better get ready to read the signs to the railway station. It's all fun!
  • A bit of a slow day here. No doubt many of our crew are out being incredibly virtuous, and have no time to post between working out and downing nothing but tofu, eggplant, and bran. I, of course, have done nothing of the sort, and may even have to start over again. Not that I've actually slipped up on my goals: I did my 10,000 steps, had no wine, and fully intend to Gazelle before bed. But I know I shouldn't have eaten some of the goodies I've had. I'll decide later if I'm at the end of Day 3 or about to go to Day 1 again. Tomorrow will be a pause day, however, as I'm booked to go drink wonderful Cranberry Cosmopolitans at the very ritzy Château Laurier hotel in the evening in belated honour of my birthday. My life is so hard. Not. (The cosmos are so very worth the calories. A good thing they're too expensive to do to often.)

Spinning is a very favourite exercise of mine for some reason. I had to drop out last Jan after I fell on my coccyx learning to xcountry ski. And I was doing a weekly 90 minute class at that time. (Fat me surrounded by the kind of nutbars who run in from the suburbs, spin at top resistance for 90 min while barely sweating, and then run back home. Only a slight exaggeration, I fear.) I don't know why, but I really enjoy working out with the jocks. No cute little half-naked outfits, no glistening hairless bodies - just crazed hyperactive people with no bodyfat. And me.

What I find interesting is that the massage therapist I used to go to is an Ironman triathlete, in fantastic shape, slim and firm and bursting with health. And I once said something about not recognizing her outside in her running clothes because she looked bigger in running tights (I meant taller), and she looked just as upset as if I had said I mistook her for an elephant. So everyone has insecurities, even those who've been blessed with an abundance of energy and a seriously cute figure. (Needless to say, I stopped the massages around the time my weight got to be too humiliating to enjoy massage. I was always afraid she'd dig her fingers into an aching roll of flab somewhere and get stuck... )

Today's song was "I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell right now...", which I think is probably appropriate for all of us from time to time. Red, don't let anything get you down. and those lattes shouldn't be too bad on calories. I know I love to indulge in a good nonfat cappucino (skim milk froths really well) myself. And some theories - no doubt funded by the dairy industry - claim that dairy products stimulate weight loss.

The film I was talking about is just an animated short. You might be able to borrow a copy from the Canadian embassy, actually. I think they have that kind of stuff in their libraries, and it may well have won an academy award. Another one I really like is "The Log-Rollers' Waltz", another animated short set to a rolicking song by Kate and Anna McGarrigle (who you probably also don't know). The old cultural divide strikes again... A lot of that stuff is produced by the National Film Board or Telefilm Canada.

Please apologize to Heidi for my slur on her hairless tootsies. I think you said she was part quarter horse and I read Clydesdale.

Shad, I've been writing such a windy post here you've had time to sneak in and out with your own contribtion. It sounds like you're having a good time. Isn't most of urban Japan too crowded and polluted to enjoy running? Or am I showing my ignorance and cultural stereotyping again?

Gotta go. I hear the plaintive call of the lonely Gazelle.

Marble, get that plump bootie back on this thread!!! Tell us what's up!

BFN
  • glad you found your cat
  • Red - Hey kid how's it going? You sensing me by your side and covering your eyes so you don't see all those bad choices? I know I was thinking of you today when I almost went crazy with food. The day went by so fast I got a call from my sister today saying she was on her way to pick me up! Of course I hadn't done my workout and said that she said no excuses we're going out! So out I went! I had a ton of fun and don't regret one minute. My sister was having a bad day I think it is the weather. Well we walked and walked and talked and talked then we ate. I got home and crashed! I woke watched a movie with my DH and now ready to settle into bed. I got an eletric heating pad last year it was fairly cold lastnight so I put it on my bed. I have it fired up right now... can't wait... I'm going to count all that walking at my 10 minutes.

carla49 - I know the song and sure do feel that at times! The music video is fairly weird. LOL I just love reading your post.

Joy - Sounds like you had a busy day!!! I think you just wore me out even more thinking what you did.

Well I'm off to bed ladies...
  • Yesterday was day 10 - waaay under 1500 at only 985 calories. I think today is going to be a little less hectic at work though. I even have soups to eat in my office, i just get too busy to even think about eating

Carla - your posts always make me smile
    I think all women (maybe even all men) have insecurities about their bodies. I was talking with one of the women I work with - she is my age (35) and quite slender. I was mentioning something about my diet, or needed to lose weight, she thinks I look great, and is completely envious of my skin/complection (Most people think i am about 25-26 years old). Now, I think she is really pretty, in like a sophisticated New York way, but she is unhappy about one of her features just like I am unhappy about one of mine. I have another very slender friend who is maybe(?) an A cup, and she wants to be bigger with a bigger chest. She also thinks that she is plain, and I am pretty. Now, I am not denying her belief that I am pretty but she is anything but plain.

This is my long, rambling way of saying we should all concentrate on our good parts rather than what we percieve as our bad parts. Of course I am just as guilty of being negative! You all have seen my "I hate Monday" posts where I beat myself up for eating too much over the weekend But let's all make the most of this weekend to be good to ourselves!

Speaking of being good to ourselves - Mez, how very altruistic of you to forgo your exercise in order to keep your sister company I hope you all had a good time together. I love hanging out with my sister. We talk on the phone almost every day, and try to do something together at least once a month.
  • Fish – LOL @ forgoing my exercise to keep my sister happy! Sometime I’m just to giving! Hehe I have 7 sisters and some of us are closer than others. Right now there is a lot of drama going on between a couple. I get called the peace maker because I’m always trying to get thing worked out between them. I’m sure it will all workout but I hate how much time it takes. Plus It’s getting close to x-mas and we have a huge party called Mother Daughters xmas We play family trivia. (we think of things in the past and you have to guess who/what they did) We have prizes for right answer and you can even trade with someone w/o them saying so the 1st couple rounds. Final rounds you keep what you have and then open them. I ALWAYS go for the Wine Bottle shapes. Now I have rattled on and on..sorry it’s just I’m so excited. I do think we should change it I feel my dad is starting to feel left out. I really didn’t think he would since my sisters and I get together with just him every year around x-mas to make tamales. (I’m Spanish) I guess it was my turn to blab on an on.. Now your 985 Calories for yesterday how ??!!! OMG don’t think I’ve been that low since I was a wee babe. So far never been to busy to think about eating but have forgotten I’ve eating. Fish I’m sure you do look great and these sound wonderful true friends. They are being honest and talking to you. I bet what you said to them made them think about themselves.

Red – Did you grab that balloon? I’m hoping so. I’m going to tie it around your wrist like I did my kids when they were young. See since I did that I can’t leave you alone. You know the whole string going around your neck and hurting you. So I’ll keep a close eye on you until I can untie it from your wrist and you can hold it on your own.  Now here’s lots of good vibes going your way today.
  • Day 8 done. I actually really like doing the sit ups and under all that fluff there might be a decent set of abs. I am already seeing a little more definition, imagination may be required....
    I can't believe I haven't GAINED weight with the way I've been eating. The other day I may have easily consumed 4000 (not your 5000, Red, but I'm not too far behind!) Just makes me wonder what would happen if I really worked harder at this....
    Curly I'm so glad you found your cat! I lost a cat once, she was missing for 3 or 4 days before I found her. She had been in a fight with some other beast and hid under the house. I was so excited to hear her meow but at first I couldn't figure out where she was.I took her to the vet and she had developed an anaerobic infection, the vet had never treated one before. She needed a drain kept in her leg for a while, it was gross. She was always getting herself into trouble....
    Fish-how do you feel about your progress? How much have you lost since you started this challenge? I'm thinking about trying it too. After Halloween Counting cals has always been the most successful way to lose weight. And I'm running out of time....I was hoping to have made quite a bit of progress by Thanksgiving. anyway, I admire your will power!!!
    Red- I hope you are felling better!
    Where is Chaps???
    Carla-Cranberry Cosmos sound yummy Have fun!!!
    Busy week-end coming up, I'll try to at least keep up with you guys!
  • Apple Blossom - I feel as if now that I made it through the first weekend, my progress is going much better on this challenge. Today will be day 11, which means I am 1/2 way there! I have already scheduled tomorrow as a pause day as well, because we are going to a wedding.

Officially, I have lost only 1 pound since I started this challenge, but unofficially, I think I have dropped another 2 pounds this week (my official weighing day is Tuesday - this tuesday i was down 1 lb to 145; i stepped on the scale this morning and it said i was at 143, but I won't count that as a definite until next Tuesday.) I am hoping that I keep the loss up.

If I wanted to make this challenge harder, I would give myself a range, like must be at least 1300 and no more than 1500. I don't really like it when I eat only 1000 or so calories because I know it isn't really good for me. I am just happy I remembered to eat lunch today!